• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2021 11:06 pm
[OP]
Oct 4, 2016
87 posts
28 upvotes

Remove grease stain from white exterior and sanitizer stain from centre console

Hi.

I don't like white cars for reasons like this and always dealing with rail dust. The rail dust isn't too bad because I use that Auto Glym stuff, but back in January I did rust proofing on this for the first time and now the grease in some places has left streaks or finger prints. Though marks from the previous owner under the gas cap are also present and not surprising. Any idea what kind of spray you could use to get it out? These pics are two hours after a hand wash in the driveway.

And I had no idea sanitizer would leave stains on plastic. This is what the console looks like. It was worse before but I put on some Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer for Plastic, Vinyl & Rubber Trim:

Neither problem is the end of the world as this is a 2009 Accord and I have two kids now. No time to worry about making the car stand out. Will also be getting a mini van in the near future.

Thanks for the help.
IMG_1102.jpg
IMG_1103.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg
IMG_1099.jpg
5 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11812 posts
3472 upvotes
Ontario
Those stains on the white paint look like dirt maybe? I'm guessing you have tried to hand wash it and it dos not come off?

You can try something like this - https://3dproductscanada.com/orange-degreaser/
I have used it on my paint in the past without issue but make sure you do not let it try. Spray it on a soft microfiber cloth and lightly scrub the area and see if it comes off, then wash it off with water and ake sure to get it off, again dont let it dry

Worst case you may need to give it a quick polish and it will likely come off.
Jun 19, 2009
972 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
Some hand sanitizers may contain benzalkonium chloride which is a bleaching agent so it's possible your interior has been "bleached" and is discolored as a result.

As for exterior, depending on what your rust proof method was and what it contains, either a degreaser (for oil based methods) or tar remover may be needed (for tar based rust proofing). Try something like Goo Gone.
Participant in:
Zoomer Wireless - 2 year $36/month for 2GB LTE (Now 4GB Loyalty after 6 months)
Microsoft Price Error - ASUS TUF FX505DT-UB52
40" 4K Samsung TV Monitor User
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4310 posts
3539 upvotes
GTA
Oh my, it's called hand sanitizer not body lotion. Few drops on my hands before getting in the car, wait for your hands to dry outside and you are good to go. Splashing the entire litre bottle like that is a no no.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2016
87 posts
28 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote: Oh my, it's called hand sanitizer not body lotion. Few drops on my hands before getting in the car, wait for your hands to dry outside and you are good to go. Splashing the entire litre bottle like that is a no no.
What you see in the pics is about 15 months worth of splashing. Only tried to do a proper clean of the interior as the 2nd child just arrived. I guess your car is nice and neat. Mine is not going to be impeccable and I'm not standing outside and squeezing sanitizer on my hand and waiting for it to dry. Would be more careful for a car that is newer than 2009, but not this one.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2016
87 posts
28 upvotes
morpheus_1987 wrote: Some hand sanitizers may contain benzalkonium chloride which is a bleaching agent so it's possible your interior has been "bleached" and is discolored as a result.

As for exterior, depending on what your rust proof method was and what it contains, either a degreaser (for oil based methods) or tar remover may be needed (for tar based rust proofing). Try something like Goo Gone.
Good call on tar remover. Remembered I had this Turtle Wax stuff I used to get the bugs off the front after a few trips to the cottage. My wife lost the microfibre sponge (use the mesh side) I had before so I ordered a new one for like three and a half bucks and had to wait to pick it up.

The rust proofing grease is at least 80-90% gone. The gas residue under the cap is pretty much gone.