• May 11th, 2021 2:17 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20646 posts
8137 upvotes
Toronto

Remove or Replace Baseboard Heaters?

Live in a 30 year old condo with some renovations in the building and our unit has baseboard heaters by our windows (3 of them). We've never used them as long as we have lived here.

With the prospect of selling, should we replace them for new or just remove them entirely?

I'd like to remove them to add to the "look" but there's also value to having them and I believe they are cheap to replace, even though we never used them.

Thoughts? (This is here because this repair is only for the sake of real estate)
RedFlagDeals Addict
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2891 posts
1601 upvotes
Ottawa
If you are selling nobody will like seeing them and certainly won't miss them. It will make everything seem that much cleaner and bigger so I'd lean towards removal. Usually these they are there because of a code thing with the theory that if it gets very cold that part of your unit would need help to be warm. I don't know if you would open up some liability if you removed them but I doubt it.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2010
1256 posts
1479 upvotes
Toronto
Does your unit have another heat source? When you say you've never used them are you sure they don't run? Some baseboard heaters have built-in stats. They might run on their own.

Heating is a code requirement, so don't leave yourself legally liable if you accidentally remove the only heat source in the condo.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
20646 posts
8137 upvotes
Toronto
DaMan12 wrote: Does your unit have another heat source? When you say you've never used them are you sure they don't run? Some baseboard heaters have built-in stats. They might run on their own.

Heating is a code requirement, so don't leave yourself legally liable if you accidentally remove the only heat source in the condo.
We have a forced air / central air system, same system provides cold and hot air. There's a lot of glass and it does get cold by the windows (because the windows suck) but we've never felt the need to ever turn them on. 1 is hanging off the wall and we have never turned on any of them - I don't even know if they work lol
They don't come on - 100% positive.
fogetmylogin wrote: If you are selling nobody will like seeing them and certainly won't miss them. It will make everything seem that much cleaner and bigger so I'd lean towards removal. Usually these they are there because of a code thing with the theory that if it gets very cold that part of your unit would need help to be warm. I don't know if you would open up some liability if you removed them but I doubt it.
Thanks for the thought, I'm going to inquire.
RedFlagDeals Addict