• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2019 9:43 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2012
513 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto

Remove old deck concrete post block

Moved into a new place and I guess the old owners had an old deck and never bothered to remove the "stump" from the concrete that was used to hold the deck posts. I managed to sledge hammer some of it but now I'd like to have it flat so I can put down some patio stones where they currently are.

Cheapest way to do this? I'm guessing rent a jackhammer but was wondering if anyone knew a better way.

Thanks!
20190519_100736.jpg
JS
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4560 posts
558 upvotes
Calgary
Dissolve with acid

Sand Blast

Erode with water spray

Dig deep and dig it out

Drill and use expanding grout

Tie to a helium balloon and wait for it to lift out

Call ISIS for an IED

Mallet and cold chisel

….. or maybe just jackhammer it
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5951 posts
1595 upvotes
Whitby
You don't need a jackhammer, a decent demo hammer will make short work of that.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16124 posts
1392 upvotes
Thornhill
Dig around it, a foot deep, then smack it on the side with a sledge hammer - break off the top and bury the rest.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Nov 26, 2008
573 posts
144 upvotes
GTA
t3359 wrote:
May 19th, 2019 4:06 pm
Dig around it, a foot deep, then smack it on the side with a sledge hammer - break off the top and bury the rest.

bjl
Wear safety glasses! I had this problem and went to town with a sledgehammer and was so surprised how easy they smashed up. I also was able to lift some out pretty easily.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16124 posts
1392 upvotes
Thornhill
bostonontario wrote:
May 19th, 2019 9:21 pm
Wear safety glasses! I had this problem and went to town with a sledgehammer and was so surprised how easy they smashed up. I also was able to lift some out pretty easily.
Just tap it - you just need to crack the post, not obliterate it!

bjl
Oct 3, 2011
310 posts
179 upvotes
OTTAWA
know anyone with a jeep jack? Might need to dig out around it a bit... build an A frame around it (depends on jack being used), install some lagbolts into it and jack that sucker out.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16124 posts
1392 upvotes
Thornhill
lurkknight wrote:
May 21st, 2019 11:13 am
know anyone with a jeep jack? Might need to dig out around it a bit... build an A frame around it (depends on jack being used), install some lagbolts into it and jack that sucker out.
Really? It’s 4 feet deep and might be flared out at the bottom. Probably 3 or 4 bags of 30kg. I don’t see it worth the effort.

bjl
Oct 3, 2011
310 posts
179 upvotes
OTTAWA
depends if the owner foresees it as an issue down the road. If it were me I'd rather it not be there at all if it's not much work to get it out. I'd at least do a bit of a dig to find out more. you'd need to do that at least to break it below the surface. It looks like it was poured in a sonotube the top part looks like it came out the top, which means it's probably not flared.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16124 posts
1392 upvotes
Thornhill
lurkknight wrote:
May 21st, 2019 12:24 pm
depends if the owner foresees it as an issue down the road. If it were me I'd rather it not be there at all if it's not much work to get it out. I'd at least do a bit of a dig to find out more. you'd need to do that at least to break it below the surface. It looks like it was poured in a sonotube the top part looks like it came out the top, which means it's probably not flared.
Not sure what you mean... these footings are poured with a sonotube and have the bottom flared. There's no way you can tell if it's flared until you dig to the frost line.