• Jul 23rd, 2020 12:49 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2432 posts
1484 upvotes
Calgary

Rental car cluster glass cracked

Hi, I have this rental as a insurance replacement for 2 weeks. On Friday I noticed this crack appearing and by this morning it gotten worse. Took it to the rental place and they said I might have to pay for replacement. As per VW they need to change the whole cluster for $1000 plus install. Parts guy said that it may be covered under warranty. It's a 2019 VW golf alltrack.

Any advice on what can I do about this?
Images
  • IMG_20200720_110246.jpg
24 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
have you contacted your own insurance ? Maybe they can give you a better / accurate answer than here.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
13776 posts
183293 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

How does that actually crack? It's not like someone gonna hit that dash. That's why I always take pictures of the entire car before I drive it out of the lot...

Ju Leon...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2432 posts
1484 upvotes
Calgary
booblehead wrote: have you contacted your own insurance ? Maybe they can give you a better / accurate answer than here.
Emailed the claim advisor. Will wait for them. Although they are generally very clueless as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2432 posts
1484 upvotes
Calgary
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

How does that actually crack? It's not like someone gonna hit that dash. That's why I always take pictures of the entire car before I drive it out of the lot...

Ju Leon...
I did picture of the entire car not just the cluster or the interior.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9208 posts
8482 upvotes
masarwar wrote: Emailed the claim advisor. Will wait for them. Although they are generally very clueless as well.
That's all you can do. If you have non-owned coverage, then there's nothing to worry about.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2432 posts
1484 upvotes
Calgary
Xtrema wrote: That's all you can do. If you have non-owned coverage, then there's nothing to worry about.
Do you mean rental car coverage? It isn't an accident or anything. I don't want it to negatively impact my insurance
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
https://airb.alberta.ca/drivers/getting_insurance.aspx

On your own policy .... you have ??

Legal Liability for Physical Damage to a Non-Owned Automobile (SEF 27):

This endorsement extends the physical damage coverage to a non-owned automobile, such as a rented or borrowed automobile. Coverage is only available on private passenger type vehicles while in the care, custody or control of the named insured for a period of 30 days or less.
Last edited by booblehead on Jul 20th, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2432 posts
1484 upvotes
Calgary
booblehead wrote: On your own policy .... you have ??

Legal Liability for Physical Damage to a Non-Owned Automobile (SEF 27):

This endorsement extends the physical damage coverage to a non-owned automobile, such as a rented or borrowed automobile. Coverage is only available on private passenger type vehicles while in the care, custody or control of the named insured for a period of 30 days or less.
Yup. I have that on my own policy. My concern is if I go through insurance I wonder how much it will impact me?? Thank you
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
masarwar wrote: Yup. I have that on my own policy. My concern is if I go through insurance I wonder how much it will impact me?? Thank you
I understand. That's why you want to ask your agent to see what is their recommended advice and go from there.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2432 posts
1484 upvotes
Calgary
booblehead wrote: I understand. That's why you want to ask your agent to see what is their recommended advice and go from there.
Thank you. Still waiting for their phone call.
Oct 4, 2010
847 posts
471 upvotes
Surrey
that looks like a scratch rather than glass. did anyone else drive the car or did you let anyone inside to play around while you were elsewhere i.e kids?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2432 posts
1484 upvotes
Calgary
matrixfwd wrote: that looks like a scratch rather than glass. did anyone else drive the car or did you let anyone inside to play around while you were elsewhere i.e kids?

All 4 of them are from inside. Only one I can feel from my fingers. I am the only driver. No kids.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe also get a quote or two from Indy bodyshops while you are waiting for your agent to call back
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3144 posts
1714 upvotes
AB
My credit card once covered some damage to a rental car once. That may be an option as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9208 posts
8482 upvotes
aleks wrote: My credit card once covered some damage to a rental car once. That may be an option as well.
In this case, I doubt his CC is involved since it's arranged by insurance.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2432 posts
1484 upvotes
Calgary
So talked to my insurance. they have told me that this should be repaired under warranty by volkswagen and if for some reason it isnt and i am contacted then this will go under my comprehensive policy as glass claim. Hopefully this should be the last of it.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1190 posts
1068 upvotes
masarwar wrote: So talked to my insurance. they have told me that this should be repaired under warranty by volkswagen and if for some reason it isnt and i am contacted then this will go under my comprehensive policy as glass claim. Hopefully this should be the last of it.
Minus your deductible which for me is $500. Plus if you make another comprehensive claim within 2 or 3 years they can up your deductible to 1k or even 2k.

I would not put it through insurance. I would fight like hell to get it covered under factory warranty. Looks like a defect.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2432 posts
1484 upvotes
Calgary
George613 wrote: Minus your deductible which for me is $500. Plus if you make another comprehensive claim within 2 or 3 years they can up your deductible to 1k or even 2k.

I would not put it through insurance. I would fight like hell to get it covered under factory warranty. Looks like a defect.
My deductible is only $100 and as per them glass claims are not going to affect my insurance.

But absolutely I will fight with VW to go through factory warranty. Already called vw head office.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1190 posts
1068 upvotes
Sneaky bastages are auto insurers. A comprehensive claim will not raise your rates. But more than 1 in 3 years will trigger a raise up from that $100 glass deductible you have.

It has happened to me when my car got broken into 3 times in 3 years where I used to live.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)