Automotive

Rental Car Accident - Insurance Premium?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2022 10:43 am
Feb 12, 2022
1 posts

Rental Car Accident - Insurance Premium?

Hi,

I have never owned a car, nor had any insurance in Canada yet. I've been driving rental cars and I recently had a minor at-fault accident. The damage to my rental car is being paid by my Credit Car Insurance, and the damage to the other car will be paid by Hertz's own third-party liability insurance.

I'm planning to buy a car now, but the moment I tell the insurance companies about my accident, the premiums go almost 2x (less than 300 to more than 550). I've been wondering if I should disclose my accident to insurance companies at all - since I'm not sure if it'll reflect on my driving license (as I never had any insurance and the only claim I've filed so far is covered by my CC).

Does anyone know if what I described above is recorded in my driving/license history?

Thanks!
Dilbert
7 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
therealdilbert wrote: Hi,

I have never owned a car, nor had any insurance in Canada yet. I've been driving rental cars and I recently had a minor at-fault accident. The damage to my rental car is being paid by my Credit Car Insurance, and the damage to the other car will be paid by Hertz's own third-party liability insurance.

I'm planning to buy a car now, but the moment I tell the insurance companies about my accident, the premiums go almost 2x (less than 300 to more than 550). I've been wondering if I should disclose my accident to insurance companies at all - since I'm not sure if it'll reflect on my driving license (as I never had any insurance and the only claim I've filed so far is covered by my CC).

Does anyone know if what I described above is recorded in my driving/license history?

Thanks!
Dilbert
Unless you got a ticket, there is nothing to worry about.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
I had a client that never had her own insurance before and had an accident with a rental. The accident actually showed up on her autoplus report. You can order your own report to view and see if its disclosed...

https://iis.cgi.com/rapidweb/HelpFiles/ ... y_2015.pdf
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Feb 11, 2016
111 posts
37 upvotes
Interesting to know if accidents with rental cars covered by credit card companies make your personal insurance higher.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
the rental agency still has your drivers lic number to use when they file a claim - it could still show up on an autoplus report
Zephyr00 wrote: Interesting to know if accidents with rental cars covered by credit card companies make your personal insurance higher.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3801 posts
1275 upvotes
accidents goes on your driving record and yes the premium will be sky high since you do not have insurance history and will be treated as a new driver with an accident.
Apr 14, 2009
461 posts
552 upvotes
Vaughan
starchoice wrote: What accident?
The one that the insurer would have reported to the autoplus report.