Rental Cars in Calgary

[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
2882 posts
796 upvotes

Rental Cars in Calgary

Hi RFDers,

I am planning a trip to Jasper and see some lakes. Can anyone recommend good rental car companies around Calgary International Airport?

Thanks!
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
8110 posts
4495 upvotes
Alberta
I always use Enterprise but basically, they're all the same if you rent from the airport. Check this before you go. Some places like Miette Hotsprings is still closed due to covid-19. Must see: Mt Edith Cavell, avoid Columbia Icefields, it's a huge tourist trap, especially the Ice Explorer Tour. What looks like they are driving through a river is actually a small tire wash. lol.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/jasper ... id-19-info
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8421 posts
1317 upvotes
Vancouver
If you rent with national and sign up for their club you can proceed directly to a rental car of your choice if you choose emerald aisle.

Quick check of I’d and credit card and your on your way. Might not be the cheapest option but we use them for work and it does save time though I imagine most counters aren’t too busy these days. On the flip side going to a counter you might be able to get an upgrade due to lack of business.

You can try using autoslash.com to get a better deal.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3966 posts
3182 upvotes
GangStarr wrote: If you rent with national and sign up for their club you can proceed directly to a rental car of your choice if you choose emerald aisle.

Quick check of I’d and credit card and your on your way. Might not be the cheapest option but we use them for work and it does save time though I imagine most counters aren’t too busy these days. On the flip side going to a counter you might be able to get an upgrade due to lack of business.

You can try using autoslash.com to get a better deal.
Most rental agencies like Avis/budget/Hertz etc have similar programs (proceed directly to get your car and skip counter)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3236 posts
1862 upvotes
Edmonton
StatsGuy wrote: Most rental agencies like Avis/budget/Hertz etc have similar programs (proceed directly to get your car and skip counter)
Sure but they are not endorsed by David Puddy!
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3087 posts
741 upvotes
Vaughan
starchoice wrote: Sure but they are not endorsed by David Puddy!
LOL... nice. I had to think who he was for a sec.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Oct 23, 2013
146 posts
189 upvotes
Calgary
Avis has very nice cars in YYC if you manage to get an upgrade you can enjoy a fun car. I got X5, CTS, Land Rover, Challenger (!), etc.
Nov 2, 2015
981 posts
406 upvotes
Markham
just curious do they disinfecting car between uses?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5818 posts
2946 upvotes
Mississauga
StatsGuy wrote: Most rental agencies like Avis/budget/Hertz etc have similar programs (proceed directly to get your car and skip counter)
True, but only the bigger airports have skip-the-counter service.

I use National (my company has corporate account) and my last rental (YYC) was an Audi A5.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4627 posts
1047 upvotes
Scarborough
I use National as well. They are the same company under Enterprise and Alamo.

National is a bit more expensive, but they have newer cars. Alamo can be a bit cheaper than Enterprise sometimes because they don't (or didn't) have a rewards program. In the past, once a rental car hits 15,000 miles at National, it gets moved to Enterprise/Alamo. National also has Emerald Aisle, which lets you skip the counter and choose any car in the designated aisle instead of have a CSR assign a car to you.

Always check prices of different class. I've done many reservations where luxury or SUV rentals are cheaper than a mid-size sedan rental.
Nov 2, 2015
981 posts
406 upvotes
Markham
The car rental is so expensive or unavailable from Calgary to Vancouver
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4344 posts
378 upvotes
a16107 wrote: The car rental is so expensive or unavailable from Calgary to Vancouver
1 way rentals are generally pricier if picked up and from dropped off at a different location. Especially if it's in a different city/province.
You MIGHT get lucky if they happened to have that needed to go back to their province (ie. Alberta plated car that's been sitting in BC for while), but that's a tough call.

No harm in calling the location and asking if that's common though. They might cut you a break since you're helping them out in a sense by taking it back for them.
Nov 2, 2015
981 posts
406 upvotes
Markham
IceBlueShoes wrote: 1 way rentals are generally pricier if picked up and from dropped off at a different location. Especially if it's in a different city/province.
You MIGHT get lucky if they happened to have that needed to go back to their province (ie. Alberta plated car that's been sitting in BC for while), but that's a tough call.

No harm in calling the location and asking if that's common though. They might cut you a break since you're helping them out in a sense by taking it back for them.
But If I make a reservation online, the price is "as is"?

I tried Alamo from Calgary to Vancouver and the quote price for one week is C$500 all in. Is it sound reasonable??

I usually paid C$200-300 for weekly rental in same location return in US or other big city.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5818 posts
2946 upvotes
Mississauga
You're doing a one-way rental which will add (sometimes significantly) to the cost. $500 a week all-in sounds a little high but you need more quotes to know for sure.