• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2020 2:20 pm
[OP]
Sep 13, 2007
428 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto

Remove Ceramic Tiles or Parquet Floors first

I have parquet floors in the living room and ceramic tiles in the kitchen/dining area.

The living room and kitchen sit side by side.

If i remove the parquet floors first, is there any concerns if i try to remove the ceramic tiles later as part of any potential kitchen renovations?
Images
  • IMG_20201018_214353.jpg
3 replies
Jun 26, 2019
553 posts
445 upvotes
Are you putting in hardwood in the living room?

Only thing you really need to figure out is what your future threshold will look like.

If you're putting in new 3/4 hardwood it will likely be higher than the tile. Im assuming this older hardwood is thinner.

Then later when you do tiles they can just match the tile height to the hardwood flooring. It will usually come pretty close with a ditra uncoupling membrane, and just need to add a wee bit more to bring it up to 3/4 hardwood.
[OP]
Sep 13, 2007
428 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Are you putting in hardwood in the living room?

Only thing you really need to figure out is what your future threshold will look like.

If you're putting in new 3/4 hardwood it will likely be higher than the tile. Im assuming this older hardwood is thinner.

Then later when you do tiles they can just match the tile height to the hardwood flooring. It will usually come pretty close with a ditra uncoupling membrane, and just need to add a wee bit more to bring it up to 3/4 hardwood.
i went with 5/8 so the difference wasn't too obvious...ya i guess when i do tiles, if i do invest more money into this house, i could do that
May 9, 2014
10 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto, ON
When redoing ceramic in the kitchen you may find that the subfloor is not adequate and will require extra depth. My subfloor is 5/8 and I will require 3/4 minimum when redoing the ceramic.