Automotive

Rental Car Broken Into - While In Vancouver (Live in Toronto) - Items Taken - Claim Help

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2021 9:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3447 posts
1036 upvotes
Toronto

Rental Car Broken Into - While In Vancouver (Live in Toronto) - Items Taken - Claim Help

Long story short, we were on the move between cities and parked underground to checkout Stanley Park on electric scooters for a few hours

Within those 2 hours, we got our rental SUV window broken and a few bags taken

I had about $1500 worth of items in my bag (a few other guys had their bags taken too)

I believe for insurance purposes, you claim through your home insurance as your personal belongings being taken - question I have, for that amount, is it worth putting in a claim

Is it going to bite me in the ass long term in terms of premium hike etc.

Any advice is appreciated

(Note: we already put in a police report and have that - car was also rented on a credit card with claim coverage, is that a better option?)
20 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3855 posts
2603 upvotes
Edmonton
wmahmud wrote: Long story short, we were on the move between cities and parked underground to checkout Stanley Park on electric scooters for a few hours

Within those 2 hours, we got our rental SUV window broken and a few bags taken

I had about $1500 worth of items in my bag (a few other guys had their bags taken too)

I believe for insurance purposes, you claim through your home insurance as your personal belongings being taken - question I have, for that amount, is it worth putting in a claim

Is it going to bite me in the ass long term in terms of premium hike etc.

Any advice is appreciated

(Note: we already put in a police report and have that - car was also rented on a credit card with claim coverage, is that a better option?)
You likely have a $1,000 deductible on your homeowner's policy so you would end up with a $500 claim and lose any claims' free discount so no, not worth it.

Your credit card coverage will only cover the vehicle.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16998 posts
15607 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yup you will have to go through home insurance unfortunately.
Sep 25, 2018
869 posts
1617 upvotes
Read your credit card coverage letter to determine if theft is covered.

Was any of the stolen item bought recently through credit cards? Some cards provides theft coverage for up to 90 days after purchase. I had a friend who's bike got stolen a week after purchase. They were able to get a full refund to buy another bike from their credit card within a few weeks.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16998 posts
15607 upvotes
Richmond Hill
AlicW93740 wrote: Read your credit card coverage letter to determine if theft is covered.

Was any of the stolen item bought recently through credit cards? Some cards provides theft coverage for up to 90 days after purchase. I had a friend who's bike got stolen a week after purchase. They were able to get a full refund to buy another bike from their credit card within a few weeks.
Need to read the fine print carefully. Most credit cards will require you to go through your insurance first and in the event it's not covered then CC will cover.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4363 posts
3915 upvotes
Richmond Hill
EP32k2 wrote: Need to read the fine print carefully. Most credit cards will require you to go through your insurance first and in the event it's not covered then CC will cover.
If the deductible is higher than the claim, then it should be fine?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16998 posts
15607 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rugerty100 wrote: If the deductible is higher than the claim, then it should be fine?
No. In that case isn't it obvious that you don't make a claim?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4363 posts
3915 upvotes
Richmond Hill
EP32k2 wrote: No. In that case isn't it obvious that you don't make a claim?
Let me clarify my statement. If the deductible is higher than the claim, then the credit card policy won't require you to go through your own insurance first.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14137 posts
4752 upvotes
RFD
Case #99494959648474749495 of not leaving valuables in cars. Rental cars and cars out of province are even greater targets for thieves.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3447 posts
1036 upvotes
Toronto
radeonboy wrote: Case #99494959648474749495 of not leaving valuables in cars. Rental cars and cars out of province are even greater targets for thieves.
Thanks for the valuable lesson oh great one.

Theres more to why stuff was in car, we didn’t have much of a choice, but it is what it is.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14137 posts
4752 upvotes
RFD
wmahmud wrote: Thanks for the valuable lesson oh great one.

Theres more to why stuff was in car, we didn’t have much of a choice, but it is what it is.
There is always a choice.

The choice here was to stay and protect your valuables or choosing to
"checkout Stanley Park on electric scooters for a few hours", which could be done any time at a later date.

Anyway what's done is done and you're likely gonna have to go through your home insurance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3447 posts
1036 upvotes
Toronto
radeonboy wrote: There is always a choice.

The choice here was to stay and protect your valuables or choosing to
"checkout Stanley Park on electric scooters for a few hours", which could be done any time at a later date.

Anyway what's done is done and you're likely gonna have to go through your home insurance.
Because you know my schedule and situation really well - dude easy to talk when you weren't there to understand what was going on - again you contributed with zero value add, but had to get your 2 cents in to feel good, enjoy your day.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3447 posts
1036 upvotes
Toronto
So my deductible is $1000, I'll wait for my buddy first and his credit card coverage to see what (if anything) that can do before I pursue through insurance (which probably doesn't make much sense)
Oct 2, 2018
962 posts
829 upvotes
Toronto
Such a shame to have happened and could happen to anyone, some vehicles get broken into for the prospect of finding something when in fact there is little of any value inside.

Doubt in your case it makes much sense for a claim on house insurance, might have to chalk it up to experience and take the loss.

While it likely ruined your day, Vancouver is God's country as they say and you will always have that.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1726 posts
2241 upvotes
GTA
wmahmud wrote: Because you know my schedule and situation really well - dude easy to talk when you weren't there to understand what was going on - again you contributed with zero value add, but had to get your 2 cents in to feel good, enjoy your day.
Sorry this happened to you. I had a similar incident in Montreal and had to eat the cost as the deductible plus future premiums didn’t make sense to go through insurance.

Being a victim of theft sucks but in the grand scheme of things it’s not life changing money.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3447 posts
1036 upvotes
Toronto
georgecantstandya wrote: Sorry this happened to you. I had a similar incident in Montreal and had to eat the cost as the deductible plus future premiums didn’t make sense to go through insurance.

Being a victim of theft sucks but in the grand scheme of things it’s not life changing money.
Agree - its material items that can be replaced, just value lost

Could be much worse - its just the feeling that sucks
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1222 posts
554 upvotes
OP. Did the thieves break into every car in the parkade? We usually park in Stanley park above ground parking. Touch wood nothing has happened so far. Will make note to not use underground parking when visiting there. Sorry for your loss.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6812 posts
3103 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
wmahmud wrote: Within those 2 hours, we got our rental SUV window broken and a few bags taken
Trunked cars are very nice for a reason.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1120 posts
651 upvotes
East of Toronto
thriftshopper wrote: Trunked cars are very nice for a reason.
Definitely. Have seen that happen to colleagues travelling for business. When the rental agent says, "great news we've upgraded you to an SUV" the best response is "no thanks, I need a trunk".
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8972 posts
6070 upvotes
Kootenays
DRC wrote: Definitely. Have seen that happen to colleagues travelling for business. When the rental agent says, "great news we've upgraded you to an SUV" the best response is "no thanks, I need a trunk".
That and "What's the MSRP of said SUV?" (If it's over $65,000, most credit cards will not cover any damage.)