Real Estate

Rental House - water bill very very high!!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2021 11:05 pm
[OP]
Jun 28, 2010
330 posts
97 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON

Rental House - water bill very very high!!

Hey guys,

Anyone have advice for this?

My tenants are responsible for paying electricity and water. The bill last month is extremely high. It's over 10x normal usage. Nothing is leaking (toilets, taps, shower, washers). I also payed for a plumber to go investigate. I am trying to contact the hydro company to see if there is a mistake with the reading. No one is picking up the phone and emails are not being replied to. It's so frustrating.

Anyways, who should pay for this high bill? I understand if there was a toilet leaking and I didn't get it fixed, I would pay for it. I don't mind paying for it in that case . What if there is nothing wrong with the reading and there is nothing wrong with the plumbing? The tenants swear they haven't changed their water usage habits.

Should we split it? What should I do?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2430 posts
1481 upvotes
Calgary
does your bill states its an actual reading or estimated? wait for the hydro corp and also get a second opinion.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1810 posts
1830 upvotes
Btw Hydro is for electricity billing and not water. Isn’t the water bill typically from the city?
Nov 24, 2007
497 posts
66 upvotes
Any chance that you have a water filter/softener system that backwashes? If it gets stuck in backwash, that would cause extremely high water usage without a visible leak.
Jan 9, 2021
137 posts
105 upvotes
Does tenant have hidden fish tanks maybe? Even that shouldn’t be 10X higher.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
You need to dig into what's caused the high bill before you decide how to handle it. It should be up to you to track that down, not the tenant, since the bill is in your name and the property maintenance is your responsibility.

C
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4585 posts
1826 upvotes
GTA
How long has this tenant been in the home? If this is their first month, then they are likely the culprit. If, however, they've been there for some time and all of a sudden the usage has increased, it could be due to something out of their control.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2628 posts
3149 upvotes
Neighbour have or put in a pool lately?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4393 posts
2564 upvotes
Toronto
DonkeyKong wrote: Hey guys,

Anyone have advice for this?

My tenants are responsible for paying electricity and water. The bill last month is extremely high. It's over 10x normal usage. Nothing is leaking (toilets, taps, shower, washers). I also payed for a plumber to go investigate. I am trying to contact the hydro company to see if there is a mistake with the reading. No one is picking up the phone and emails are not being replied to. It's so frustrating.

Anyways, who should pay for this high bill? I understand if there was a toilet leaking and I didn't get it fixed, I would pay for it. I don't mind paying for it in that case . What if there is nothing wrong with the reading and there is nothing wrong with the plumbing? The tenants swear they haven't changed their water usage habits.

Should we split it? What should I do?
Why are you mentioning Hydro (electricity) if it's the water bill that's high? Or is hydro bill very high also?

For water, see if your municipality has a website that tracks your daily water usage. Then you can see if certain days of the month have spikes, and could possibly explain why the amount is high if tenants can identify high water usage activities done on those days. Also good to check on days they were gone the whole day, if the usage shows 0.

For Toronto I use: https://www.toronto.ca/services-payment ... ertoronto/
I see you're in Richmond Hill, but no idea what online services they may offer.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7691 posts
5126 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I'm confused why calling the Hydro company over a water bill, or am I misunderstanding something here?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6574 posts
6048 upvotes
My hydro bill include electricity and water and it's not from the city but the hydro company.

OP I wouldn't take your tenant's word for it just because they swear they haven't changed anything. The bill is under their name so they are responsible for it. Ask to see their bill before the increase and the subsequent bills to verify that indeed their is an increase with water (not electricity). If you have verified there's no leak and paid for a plumber then it should be the tenant's responsibility.
Last edited by hierophant on Aug 11th, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
2628 posts
3149 upvotes
hierophant wrote: My hydro bill include electricity and water and it's not from the city but the hydro company.
Same here, Alectra does both in parts of York.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6574 posts
6048 upvotes
If it's just the one bill then it very well can be a wrong reading which will be corrected at the next metre reading - happened to me. You can check yourself by looking at the reading on the bill and what's on the metre.
[OP]
Jun 28, 2010
330 posts
97 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
I get the bill from Newmarket Hydro which includes both electricity and water. It was the water softener. Something is wrong with it. Once we turned it off we could see the meter reading stop advancing.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3215 posts
6160 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
GTA12345 wrote: Same here, Alectra does both in parts of York.

Yep came to post this, Alectra has electricity, water, and storm on the same bill.
RE Broker
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2525 posts
695 upvotes
Toronto, ON
edit: should've kept reading, op found his problem