• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2022 8:24 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2953 upvotes
Montreal

Removal of Subforum links in Personal Finance

I primarily browse Personal Finance and its 3 subforums(Investing, RE, CC). Having links to the 3 subforums made it easier to browse between them. I've long wondered why the 3 subs didn't also have links to PF and the other 2 subforums.

For some reason all links have now been removed from PF. How is this an improvement?

Please bring back the links to other PF subforums and while you're at it add them to all 3 subforums for easier browsing.

Thanks for reading.
Wealthsimple Premium
27 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36617 upvotes
Scarborough
We created a new top level category for all of our Personal Finance themed forums to better organize them. Keeping them as sub-forums meant they were hidden away and as these forums became more popular, we wanted to give them more visibility.

category.png

You can use the category view to sort of replicate what you've been used to seeing and have the "sub-forum" links at the top.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2953 upvotes
Montreal
Fair enough, thanks for the explanation.

How does one access the category view other than through your link? The category heading isn't clickable from the general Forums page. Moreover once you're in one of the subforums, how do you get back to PF or the PF category view. The subforums no longer have a PF link/category view link at the top.
Wealthsimple Premium
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2462 posts
2595 upvotes
Toronto
Could you please add the Credit Cards subforum to this menu:
rfd.png
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36617 upvotes
Scarborough
S5 wrote: How does one access the category view other than through your link? The category heading isn't clickable from the general Forums page. Moreover once you're in one of the subforums, how do you get back to PF or the PF category view. The subforums no longer have a PF link/category view link at the top.
Right now it's just via the link I provided which you can bookmark. I think we might be able to make it actually clickable from the forums homepage though. I'll look into that.
yesnomaybe wrote: Could you please add the Credit Cards subforum to this menu:
Let me see if we can get that added to the list or not.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
Thanks

How do you decide top categories? Customized based in individual click history or overall visit #?

I feel it's more confusing than ever. Like how often do you change top categories? Do you have limitations on how many categories will you have?

For example, I think computer sub forum is also quite active
Jan 15, 2021
7 posts
3 upvotes
How can we access these subforum in the app? I cant find them this morning.
Images
  • upload.png
  • upload.png
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36617 upvotes
Scarborough
smartie wrote: Thanks

How do you decide top categories? Customized based in individual click history or overall visit #?

I feel it's more confusing than ever. Like how often do you change top categories? Do you have limitations on how many categories will you have?

For example, I think computer sub forum is also quite active
When I mentioned "top level category", that just means a category on the forums homepage. Currently there are 6 of those and they exist to organize similar forums together.

In recent years each finance themed forums became very popular and we wanted to highlight them more as many casual visitors might not even know about them. Previously they were lumped in with our general discussion forums and 3 of them existed as sub-forums.

This was the first new category created in a very long time and there's no plans to add another in the near future. That could change however, so if suddenly we have 5 separate computer themed forums, we might at that time decide a category to hold those might make sense.

MaximeQc wrote: How can we access these subforum in the app? I cant find them this morning.
You're using our old forums app which we discontinued over 2 years ago now. If you switch to our main app (which has had native forums support for a while now), you'll still see those forums.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2750 upvotes
Vancouver
I can't find it now.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2750 upvotes
Vancouver
TomRFD wrote: We created a new top level category for all of our Personal Finance themed forums to better organize them. Keeping them as sub-forums meant they were hidden away and as these forums became more popular, we wanted to give them more visibility.

category.png

You can use the category view to sort of replicate what you've been used to seeing and have the "sub-forum" links at the top.
IMO, it's super dumb for the credit card thread not to show up under Forums > Discussion.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36617 upvotes
Scarborough
Speedy1 wrote: IMO, it's super dumb for the credit card thread not to show up under Forums > Discussion.
yesnomaybe mentioned this earlier and we're looking into adding it to that particular menu.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
If we want to promote popular forum, we need move suggestions and BST to the bottom.
Images
  • 0281EDF2-3E25-4202-9364-49114C103693.jpeg
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36617 upvotes
Scarborough
smartie wrote: If we want to promote popular forum, we need move suggestions and BST to the bottom.
We're already looking into that as a next step. We didn't want to shift those forums too far from where they previously were (Discussion category) right off the bat.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2015
1312 posts
498 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Hi All, I'm using the rfd android app, version: 4.1.0. I can't see / access personal finance forums after logging in..
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36617 upvotes
Scarborough
nahsha wrote: Hi All, I'm using the rfd android app, version: 4.1.0. I can't see / access personal finance forums after logging in..
We need to update the app to mirror the web categories (which now includes a separate Personal Finance category), but you can still view all these forums under "Discussion" which was their previous home.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2015
1312 posts
498 upvotes
Montreal, QC
TomRFD wrote: We need to update the app to mirror the web categories (which now includes a separate Personal Finance category), but you can still view all these forums under "Discussion" which was their previous home.
I can't see personal finance related forums under discussion thats the main issue..
Images
  • upload.png
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36617 upvotes
Scarborough
nahsha wrote: I can't see personal finance related forums under discussion thats the main issue..
Now that's strange! It could be a permissions thing since I can definitely still see them but it shouldn't be restricted to just the admin usergroup. Let me look into this and I'll post an update soon!
Nov 24, 2015
559 posts
182 upvotes
UX feedback.

its very hard to navigate to the credit card forum. its not under the main Personal finance menu on the PF forum and also the drop down menu under PF doesnt show the sub forums.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
Can we add credit card forum in the top section area? It's hard to navigate now
Images
  • 6CD0AA2C-6162-4CBC-AFBC-A020ADA3B140.jpeg

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)