• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2021 11:23 am
[OP]
Nov 3, 2018
13 posts
5 upvotes

Removal of the wired lamp post in the front/back yard

Hi RFD,

The house I moved in this year has two lamp posts in the front and back yard, they are wired and the wires are buried underground, I have been wondering how to remove them and I have questions below, I would be much appreciated if anybody could chime in and give me some guidance:

1. if I manage to cut down those posts by myself then how should I deal with the underground wires? Should I pull them all out or just sealed them (with what and how...) then bury it as deep as possible?

2. if I should hire someone to remove them, what kind of contractor should I contact with, landscapers?

Thanks in advance.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3302 upvotes
Out west
Is there a reason why? Are they damaged and broken, or you just dont like them?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1208 posts
2185 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
The wires should be disconnected from power from within the house or where ever they're connected to FIRST and tested to ensure there's no power at the end of the cable. Once power is removed, it's your choice whether to remove the wire which should have been in a conduit. That said you might consider leaving it if you ever want an outdoor outlet to power something like xmas lights or halloween lights....etc.
Last edited by fordmaple on Aug 16th, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2018
13 posts
5 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: Is there a reason why? Are they damaged and broken, or you just dont like them?
They are pretty old and rusty and the one in the backyard is not working, will be a safety hazard sooner or later..
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3302 upvotes
Out west
stan319 wrote: They are pretty old and rusty and the one in the backyard is not working, will be a safety hazard sooner or later..
The hard work of them being there is already done. Up to you, but would it be worthwhile to replace them? They could probably be set up for a dusk til dawn setup for light at night
[OP]
Nov 3, 2018
13 posts
5 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: The hard work of them being there is already done. Up to you, but would it be worthwhile to replace them? They could probably be set up for a dusk til dawn setup for light at night
All of my family do not like them.. The lamp post in the back yard has the concrete foundation below, so I might at least need more hands to help with the heavy works. do you think the landscaper would take care of such things?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3302 upvotes
Out west
stan319 wrote: All of my family do not like them.. The lamp post in the back yard has the concrete foundation below, so I might at least need more hands to help with the heavy works. do you think the landscaper would take care of such things?
Landscapers will do anything, for money. That sounds like grunt work to me. A sledgehammer and some hard work and do it yourself
[OP]
Nov 3, 2018
13 posts
5 upvotes
fordmaple wrote: The wires should be disconnected from power from within the house or where ever they're connected to FIRST and tested to ensure there's no power at the end of the cable. Once power is removed, it's your choice whether to remove the wire which should have been in a conduit. That said you might consider leaving it if you ever want an outdoor outlet to power something like xmas lights or halloween lights....etc.
Thank you very much! The previous owner did not make any marking on the electrical panels, so I guess the only way is to check every breaker one at a time, then disconnect it from the electrical panel? Do I need electrician to do this job or I can do it by myself, sounds not complicated?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1208 posts
2185 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
stan319 wrote: Thank you very much! The previous owner did not make any marking on the electrical panels, so I guess the only way is to check every breaker one at a time, then disconnect it from the electrical panel? Do I need electrician to do this job or I can do it by myself, sounds not complicated?
The wire is likely attached to a switch. You'll need to disconnect from the switch that controlled those lights/circuit. If you haven't installed a light switch or worked on electrical, it might be best to leave it to someone with experience like an electrician as you wouldn't want to accidentally leave an exposed wire that could arc/cause a fire.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2018
13 posts
5 upvotes
fordmaple wrote: The wire is likely attached to a switch. You'll need to disconnect from the switch that controlled those lights/circuit. If you haven't installed a light switch or worked on electrical, it might be best to leave it to someone with experience like an electrician as you wouldn't want to accidentally leave an exposed wire that could arc/cause a fire.
Thank you so much for the advice, I think I will check with some landscaping companies first then make the decision.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)