• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2021 7:29 pm
[OP]
Apr 30, 2021
7 posts
2 upvotes

[Remote Job Posting] Ministry of Health - Systems Developer/Tester

https://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/Preview.as ... bID=163770

The Ministry of Health is the area of the government of Ontario that is responsible for administering the health care system in Ontario. The Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) program insures medically necessary physician, laboratory and hospital services for eligible patients.

The Health Services I&IT Cluster (HSC) is accountable for developing, testing, and enhancing Ministry/HSC business I&IT solutions while responding to changing business drivers that encompass legislative requirements, technology currency, and new business solutions to support the achievement of the Ministry's operational and transformational objectives.

The Payment and Registration I+IT Solutions (PRS) branch is responsible for the development, sustainment, improvement, and modernization of the core I+IT solutions for the OHIP Program.

The Health Services I&IT Cluster, Payment and Registration I&IT Solutions Branch, is looking for and IT professional to provide systems design, programming, testing, and ongoing support for new and revised applications supporting the Medical Claims Mid-Tier Team.

Why work for the Ontario Public Service (OPS)?

The OPS supports career and leadership development, invests in learning opportunities, recognizes team and individual achievements, and supports flexible work arrangements.

We are re-thinking how we deliver our services. Through various modernization initiatives, we are now accessing and delivering critical services remotely. We are striving to enable a future-ready OPS workforce through enterprise-wide strategies.

What can I expect to do in this role?

As a Systems Developer / Tester, you will:
- Provide business and systems analysis, programming, systems testing and technical support in the development and implementation of new and revised business information systems.
- Perform programming tasks using various industry standard programming languages and operating systems under the direction of more senior team members or the project leader or supervisor.
- Participate in the testing and validation of proposed solutions by thoroughly testing complex computer programs, participating in prototyping sessions with groups of end users to demonstrate segments of the system, documenting any concerns expressed and making necessary program changes as directed.
- Perform assigned unit and/or system testing tasks including functional testing, acceptance testing, regression testing, volume testing, performance testing, post implementation validation and/or user acceptance testing tasks including re-testing any modifications which arise as a result of this testing; ensuring integrity of project documentation by resolving all relevant modifications resulting from testing and implementation
- Review client, system and software requirements documents to prepare software requirements documents and detailed design documents which satisfy these requirements.
- Write, edit, and maintain program, systems, user, and operational documentation for assigned portions of a system.
- Contribute to complete systems development and testing documentation including detailed test plans, test strategies and test suites; developing and enhancing automated test scripts through the use of industry standard tools (i.e. Rationale Suite) and maintaining comprehensive materials to support audit.

Please note: On-call and overtime, including weekends, may be required in order to meet project deadlines and manage/resolve production incidents or issues.

How do I qualify?

Knowledge and Technical Skills:
You have demonstrated knowledge of:
- various industry standard programming languages and development techniques for all phases of web and cloud-based development to perform assigned programming and debugging for moderately complex business applications
- various industry standard relational database management systems databases such as DB2/IMS/Oracle and query tools such as SQL to ensure that the integrity of the production databases will be maintained after implementation of a new or modified application
- various industry standard systems development life cycles, methodologies such as Waterfall, Iterative, Agile and UPM and techniques

- various industry standard testing methods, techniques and tools at various levels of testing such as unit, integration, system, UAT, and others to:
conduct system testing by executing online test scripts, and manual test cases
develop assigned portions of testing documentation including detailed test cases, automated test scripts, and comprehensive audit materials
identify and debug problems encountered with software usage
- various industry standard systems analysis methods and techniques in order to:
establish business, information, and system testing needs
review client business and information requirements and design and develop applications which satisfy these requirements
evaluate costs and benefits of various application options and recommend appropriate, cost-effective solutions
analyze and create test data to support the systems testing strategy

Analytical and Research Skills:
You have:
- analytical skills to determine the nature of issues or problems, including researching relevant materials and comparing and verifying information
- the ability to respond to the issues or problems by evaluating and comparing a number of existing alternatives and selecting the appropriate action
- the ability to work effectively in a team environment, sharing information and communicating with co-workers, management and clients

Communication and Interpersonal Skills
You have:
- written and oral skills to convey, fully grasp and explain detailed information which may involve specialized information technology terminology; and to follow, present and discuss logically developed, complex arguments, ideas or issues
- interpersonal skills to provide clarification and explanation to deal with problems or complaints and to assist with others' understanding of computer hardware and software
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5518 posts
4588 upvotes
so the salary is 60k- 72k .. is the salary that low because of remote work and it's a "kingston" based position?
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22171 posts
2830 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: so the salary is 60k- 72k .. is the salary that low because of remote work and it's a "kingston" based position?
It's Canada wages and it's just pathetic. The benefits of working in the public sector does not outweigh the salary you can make at a private firm at this point...

This is why they have issues like with the Phoenix pay system.. All the smart people bail
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
3595 posts
1086 upvotes
GTA
StatsGuy wrote: so the salary is 60k- 72k .. is the salary that low because of remote work and it's a "kingston" based position?
The salary is for that level so the guys working in Toronto and who were taking GO to the office are making the same as well.

With the public sector though it’s when you start adding pensions, benefits and the relaxed work hours that it’s starts to make sense.

One of my girlfriends who is always on the Sunshine list has literally been working from home watching Netflix most of the days at the same time, while her GTA house has doubled in the last 4 years.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5518 posts
4588 upvotes
badmus wrote: The salary is for that level so the guys working in Toronto and who were taking GO to the office are making the same as well.

With the public sector though it’s when you start adding pensions, benefits and the relaxed work hours that it’s starts to make sense.

One of my girlfriends who is always on the Sunshine list has literally been working from home watching Netflix most of the days at the same time, while her GTA house has doubled in the last 4 years.
Lack of bonuses, stock options and very rigid working hours and poor benefits don't makeup for a mediocre pension. The pension is nothing great and benefits suck with no spending accounts and way more restrictions

My friend is in OPS, no work from home before covid19, didn't even get stipend for buying wfh desks and I used my wellness account towards a peloton for example and I got 1k additional for buying whatever I needed for wfh

I just don't see anything special about benefits or pension in govt that comes close to making up way lower salary, benefits, stocks, bonuses

I took a look before at my friend in OPS benefits and it's worse than my jobs at big banks and telcos and consulting

With such poor compensation, no wonder they can't get any good workers especially in tech
Deal Addict
May 19, 2015
1331 posts
769 upvotes
GTA
george__ wrote: It's Canada wages and it's just pathetic. The benefits of working in the public sector does not outweigh the salary you can make at a private firm at this point...

This is why they have issues like with the Phoenix pay system.. All the smart people bail
Not that I disagree with the sentiment but so many things wrong with your response.

1. Phoenix is federal, this is the provincial job posting
2. Phoenix was designed by consultants (aka the private sector where you say all the smart people go), public servants flagged Phoenix wasn't ready to be implemented but you know, good ol' Harper...
3. wages depend on your level, unfortunately, the higher you go and the more specialized you are then yes you CAN/MAY get paid better in private (but some people prefer stability etc over just money, its not all about money), but for typical entry/ "lower level" jobs like basic admin you get paid much better than private and have a DB pension on top of it
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone