• Jul 30th, 2020 11:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
24786 posts
199971 upvotes
GTA

Rental results in $18K repair bill

This guy rented a Tiguan and experienced transmission failure during the rental period. Now he's on the hook for the $18K repair bill because the rental agency (Enterprise) maintains that after it was towed and and an inspection was done, excessive mud and damage to the undercarriage was found. Assuming this guy is telling the truth and didn't actually take it off-road, it makes me wonder if there is the possibility that the previous renter had done something and they never noticed (since this was damage to the undercarriage - no idea how in-depth inspections are upon return of the rental). No insurance coverage was taken but it wouldn't have mattered anyway since this was mechanical damage.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/driver-who-r ... -1.5044711
35 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31902 posts
18903 upvotes
Toronto
$18K for tranny repair bill ... for a VW. That's just wrong and abusive billing claim, IMO on just this specific matter.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19459 posts
22583 upvotes
GTA
I always take photo/video before and after renting the car, being sure to cover the top, sides, bottom and inside of the car. 5 min of work but well worth it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10149 upvotes
Toronto
Surprising.

It says that the dealership got him the car and later it said Lui rented. I guess it doesn't matter, but holy smokes.
Earlier this year, Liu said his wife’s vehicle needed repairs but the part wasn’t available due to COVID-19.
"Because of the pandemic, they didn't have the part and the dealership had to rent a car for me," he said.
Liu was given a 2019 Volkswagen Tiguan as a rental
Liu rented the SUV from Enterprise Car Rentals
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13104 posts
4706 upvotes
Ontario
They said the oil was contaminated and thats why it failed. Going off road would not get mud/dirt into the transmission oil to cause it to fail. Going in the mud would not cause it to fail weeks later. Sounds like they did not check the car properly when another renter brought it back and now are blaming this guy.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2128 posts
749 upvotes
Pain on the ass
Don't know if rental company can register the debt to liu's credit, or he can throw the bill out and move on.
If happen to me, I would produce a few records showing I was around in town, and warn them if they continue to collect there will be a lawyer and will be fee.
Last edited by napoleonbot on Jul 30th, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
<signature removed>
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19459 posts
22583 upvotes
GTA
sickcars wrote: They said the oil was contaminated and thats why it failed. Going off road would not get mud/dirt into the transmission oil to cause it to fail. Going in the mud would not cause it to fail weeks later. Sounds like they did not check the car properly when another renter brought it back and now are blaming this guy.
If there's a breather vent on top it could get muddy water into the transmission. It may not even be offroading. Driving through a deep puddle/flooded street could do it.

Older Tiguan looks to have a vent on top. Part Number: 0AM409847 #27 in dwg.
https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/product ... 09847.html
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31902 posts
18903 upvotes
Toronto
or perhaps, could it have happened when we had those big downpour rainstorm in the last few weeks that flooded the streets in some area and the renter simply drove right thru those flooded roads
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13104 posts
4706 upvotes
Ontario
ah yes thats true too.
engineered wrote: If there's a breather vent on top it could get muddy water into the transmission. It may not even be offroading. Driving through a deep puddle/flooded street could do it.

Older Tiguan looks to have a vent on top. Part Number: 0AM409847 #27 in dwg.
https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/product ... 09847.html
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10149 upvotes
Toronto
Very good points on the street floodings from the gta storm a few weeks ago. rfd detectives.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
577 upvotes
kitchener
This is why rental companies have insurance.
I would pay them nothing.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3931 posts
3786 upvotes
Toronto
angry-trucker wrote: This is why rental companies have insurance.
I would pay them nothing.
You signed a contract with them holding you liable for any damages, not saying enterprise is right in this case but they can just send it to collections or take you to court for payment you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1387 posts
1422 upvotes
ON
engineered wrote: I always take photo/video before and after renting the car, being sure to cover the top, sides, bottom and inside of the car. 5 min of work but well worth it.
I do too but never for the bottom. Who would have thought that the bottom may become so crucial...lol
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10125 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
Now before taking a rental, have inspected like if your were buying the car, take it up on a life.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15005 posts
11533 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
That's why I don't rent.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19459 posts
22583 upvotes
GTA
Holystone wrote: I do too but never for the bottom. Who would have thought that the bottom may become so crucial...lol
Yea, I don't crawl under the car, just hold the camera under. May or may not have helped the OP here. If there was mud all over it would show, but if the car ran through a car wash after driving it through a flooded road, it wouldn't show the mud in the transmission.

Still, I'd fight the rental company, they should be forced to prove it was OP.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
It would be interesting to see how this plays out in a court case. It should be up to Enterprise to prove that the driver caused the damage. But if the damage was only visible when the bumper was removed and the undercarriage inspected, I've never seen an inspection like that done when I've done a return. I've never even seen anyone look under the vehicle. Which would mean that they don't have a way to prove that the damage was done by the guy getting threatened with the bill. All the renter would have to do is request the inspection form for the rental prior to his, and question the person who did the inspection on what was actually inspected.

But it would all come down to how good the lawyers involved are, and how people come across under questioning.

C
Banned
Jul 24, 2009
834 posts
577 upvotes
kitchener
WMPCOT wrote: You signed a contract with them holding you liable for any damages, not saying enterprise is right in this case but they can just send it to collections or take you to court for payment you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
First they have to prove any damages to OP.
Unless they have a time stamped pics of the underbody right before he drove off with the car, they don't have very much to go on.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2434 posts
1485 upvotes
Calgary
'Enterprise also said rental vehicles are carefully checked to make sure customers are not charged for damage they didn't cause. Liu didn't take out additional insurance, but was told it would not have covered mechanical damage anyway. "

Given my recent rental experience, i can say with certainty is BS.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 29, 2002
5414 posts
2388 upvotes
Vancouver
didnt the dealership have a loaner
"You gotta spend money to save money"