Automotive

Renew a licence plate sticker outside Ontario

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2019 10:20 am
Jun 19, 2007
166 posts
7 upvotes

Renew a licence plate sticker outside Ontario

Is there anyone here can share their experiences to request a 6-month extension Drive Clean test to renew a licence plate sticker outside Ontario.
My sticker is expiring on March, and I am currently out of Ontario returning sometimes in April.
But when I try to renew online, looks like my vehicle still require drive clean test.

thanks in advance
16 replies
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
3058 posts
488 upvotes
Mississauga
jjjjjj wrote: Is there anyone here can share their experiences to request a 6-month extension Drive Clean test to renew a licence plate sticker outside Ontario.
My sticker is expiring on March, and I am currently out of Ontario returning sometimes in April.
But when I try to renew online, looks like my vehicle still require drive clean test.

thanks in advance
I'm pretty sure you dont need drive clean from April 2019 onwards, so just wait until April to renew your sticker. Do it at a service ontario and you wont have to worry about drive clean
Oct 23, 2005
684 posts
257 upvotes
i thought one somehow can paid less when renew outside of Ontario....
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
Should be moved to automotive discussions but

No, you cannot get an extension on plates/drive clean. Plate sticker will expire in March and you will need to renew upon your return to Ontario

And, if your birthday is in March, regardless of if you renew your sticker in any month after March, you will still need a drive clean.

Freedom from Drive clean begins on any scheduled renewal on/after April 1st.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41797 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
luckystrike1 wrote: Should be moved to automotive discussions but

No, you cannot get an extension on plates/drive clean. Plate sticker will expire in March and you will need to renew upon your return to Ontario

And, if your birthday is in March, regardless of if you renew your sticker in any month after March, you will still need a drive clean.

Where is he supposed to get it done, if there are no more test centers?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
There will still be test centers for a few months to cover the left overs, etc..

I need a plate renewal in March and have clarified with Service Ontario and Drive Clean that as long as the renewal date is prior to April 1st, you will still need an etest for plate renewal. I was hoping to avoid an etest but unable to do so with a renewal date of mid March.

Any plate renewal due on/after April 1st will not have a drive clean requirement.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41797 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
luckystrike1 wrote: There will still be test centers for a few months to cover the left overs, etc..

I need a plate renewal in March and have clarified with Service Ontario and Drive Clean that as long as the renewal date is prior to April 1st, you will still need an etest for plate renewal. I was hoping to avoid an etest but unable to do so with a renewal date of mid March.

Any plate renewal due on/after April 1st will not have a drive clean requirement.
I see, so for those that can wait it out (summer cars that are currently stored), we should be able to renew later on without an etest whatsoever?
Jun 19, 2007
166 posts
7 upvotes
Sorry guys, my bad posting in the wrong section ...seems I can't multi-tasking at all lol
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
luckystrike1 wrote: No, you cannot get an extension on plates/drive clean. Plate sticker will expire in March and you will need to renew upon your return to Ontario

First, he should not wait until he returns to renew. The registration expires on his birthday not at the end of the month so he could be driving with expired registration for weeks. From a quick Google search, getting stopped for driving with expired registration is subject to a $65 fine plus fees.

Second, you can absolutely get an extension to do the Drive Clean (he's not getting an extension on the plates / registration, only on the Drive Clean test). You just have to go IN PERSON to Service Ontario location, explain why you can't do the Drive Clean (e.g. the car is out of the province and will not be back until after the registration expires). As long as you have a satisfactory reason, they will allow you to renew your plates temporarily for 6 months. I did this last year (we leave a car in Florida for the winter and my registration renewal was in January and I forgot to do the Drive Clean test before we left). The OP does say that he will be out of Ontario until April. If he can't go ask for the Drive Clean extension and renew the plates in person, he should get someone else to do it (I would call Service Ontario and ask exactly what you need to do (I actually got my wife to get the extension for me so it doesn't have to be the registered owner but I might have had to give her a letter or something authorizing them to let her do the renewal))

I'm not sure if you will have to do the Drive Clean after (I wouldn't be surprised if you don't)
Jun 19, 2007
166 posts
7 upvotes
michelb wrote: First, he should not wait until he returns to renew. The registration expires on his birthday not at the end of the month so he could be driving with expired registration for weeks. From a quick Google search, getting stopped for driving with expired registration is subject to a $65 fine plus fees.

Second, you can absolutely get an extension to do the Drive Clean (he's not getting an extension on the plates / registration, only on the Drive Clean test). You just have to go IN PERSON to Service Ontario location, explain why you can't do the Drive Clean (e.g. the car is out of the province and will not be back until after the registration expires). As long as you have a satisfactory reason, they will allow you to renew your plates temporarily for 6 months. I did this last year (we leave a car in Florida for the winter and my registration renewal was in January and I forgot to do the Drive Clean test before we left). The OP does say that he will be out of Ontario until April. If he can't go ask for the Drive Clean extension and renew the plates in person, he should get someone else to do it (I would call Service Ontario and ask exactly what you need to do (I actually got my wife to get the extension for me so it doesn't have to be the registered owner but I might have had to give her a letter or something authorizing them to let her do the renewal))

I'm not sure if you will have to do the Drive Clean after (I wouldn't be surprised if you don't)
sorry I a bit confused only get an extension to do the drive clean, does that mean I will get a new sticker which is valid for another 6 months ?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
Yes, that's correct. You will be able to pay for 6 month renewal and you'll get a sucker valid for 6 months. Then you'll have to renew again after the 6 months. I'm not sure if they'll let you postpone the Drive Clean indefinitely - I did mine when the car was back from Florida.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
Hot Deals giveth. Hot Deals taketh away.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
michelb wrote: Yes, that's correct. You will be able to pay for 6 month renewal and you'll get a sucker valid for 6 months. Then you'll have to renew again after the 6 months. I'm not sure if they'll let you postpone the Drive Clean indefinitely - I did mine when the car was back from Florida.
Didn't realize this was an option. Any idea how much it costs? Is it half the price of an annual renewal or do they charge a premium?
vkizzle wrote: I see, so for those that can wait it out (summer cars that are currently stored), we should be able to renew later on without an etest whatsoever?
No, you skipped the word due in his last sentence. I'm due at the end of March and don't really want to bring the summer car out then but if I don't I'm left with the choice of driving illegally to the test center or paying for a temp sticker. Just need to hope the weather clears up in March.

I wonder why they insist on pulling this crazy shit on us rather than making the change active immediately?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41797 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
dirtmover wrote: Didn't realize this was an option. Any idea how much it costs? Is it half the price of an annual renewal or do they charge a premium?

No, you skipped the word due in his last sentence. I'm due at the end of March and don't really want to bring the summer car out then but if I don't I'm left with the choice of driving illegally to the test center or paying for a temp sticker. Just need to hope the weather clears up in March.

I wonder why they insist on pulling this crazy shit on us rather than making the change active immediately?
To clarify, my summer vehicles have lapsed since last year and are way overdue.
They are still in storage and I can wait another full year if required, but will I still be required to get an etest, when I eventually decide to bring them back on the road?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
dirtmover wrote: Didn't realize this was an option. Any idea how much it costs? Is it half the price of an annual renewal or do they charge a premium?
I don't remember for sure (my wife is the one that paid it) but I don't think there was a premium; I think they just charge 1/2 the annual renewal fee.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)