Health & Wellness

Removing Baby from Hospital - Can a Parent Legally make that decision?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2016 8:05 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 17, 2012
44 posts
3 upvotes

Removing Baby from Hospital - Can a Parent Legally make that decision?

curious regarding the law and decisions made for a baby staying at a hospital.

If you as a parent want to remove the baby from the hospital - can you make that decision?

I know its a general question with so many variables but perhaps some of you have some insights, useful links, or advice :)
4 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11864 posts
2292 upvotes
Toronto
Rocko9 wrote: curious regarding the law and decisions made for a baby staying at a hospital.

If you as a parent want to remove the baby from the hospital - can you make that decision?

I know its a general question with so many variables but perhaps some of you have some insights, useful links, or advice :)
This should probably belong in the Parenting sub forum. Are you talking about New borns?
Dec 18, 2011
487 posts
226 upvotes
Montreal
NO is my answer. Hospitals are crowded and if the person did not need to be there then they would released.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7579 posts
1029 upvotes
GTA
If someone was removing a baby against medical advice and medical care was needed, I would expect the hospital would probably get Children's Aid - or whatever the agency is called that investigates neglect - involved.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1101 posts
80 upvotes
I am assuming the baby is admitted due to health reason and according to the care team that he or she is not ready for discharge but the parents had issues with the care being provided? that is my assumption.

Well. minor is much more difficult to sign an AMA (Against Medical Advices) to be discharged from hospital compared to an competent adult.

it would trigger CAS and tribunal and hospital legal team etc to determine the outcome. often it can drag out for weeks

If the baby is healthy and no need to be admitted. you will be out the door in no time. after all the paper works are completed.