Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Renogy

Renogy PHOENIX 1000Wh Portable Power Station 877.49$ [all-in, No Tax]

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2023 12:20 pm
Jan 3, 2023
25 posts
16 upvotes
studio65 wrote: I was told by Renogy that the parallel or split voltage cables was not sold yet in Canada , this is a really new product from Renogy as of now.
Adaptor currently available on renogy global site for 81.00 US , but shipping to Canada is 146.00US , so will wait , but it shoud be available soon here.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4798 posts
1796 upvotes
These things seem fun to own/play with. I wonder the maintenance on them? how many cycles can these batteries handle, etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2723 posts
2313 upvotes
EEE2 wrote: These things seem fun to own/play with. I wonder the maintenance on them? how many cycles can these batteries handle, etc.
Absolute garbage
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4798 posts
1796 upvotes
Now that its so cold outside.... I came up with an insane idea. My vehicle is got the heating element installed to keep it nice and warm (engine block heater) while I am at home I can do this overnight. While I am out I cannot, even I park somewhere eg work, or whatever. Getting to the point I was thinking of using one these to keep the block nice and warm. Then when I leave my vehicle is ready to go. is this an insane idea? Anyone try or dare to try....
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
EEE2 wrote: Now that its so cold outside.... I came up with an insane idea. My vehicle is got the heating element installed to keep it nice and warm (engine block heater) while I am at home I can do this overnight. While I am out I cannot, even I park somewhere eg work, or whatever. Getting to the point I was thinking of using one these to keep the block nice and warm. Then when I leave my vehicle is ready to go. is this an insane idea? Anyone try or dare to try....
It should work fine but bear in mind the block heater will use 200-500W, so you can't leave it plugged in perpetually.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4798 posts
1796 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: It should work fine but bear in mind the block heater will use 200-500W, so you can't leave it plugged in perpetually.
1-2hours before I leave put it on. I guess that may work. But overall do you feel this is a really stupid idea?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
EEE2 wrote: 1-2hours before I leave put it on. I guess that may work. But overall do you feel this is a really stupid idea?
Not a stupid idea, and the power station should tell you the wattage draw.
It will add wear to the batteries but it will save you gas.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4798 posts
1796 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote:
Not a stupid idea, and the power station should tell you the wattage draw.
It will add wear to the batteries but it will save you gas.
To be honest buying these things and not using them is also kind of pointless and I'm sure the battery inside will degrade even if you don't "maintain" that internal battery. only really need to use during those really cold days.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
EEE2 wrote: To be honest buying these things and not using them is also kind of pointless and I'm sure the battery inside will degrade even if you don't "maintain" that internal battery. only really need to use during those really cold days.
The best way to get longevity from it is to store it at about 60% charge and check on it once a month (it will slowly self drain) When it gets to 40% (could take weeks, months) then recharge to 60%.
This will prevent almost all age/charge related wear.

That said if they are low quality batteries then nothing will make them last as long as high quality name brand batteries treated the same way. Yet the 40-60% charge will help the longevity of any batteries.
I look at it as planning for a 10 year life. I assume by then replacement will be much cheaper and the technology will have advanced. Also lithium ion ages from number of cycles you put on them.

I have a mini powersation that claims 1000 cycles of life. At one cycle a week it should live 20 years.

Since i use it rather regularly and its for emergencies i store it at 80%. It won't live as long as one stored at 60% but emergencies and random uses often come without warning and i use it elsewhere when needed. And i use less than a cycle a week. Thus 10 year life should be doable with my higher storage charge and probably under 300 cycles.

The worst thing you can do for battery longevity is store lithium at 100% charge. If you are going to use 20% in a day or two then its not going to cause much harm but weeks, months, years at full charge is very bad for battery longevity.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
1645 posts
19688 upvotes
Sherbrooke
FYI, price has gone down due to an active sale going on right now.
Screenshot 2023-02-17 130551.jpg
Feb 18, 2023
3 posts
willyfonsworth wrote: FYI, price has gone down due to an active sale going on right now.

Screenshot 2023-02-17 130551.jpg
Thank you again for your posts and analysis. I am really tempted by the sale. Any regrets on buying this portable power station (except maybe the recent discount)? It is a really big and heavy unit. Any thoughts on why that is? Also, the warranty is only 1 year. Any concerns? Thanks.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
1645 posts
19688 upvotes
Sherbrooke
GaryMW wrote: Thank you again for your posts and analysis. I am really tempted by the sale. Any regrets on buying this portable power station (except maybe the recent discount)? It is a really big and heavy unit. Any thoughts on why that is? Also, the warranty is only 1 year. Any concerns? Thanks.
The only regret I have right now is that I am looking into DIY one of these units for the fun of it but I have noticed that pricing for the equivalent DIY price equivalent (battery, inverter/charger, case, BT module, power plugs, usb, etc...). As of right now since I am not using it for its intended purpose, I use it as a glorified UPS for my main PC.

The main idea is for power outages and what I do for the time being is a cycle the battery once per week to not leave it fully charged constantly. I have no idea if this is better or worse for the pack but it makes me feel better about keeping it plugged in as a UPS all the time
Sep 8, 2007
68 posts
44 upvotes
How about you use a smart timer to shut it off for X hours or X minutes per day or week so it doesn't stay fully charged?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
2066 posts
893 upvotes
ON
EEE2 wrote: To be honest buying these things and not using them is also kind of pointless and I'm sure the battery inside will degrade even if you don't "maintain" that internal battery. only really need to use during those really cold days.
One thing to keep in mind is, the specs say -20 degrees for discharge and storage, and 0 degrees for charging.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4798 posts
1796 upvotes
sprdave wrote: One thing to keep in mind is, the specs say -20 degrees for discharge and storage, and 0 degrees for charging.
Excellent, excellent point. Thank you :)
Feb 18, 2023
3 posts
The Canada site has bundles for 2 Phoenix 1000 and the split or single phase cable for $2,065. Only last week it was about $2,700 which was ridiculous - with the Phoenix @ $975. the cable would be almost $950. So at $975, the cable is about $115 - not bad. I think the canlife discount code will still work too.
Feb 18, 2023
3 posts
Have you charged the Phoenix 1000 with solar panels? I have been trying to find out if the portable power station has a MPPT controller. I would assume so but I can't find any confirmation.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
1645 posts
19688 upvotes
Sherbrooke
GaryMW wrote: Have you charged the Phoenix 1000 with solar panels? I have been trying to find out if the portable power station has a MPPT controller. I would assume so but I can't find any confirmation.
I have not (only car charger and standalone battery), but as long as you are within spec of the DC charge port, plug whatever DC power you want in there honestly.

Spec being: DC Input: 10V-100V⎓10A, 400W Max
Nov 22, 2017
305 posts
372 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I don't like the fact that there is one big flap for the side connectors - it would have been better to have individual covers. Also, nowhere does it mention pure sine wave for the AC outputs, which most brand name units offer. 1500 Watt max continuous output is probably fine for most use cases, but other brands offer a better max output vs. max watt ratio. say 1800W max with a 2000W/1027Wh device. LiFePo4 is generally always great, but depending on what it is used for, it may make very little real-world difference - say 500x charges on classic tesla style Li-Ion = 9.6 years of a weekly charge vs. 3000x charges. So if you use it daily - awesome.

Lastly, battery packing shape also makes a difference. Most brands use cylindrical batteries similar to what is found in a Tesla battery. But some brands have specific battery shapes to increase density as such offer a smaller overall size https://www.techpowerup.com/review/ctec ... ttery1.jpg I am sure the unit is just fine, but I would not consider it a deal. It is cheaper than say a equivalent Bluetti or Ecoflow unit, but also doesn't offer quite as much .
Mobile: $39.18/month 80GB/5G (Koodo) ($55/month - $13.95/month credit + $1.875/month activation fee - $3.75/month lower plan for last 9 months of term) & Pixel 8 for $240 ($10/month)
Internet: $77.90 - 1000/100 Mbps (Lightspeed)
Spotify: $20 USD/year
Deal Addict
May 24, 2017
1840 posts
1485 upvotes
QuinteWest
DarkSaber wrote: Also, nowhere does it mention pure sine wave for the AC outputs, which most brand name units offer.
It does state pure sine wave in the description.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)