• Aug 11th, 2010 7:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2007
1002 posts
123 upvotes
Kingston, Ontario

Renewing Shoppers Optimum points?

Sorry if there's a thread on this already, I did try searching and was a bit surprised I came up with nothing.

I'm curious what others use their optimum points for, and how they reimburse them? I notice a few times a year Shoppers has the bonus redemption time - so do you wait for this then stock up on things that are on sale? Or ???

I've never reimbursed my points and my card is eligible for the maximum reimbursement, and my husbands is close to the same, but I have no idea if I want to buy something big (no clue if we need anything big) or buy a whole wack of stuff thats on sale.
3 replies
Mar 30, 2010
733 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
You get a better deal by hanging onto the points til they add up to, I think, 75,000 points.

Check the back of your bill, the values are printed in red ink.

Cashiers sometimes ask if you want to redeem at the lower levels, good for the company!!!

I wait til they have 20X points day, if possible, to buy.

Then wait for 'free redemption days' to use my points.
Jan 11, 2009
117 posts
5 upvotes
Oro Station, ON
I've redeemed for a camera (was going on vacation and mine was 10+yrs old), cosmetics (perfume etc) Wii console. Basically anything that's on sale that I will use, I will redeem for because when they're on sale you get more "bang for your points". So yeah, have fun wandering through the store and "splurging" on things you normally wouldn't buy.
Jul 31, 2008
235 posts
64 upvotes
Just remember - you have to pay the taxes on the amount redemmed.

i.e. 50 dollars off - you have to pay the applicable taxes on the 50 bucks saved.