Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 3, 2016
23 posts
3 upvotes

Rental Car Insurance from Tangerine

Hello,

I'm wondering who has a good understanding of the Rental Car insurance provided by credit card, and could help confirm my understanding

I know that a lot of the rental car insurance from credit card don't cover minivan. But this one looks good
Types of Rental Vehicles Covered
The types of rental vehicles covered include cars, sports utility vehicles and mini-vans (as defined below). Mini-vans are covered provided they:
(i) are for private passenger use with seating for no more than 8 occupants including the driver; and
(ii) are not to be used for hire by others.
For example, the 9ft minivan you can rent from homedepot/lowes/Uhaul, is covered by this insurance?

Thanks in advance.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4271 posts
1432 upvotes
Vancouver
...Did you read "Types of Rental Vehicles Not Covered" right beneath that paragraph?

The exclusion list is almost always more important than the covered list. Pay particular attention to the max. value of the car as well for the next time the rental company offers you a "free" upgrade to a premium car.
Removed external link in signature.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2016
23 posts
3 upvotes
@lhsonic Thanks for the reply
Types of Rental Vehicles Not Covered
Vehicles which belong to the following categories are not covered:
(i) vans, other than mini-vans as described above;
(ii) trucks, pick-up trucks or any vehicle that can be spontaneously reconfigured into a pick-up truck;
(iii) off-road vehicles;
(iv) motorcycles, mopeds or motorbikes;
(v) campers, trailers or recreational vehicles;
(vi) vehicles not licenced for road use;
(vii) mini-buses or buses;
(viii) antique cars (cars which are over 20 years old or have not been manufactured for 10 years or more);
(ix) any vehicle that is either wholly or in part hand-made, or has a limited production of under 2,500 vehicles per year;
(x) any vehicle with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price excluding all taxes, over sixty-five thousand dollars ($65,000), at the time and place of loss;
(xi) tax-free cars (a tax-free car package that provides tourists with a short-term (17 days to 6 months), tax-free vehicle lease agreement with a guaranteed buyback);
(xii) vehicles towing or propelling trailers or any other object; and
(xiii) expensive or exotic vehicles.
I'm looking at this cardholder agreement https://www.tangerine.ca/fberoot/pdf/en ... df#page=21

Retail prince?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
7086 posts
7405 upvotes
Vancouver
justnight wrote: Hello,

I'm wondering who has a good understanding of the Rental Car insurance provided by credit card, and could help confirm my understanding

I know that a lot of the rental car insurance from credit card don't cover minivan. But this one looks good

For example, the 9ft minivan you can rent from homedepot/lowes/Uhaul, is covered by this insurance?

Thanks in advance.
justnight wrote: @lhsonic Thanks for the reply

I'm looking at this cardholder agreement https://www.tangerine.ca/fberoot/pdf/en ... df#page=21

Retail prince?
The van from Home Depot is NOT covered.. it's clearly stated in the exclusion list above. Mini Vans are usually passenger vehicles with seating for 5 to 7. I've never seen a credit card rental coverage not cover a mini van.

Ron.
100% Upvote to post ratio! :)
[OP]
Aug 3, 2016
23 posts
3 upvotes
@newfbc

I think you're referring to
(i) are for private passenger use with seating for no more than 8 occupants including the driver
I was trying to explain it in the way "as long as it's not that many passenger it's ok", but I did sense "for private passenger use" excludes those cargo vans....

Thanks for the reply
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3237 posts
2374 upvotes
Montreal
Types of Rental Vehicles Not Covered
Vehicles which belong to the following categories are not covered:
(i) vans, other than mini-vans as described above;
justnight wrote: For example, the 9ft minivan you can rent from homedepot/lowes/Uhaul, is covered by this insurance?
That’s not a minivan, that’s just a van and is excluded as per the quote above.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)