• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2011 2:56 pm
[OP]
May 8, 2011
2 posts
Woodbridge, Ontario

Renewing your G2 & it's affect on insurance

Hey,

Just came across this forum and it looks like the place where I can get the answer I'm looking for.

I'm a G2 driver in Ontario - Toronto area to be exact.
I guess I should just explain my scenario and see what you guys think...

I got my G1 on December 30th 2003 (completed drivers ed) and got my G2 on July 7, 2004.
As my G2 was about to expire - I decided to be an idiot and wait on the last possible day to take my G test. Unfortunately I failed and had to start all over again...
I took my G1 test all over again, right away - 2 days later took my G2 test - that was February of 2009.

Now an insurance company is telling me that my previous years of driving (from 2003 to 2009) no longer count as experience and that I have to be rated as if I got my license in 2009 (going from a 3 star driver to a 1 star driver).

I was wondering if this were true? One thing I've learned over time dealing with insurance companies is each one tells you something different.

Now for those who are going to say "yes - if that's what they say" here's my argument...
if my G2 license expires tomorrow, and I got a speeding ticket today - does that speeding ticket still not show up on my record for the next 3 years?...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8555 posts
1271 upvotes
Ontario
pull a drivers abstract for yourself...it will state the date first lic'd...that is the date the insurance company will use.
lg4418 wrote: Hey,

Just came across this forum and it looks like the place where I can get the answer I'm looking for.

I'm a G2 driver in Ontario - Toronto area to be exact.
I guess I should just explain my scenario and see what you guys think...

I got my G1 on December 30th 2003 (completed drivers ed) and got my G2 on July 7, 2004.
As my G2 was about to expire - I decided to be an idiot and wait on the last possible day to take my G test. Unfortunately I failed and had to start all over again...
I took my G1 test all over again, right away - 2 days later took my G2 test - that was February of 2009.

Now an insurance company is telling me that my previous years of driving (from 2003 to 2009) no longer count as experience and that I have to be rated as if I got my license in 2009 (going from a 3 star driver to a 1 star driver).

I was wondering if this were true? One thing I've learned over time dealing with insurance companies is each one tells you something different.

Now for those who are going to say "yes - if that's what they say" here's my argument...
if my G2 license expires tomorrow, and I got a speeding ticket today - does that speeding ticket still not show up on my record for the next 3 years?...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank you.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Mar 12, 2011
317 posts
6 upvotes
COSMIC5 wrote: pull a drivers abstract for yourself...it will state the date first lic'd...that is the date the insurance company will use.

+1. im no insurance agent but per my own (and my friends') experience, it all depends on drivers abstract.

the MTO recg'zed my driving experience abroad and got credit for it, hence my insurance actually was not that expensive (vs. my expectations - eg. 0 yrs full G vs credited x yrs once i got my G).

in fact, i have another friend who had a mistake in her abstract and she had to have it corrected (insurance claimed she was driving x yrs, when in fact, she was already driving x+10 yrs - from another province). big diff in insurance but worth her effort to correct it (was easy since it was a typo and she only needed to show her driving licence from the other province)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8555 posts
1271 upvotes
Ontario
yup and the auto plus report...here in Ontario driving experience is only credited if from canada or USA only.
I have seen the MTO many times make errors on the first date lic'd, usually when coming from the US or another province..
valleverde007 wrote: +1. im no insurance agent but per my own (and my friends') experience, it all depends on drivers abstract.

the MTO recg'zed my driving experience abroad and got credit for it, hence my insurance actually was not that expensive (vs. my expectations - eg. 0 yrs full G vs credited x yrs once i got my G).

in fact, i have another friend who had a mistake in her abstract and she had to have it corrected (insurance claimed she was driving x yrs, when in fact, she was already driving x+10 yrs - from another province). big diff in insurance but worth her effort to correct it (was easy since it was a typo and she only needed to show her driving licence from the other province)
[OP]
May 8, 2011
2 posts
Woodbridge, Ontario
thanks for the replies.
how do I go about getting a copy of my driving abstract?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8555 posts
1271 upvotes
Ontario
either at the MTO office itself...or some malls have those kiosks - you can get one there..think they're like 12 or 13 bucks..
lg4418 wrote: thanks for the replies.
how do I go about getting a copy of my driving abstract?