Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
3061 posts
588 upvotes
North York

Removal of McAfee pop-ups

I am constantly getting pop-ups from McAfee that my subscription has expired and to renew, etc.

I have removed the app through my control panel but it still keeps popping up.

Is there a another file or location where I can go to and remove these pop-ups?

I am a computer noobie, so any advice would be welcome.

I am currently on windows defender and Malwarebytes - free version.

TIA
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7170 posts
7830 upvotes
Toronto
sheriffabc wrote: I am constantly getting pop-ups from McAfee that my subscription has expired and to renew, etc.

I have removed the app through my control panel but it still keeps popping up.

Is there a another file or location where I can go to and remove these pop-ups?

I am a computer noobie, so any advice would be welcome.

I am currently on windows defender and Malwarebytes - free version.

TIA
You need to use the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR)

How to remove McAfee products from a PC that runs Windows

How to remove McAfee software with the MCPR tool
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12424 posts
7008 upvotes
Brampton
Even the MCPR doesn't work all that great. I'm finding on some machines the come with McAfee like Asus and Dell the service (mcafeeintegration) is burned with in to the Win 10 image and nothing can remove it short of a fresh install from a Clean Win 10 image.
Second option is just to disable it from Services.msc.

Mean while you can remove Armoury Crate and it screw up the Asus laptop and Asus doesn't always provide the proper reinstall files from their site.
Last edited by tebore on Sep 9th, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 12, 2007
383 posts
209 upvotes
Just in case run a full virus scan with defender to make sure you don't already have some type of virus/malware installed.
Make sure you have all the latest windows updates installed as before running the scan...
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3217 posts
1963 upvotes
SW ON
Uninstall it? Has anyone tried uninstalling it? I think it should do it. Go to "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features".
Jan 19, 2006
504 posts
313 upvotes
BC
Anyone got a fix for the McAfee "Yahoo Secure" search engine hijack?

I delete Yahoo Secure from the browser's search engine list, select Google to be default, and Yahoo Secure returns as the default search engine. Confused Face
May 20, 2018
62 posts
90 upvotes
If you can't remove McAfee through MCPR or Apps and Features then other software installed over time is causing problems.

A Windows reset (Shift + Restart, Troubleshooting, Reset this PC, Remove everything) puts everything back to factory and then you can uninstall McAfee before installing anything else. Just remember to choose Remove everything instead of Keep files otherwise that won't get rid of the problem.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13386 posts
2605 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
cloudsuck wrote: Anyone got a fix for the McAfee "Yahoo Secure" search engine hijack?
Check your browser's add-ons.

Before doing a Windows reset, open a Command prompt and enter "msconfig" to see what crap services are running and what crap startups you have.

Personally, I use Autoruns, but you can do a lot of damage if you don't know what you're doing.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4942 posts
778 upvotes
Calgary
I am having a similar issue with Avira. I want to keep to running (free of course) but once a day I get a popup to upgrade to the paid version. I have searched and tried to remove the popup but no success.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13386 posts
2605 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I used to use Avira, until it became too annoying :) .