Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Renogy

Renogy PHOENIX 1000Wh Portable Power Station 877.49$ [all-in, No Tax]

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2023 12:20 pm
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
1645 posts
19696 upvotes
Sherbrooke
Attempting to lower the load to 250w to drain the battery came to the same result as before in terms of efficiency. I have no means to drain the battery via the DC output on the device at this time.

As for the passthrough, what I can say is that the device will pull as much as 1730w from the plug in passthrough. So if your load is say 1200w, then you will get a 530w into the battery. What I cannot test but I assume it does condition those 1200w in passthrough but I cannot be certain of any of this as I do not have the equipment to see the waveform.

Final test for me at least, is recharging the device via an open frame generator, the generator does have AVR but I can see the voltage does fluctuate 5% when adding and removing large resistive loads. Getting late here, go will do the generator test tomorrow to see if the Renogy likes this or not.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1840 posts
1485 upvotes
QuinteWest
willyfonsworth wrote:
Final test for me at least, is recharging the device via an open frame generator, the generator does have AVR but I can see the voltage does fluctuate 5% when adding and removing large resistive loads. Getting late here, go will do the generator test tomorrow to see if the Renogy likes this or not.
I have sent info request on Renogy website on this topic (charging it from a generator). I asked how it would perform with THD and how high the THD can be. I will report back with their response. As i wrote before, any reading i have done is that UPS units cant run off a generator, but if this Renogy unit can handle it, then i will buy.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2723 posts
2313 upvotes
This company has terrible customer service
Buyer beware
Jun 6, 2018
48 posts
27 upvotes
~1$ per Wh seems to be around where they all are these days (Jackery/Bluetti/Ecoflow) when they go on sale, that's still a bit high (in my opinion), so I'm looking forward to the increased competition here. I'd love to be able to get rid of my generator, and my partner and I both have e-MTB's that we'd love to be able to charge when camping, but it's still pretty pricy.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1840 posts
1485 upvotes
QuinteWest
Here is the response i received from Renogy about charging with generator. Its not really the info i was hoping for. The statement contradicts itself. Its going to be YMMV.

"The RPS100150AA-PCS-CA has no specific requirements for THD of the AC input. Its requirements are that the input AC power is pure sine wave AC and that the input AC voltage is within the allowable input voltage range of the RPS100150AA-PCS-CA."
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4798 posts
1796 upvotes
Paulie1RFD wrote: Here is the response i received from Renogy about charging with generator. Its not really the info i was hoping for. The statement contradicts itself. Its going to be YMMV.

"The RPS100150AA-PCS-CA has no specific requirements for THD of the AC input. Its requirements are that the input AC power is pure sine wave AC and that the input AC voltage is within the allowable input voltage range of the RPS100150AA-PCS-CA."
"The RPS100150AA-PCS-CA has no specific requirements for THD of the AC input. Its requirements are that the
input AC power is pure sine wave AC. and they mean power needs to be somewhat clean, "pure sign wave" is now more of a marketing bs, all AC is somewhat sign wave in civilized country, is some country the power may come in dirty and you need to add extra filters etc to clean it up further. Like back in the day with those crazy overpriced Monster or whatever $599 power bar from FutureShop that didnt do much.,
input AC voltage is between 110v-140v whatever the electrical standard codes allow.

This is how I decode what they said.

So they simply saying , their product isnt too picky about the standards, as long as you give it some what clean AC power and standard voltage that can jump from 110v-140v (whateever the electrical standard allows in North America) it will work

Its not like those highend electronics that need 00000.1% error margin to perform

The total harmonic distortion (THD or THDi) is a measurement of the harmonic distortion present in a signal and is defined as the ratio of the sum of the powers of all harmonic components to the power of the fundamental frequency. Distortion factor, a closely related term, is sometimes used as a synonym.

In audio systems, lower distortion means the components in a loudspeaker, amplifier or microphone or other equipment produce a more accurate reproduction of an audio recording.

In radio communications, devices with lower THD tend to produce less unintentional interference with other electronic devices. Since harmonic distortion tends to widen the frequency spectrum of the output emissions from a device by adding signals at multiples of the input frequency, devices with high THD are less suitable in applications such as spectrum sharing and spectrum sensing.[1]

In power systems, lower THD implies lower peak currents, less heating, lower electromagnetic emissions, and less core loss in motors.[2] IEEE std 519-2014 covers the recommended practice and requirements for harmonic control in electric power systems.[3]
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1840 posts
1485 upvotes
QuinteWest
EEE2 wrote: "The RPS100150AA-PCS-CA has no specific requirements for THD of the AC input. Its requirements are that the
input AC power is pure sine wave AC. and they mean power needs to be somewhat clean, "pure sign wave" is now more of a marketing bs, all AC is somewhat sign wave in civilized country, is some country the power may come in dirty and you need to add extra filters etc to clean it up further. Like back in the day with those crazy overpriced Monster or whatever $599 power bar from FutureShop that didnt do much.,
input AC voltage is between 110v-140v whatever the electrical standard codes allow.

This is how I decode what they said.

So they simply saying , their product isnt too picky about the standards, as long as you give it some what clean AC power and standard voltage that can jump from 110v-140v (whateever the electrical standard allows in North America) it will work

Its not like those highend electronics that need 00000.1% error margin to perform

The total harmonic distortion (THD or THDi) is a measurement of the harmonic distortion present in a signal and is defined as the ratio of the sum of the powers of all harmonic components to the power of the fundamental frequency. Distortion factor, a closely related term, is sometimes used as a synonym.

In audio systems, lower distortion means the components in a loudspeaker, amplifier or microphone or other equipment produce a more accurate reproduction of an audio recording.

In radio communications, devices with lower THD tend to produce less unintentional interference with other electronic devices. Since harmonic distortion tends to widen the frequency spectrum of the output emissions from a device by adding signals at multiples of the input frequency, devices with high THD are less suitable in applications such as spectrum sharing and spectrum sensing.[1]

In power systems, lower THD implies lower peak currents, less heating, lower electromagnetic emissions, and less core loss in motors.[2] IEEE std 519-2014 covers the recommended practice and requirements for harmonic control in electric power systems.[3]
Lets see what Willyfonsworth discovers with his generator test.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
1645 posts
19696 upvotes
Sherbrooke
Results are in.

My little firman p03602 is able to recharge the Renogy without any fuss.

Observations here:
- From the generator display itself would show 126v, 62hz without load. Once I applied the AC charge to the Renogy that was at 50% charge on fast mode, the generator would level off to 60.2hz and the voltage would dip to 124.5v and stay there. The Renogy would suck in 1068w and charge as normal.
- I wanted to give the generator a little rough time, so I decided that while the Renogy was charging to plug in a 1hp electric motor (air compressor) to see what would happen. The generator took a second to speed up which dipped the voltage down by 3-4v. This caused the Renogy to cut the charge and then once the generator got back up to speed commence charging once again. When i would remove the air compressor load, this did not affect the Renogy charge. All this activity did not throw an error message or beeps, the Renogy just recovered on it own.
- I then proceeded to do this multiple times within 20-30 seconds, and same result in terms of the charge cutting and coming back but it never complained it just recovered and continued on its merry way.
Dec 12, 2007
128 posts
53 upvotes
Willyfonsworth thank-you for posting your review of this unit. Very interesting. Newbie here with regards to this portable power stuff. I have an upright frigidare freezer and the label inside says it 600watts on 110 volts. Can you give me an approximate time of how long this renogy unit would be able to power my freezer in the event of a power outage. Would it be possible to post a few pictures of the unit with something beside it to get a sense of scale of how big the unit is? How do you fine the ergonomics of the unit? Easy to handle or awkward? Can you carry it with one hand? Can I still use the unit without the app? Apologize for all the questions, but very intrigued by this unit.
Thanx
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Buford wrote: Willyfonsworth thank-you for posting your review of this unit. Very interesting. Newbie here with regards to this portable power stuff. I have an upright frigidare freezer and the label inside says it 600watts on 110 volts. Can you give me an approximate time of how long this renogy unit would be able to power my freezer in the event of a power outage. Would it be possible to post a few pictures of the unit with something beside it to get a sense of scale of how big the unit is? How do you fine the ergonomics of the unit? Easy to handle or awkward? Can you carry it with one hand? Can I still use the unit without the app? Apologize for all the questions, but very intrigued by this unit.
Thanx
A fridge runs intermittently so you can look up its energuide rating.
Mine for example says 366kWh/year, i have tested it with a kill-a-watt and it used 900Wh a day in late spring (irrc) weather.
So i would expect about a day in my case as i would turn down the temp a bit and not open it much or add things to it.
But you need to check and test yours, all models differ.

Oh and my chest freezer read about 450Wh/day.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
1645 posts
19696 upvotes
Sherbrooke
Buford wrote: Willyfonsworth thank-you for posting your review of this unit. Very interesting. Newbie here with regards to this portable power stuff. I have an upright frigidare freezer and the label inside says it 600watts on 110 volts. Can you give me an approximate time of how long this renogy unit would be able to power my freezer in the event of a power outage. Would it be possible to post a few pictures of the unit with something beside it to get a sense of scale of how big the unit is? How do you fine the ergonomics of the unit? Easy to handle or awkward? Can you carry it with one hand? Can I still use the unit without the app? Apologize for all the questions, but very intrigued by this unit.
Thanx
You could one hand it but it's quite heavy. The handles are plastic molded into the case, they feel quite strong but the way it's designed is a 2 hand setup. The way the handles are setup, you could stack these flat. As for the configuration of the device, the only thing you can do from the device itself is as follows:
- Turn the device itself on
- Turn on the AC ports, USB and DC cigarette port individually
- Turn on the light on the front

everything else is done from the bluetooth app.

Banana for scale ;)

PXL_20230106_182438816.jpg
PXL_20230106_182421068.jpg
PXL_20230106_182516172.jpg

1lbs butter for scale

PXL_20230106_182540492.jpg
PXL_20230106_182558692.jpg
PXL_20230106_182552444.jpg

Screenshot of the app

Screenshot_20230106-135649.png
Screenshot_20230106-135706.png
Screenshot_20230106-135739~2.png
Screenshot_20230106-135726.png
Screenshot_20230106-135621.png
Screenshot_20230106-135631.png
Last edited by willyfonsworth on Jan 6th, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
willyfonsworth wrote: You could one hand it but it's quite heavy. The handles are plastic molded into the case, they feel quite strong but the way it's designed is a 2 hand setup. The way the handles are setup, you could stack these flat. As for the configuration of the device, the only thing you can do from the device itself is as follows:
- Turn the device itself on
- Turn on the AC ports, USB and DC cigarette port individually
- Turn on the light on the front

eveyrthing else is done from the bluetooth app.

Banana for scale ;)

PXL_20230106_182438816.jpgPXL_20230106_182421068.jpgPXL_20230106_182516172.jpg

1lbs butter for scale

PXL_20230106_182540492.jpgPXL_20230106_182558692.jpgPXL_20230106_182552444.jpg
Can this powerstation charge butter wirelessly?
Dec 9, 2017
414 posts
1129 upvotes
studio65 wrote: I agree with you , plus those Lifepo4 battery should not be discharge below 20% in an ideal world , to preserve longivity ,
but then who knows what technology will be available in ten yeays ,
this will probably become obsolete before , so might as well beat the hell out of it while it works.
Lifepo4 can be discharged to 0% and charged back to 100% without the worries one would have with regular Li batteries (or LA for that matter). This is one of the beauties of Lifepo4 !
Another beauty is that they do not require a voltage regulator, they maintain a usable voltage to 10% or under.

Hobotech on YT is a great resource.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
1645 posts
19696 upvotes
Sherbrooke
Quentin5 wrote: Can this powerstation charge butter wirelessly?
I do not have the required testing equipment to answer this question
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
willyfonsworth wrote: I do not have the required testing equipment to answer this question
Very unfortunate Crying Face
Does it charge cell phones wirelessly?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
1645 posts
19696 upvotes
Sherbrooke
Quentin5 wrote: Very unfortunate Crying Face
Does it charge cell phones wirelessly?
That appears to be the one thing that is missing that other vendors do provide.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1840 posts
1485 upvotes
QuinteWest
willyfonsworth wrote: Results are in.

My little firman p03602 is able to recharge the Renogy without any fuss.

Observations here:
- From the generator display itself would show 126v, 62hz without load. Once I applied the AC charge to the Renogy that was at 50% charge on fast mode, the generator would level off to 60.2hz and the voltage would dip to 124.5v and stay there. The Renogy would suck in 1068w and charge as normal.
- I wanted to give the generator a little rough time, so I decided that while the Renogy was charging to plug in a 1hp electric motor (air compressor) to see what would happen. The generator took a second to speed up which dipped the voltage down by 3-4v. This caused the Renogy to cut the charge and then once the generator got back up to speed commence charging once again. When i would remove the air compressor load, this did not affect the Renogy charge. All this activity did not throw an error message or beeps, the Renogy just recovered on it own.
- I then proceeded to do this multiple times within 20-30 seconds, and same result in terms of the charge cutting and coming back but it never complained it just recovered and continued on its merry way.
To confirm, the air compressor was plugged into the Renogy unit while Renogy unit was plugged into generator?
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
1645 posts
19696 upvotes
Sherbrooke
Paulie1RFD wrote: To confirm, the air compressor was plugged into the Renogy unit while Renogy unit was plugged into generator?
No the air compressor was plugging into the gas generator to load it to see what could happen to the charging Renogy when the voltage fluctuates at the source. In this case the source is the gas generator.

So there is no scenario that I can see that the Renogy would not charge from a open frame generator unless the generator voltage output fluctuates wildly out of control all the time.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)