Rent increase notice

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2021 10:09 pm
Oct 6, 2017
407 posts
453 upvotes

Rent increase notice

Hey guys,
I'm in Ontario. Soon I will have to give rent increase notice to my tenant. This will be the first time for me so I wasn't sure what the proper way was. I was going to hand deliver. Should I let them know first that I will be coming by or just show up? Sorry if it sounds stupid but just wasn't sure.
Last edited by rfd911 on Oct 1st, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1714 posts
719 upvotes
Vancouver
You might want to put your province. Each province has different rules that landlord need to follow
Oct 6, 2017
407 posts
453 upvotes
Fantastical wrote: You might want to put your province. Each province has different rules that landlord need to follow
Added. Ontario.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2016
1158 posts
655 upvotes
Your lease agreement must have mention of the mutually accepted mode of communication to make service requests, send payment receipts or any kind of notices. The mutually accepted mode could be mail, Canada post, courier, text messages, emails or private messaging on social media account - whatever is agreed. If nothing is agreed then Canada post is the easiest mode but you may not get a receipt. You can deliver in person or via courier with signed receipt for delivery.

CD
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2750 upvotes
Vancouver
rfd911 wrote: Hey guys,
I'm in Ontario. Soon I will have to give rent increase notice to my tenant. This will be the first time for me so I wasn't sure what the proper way was. I was going to hand deliver. Should I let them know first that I will be coming by or just show up? Sorry if it sounds stupid but just wasn't sure.
This is provincially regulated.

I am in BC we have strict guidelines to follow in terms of how much notice you have to give and how to deliver/serve notice for it to be considered delivered. Such info should be in your provincial tenancy website.

I just notified a 3.75 yr tenant recently via text because I have great relationship with him. 1st increase since he moved in and he said OK to the small increase (2.17%).

BC govt barred increase since about covid and just allowed 1.5% increase (unless both sides agree to an bigger increase) effective Jan, 2022.

I rarely increase rent on my tenants.
Dec 3, 2019
696 posts
680 upvotes
Ontario
rfd911 wrote: Hey guys,
I always let my tenants know when I visit for any reason. They live there not me so I want to respect their privacy.

I inform my tenants verbally first about the rent increase when I talk to them for any other reason.
If I don't talk to them for a while it's okay, I'll just delay the increase for a few months as it's not a big amount of money these inflation increases.
At the same time I mention that I'll send them something they can have for their records, this takes care of the legal stuff.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
buysellbuy wrote: I always let my tenants know when I visit for any reason. They live there not me so I want to respect their privacy.

I inform my tenants verbally first about the rent increase when I talk to them for any other reason.
If I don't talk to them for a while it's okay, I'll just delay the increase for a few months as it's not a big amount of money these inflation increases.
At the same time I mention that I'll send them something they can have for their records, this takes care of the legal stuff.
I don't even call them. Just send an email. They usually respond so no need to call.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)