• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2019 9:57 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 30, 2009
322 posts
18 upvotes

Rental rate variance

Was browsing for a 7 seater rental through pricline and noticed thers a huge price difference between various brands any idea why?
The rates are as follows
Enterprise=$67
Routes=$23
Dollar=54
budjet=55
hertz=57
avis=55

Any idea why routes =$23 ?
did you ever rent from routes?
could you kindly share your inputs.
Thanks
20 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24795 posts
1908 upvotes
Markham, ON
for 7 seaters...its about location and availability probably
Jul 19, 2010
611 posts
249 upvotes
Calgary
I have heard bad things about routes.. I would personally stay away.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14724 posts
9139 upvotes
Toronto
drtmrcht wrote: I have heard bad things about routes.. I would personally stay away.
Agreed. Never heard of it, googled it and you will know why it's cheap.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2317 posts
1861 upvotes
Ottawa
Need to be careful with low cost, no frills renters. They like to tack on fees. I recommend sticking to the well known renters, but even then, make sure to read the fine print carefully.
Sep 25, 2018
740 posts
1373 upvotes
dea[i wrote:lbarons post_id=31618943 time=1572355934 user_id=229297]
Any idea why routes =$23 ?
did you ever rent from routes?
could you kindly share your inputs.
Thanks
Because, from what I see online, if you went with Routes, the $23 will become $123 because what you "reserved" is not available.
Then after you return the car they will charge you $1000 for damage to the body that existed before you rent, but sadly you didn't take picture of that before you drive off the lot...
[OP]
Apr 30, 2009
322 posts
18 upvotes
How about Alamo rentals?
Any experience with them?
Found them through Costco rentals.
Aug 8, 2007
534 posts
382 upvotes
dealbarons wrote: How about Alamo rentals?
I get a headache from trying all the coupons etc. you need to try to get the best price but I found Costco usually the cheapest and easiest to use, same or better to the corporate rates I am eligible for and they include free extra driver. You can also try Costco.com as prices vary to those on Costco.ca. I am wondering if the Honey browser add in could be good as well but haven’t tried it as Costco is so much easier assuming you are a member and there are so many reasons to be a member so why not.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2317 posts
1861 upvotes
Ottawa
I've used Alamo a few times. Nothing wrong from my experience.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4120 posts
3578 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've had decent luck with AutoSlash.com, haven't been able to find better rates elsewhere.

Well, except for this one time in Hawaii where Amex travel had the lowest rates by far at ~$30/day for a mid-size SUV compared to ~$50/day elsewhere. Weird.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4751 posts
5866 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Whichever you go with, make sure to closely inspect and mark any existing damages on the car before you drive off. The cheap rental companies get you by charging you for every scratch or ding that's on the car that wasn't identified.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26644 posts
3555 upvotes
Montreal
Alamo is fine. I've used them a lot in the US. Even dollar is fine. I don't know about Routes.

I'll be honest I just pick the cheapest rate any aggregator site like Travelocity gives me. I've never had issues with extra fees. Mind you I always rent compact or mid size sedans so there is usually something in stock.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8738 posts
5670 upvotes
Kootenays
dealbarons wrote: Can i use .com to book from Canada too?
Yes. I've done it many times.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
Enterprise is the biggest piece of crap rental company around. Always expensive and just all over bad.

Budget its the best of all.
Jul 3, 2017
134 posts
183 upvotes
Costco travel gets my vote. Rented from them a couple of times this year with no issues. Key is to reserve a few months out to get the best rate, especially for popular destinations. I like the feature of renting from one location and returning it to another city without huge fee (I think it needs to be in same state, though)
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3124 posts
2414 upvotes
Toronto
MusicBox wrote: Enterprise is the biggest piece of crap rental company around. Always expensive and just all over bad.

Budget its the best of all.
I've had the exact opposite experience with Enterprise and I rent a lot of cars for business trips, as long term commercial rentals.
Jun 24, 2016
339 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
Alamo owned by Enterprise, I always use them in US and its very good.
Dec 27, 2014
97 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto, ON
WMPCOT wrote: I've had the exact opposite experience with Enterprise and I rent a lot of cars for business trips, as long term commercial rentals.
My experience as well. Enterprise has always been the best for me.....
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12427 posts
3626 upvotes
GTA
WaterBoy49 wrote: My experience as well. Enterprise has always been the best for me.....
Never once had a problem with Enterprise. Have used Discount the last few times, as they were cheapest, no issues there either.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)