Home & Garden

Rental water heater replacement - new contract ?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2020 11:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2935 posts
1412 upvotes
GTA

Rental water heater replacement - new contract ?

Just bought a house. Inherited the rental water heater from previous owner. It kept going to lockout mode and no hot water. Called reliance, technician came and checked and told me that the flame sensor needs to be replaced, but as the unit is rusted, the entire heater has to be replaced.

As the heater is 10 years old, reliance said the tank is no longer in contract. they also confirmed that even though they are replacing it with new, there will not be new contract.

Can anyone confirm this? Just don’t want 7 more years
3 replies
Feb 11, 2009
391 posts
132 upvotes
Just read the contract before you sign anything? Don't believe what they say before confirming what the contract says
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2935 posts
1412 upvotes
GTA
TomLafinsky wrote: Don't believe anything said verbally. Get it in writing if the rental contract is really over (contact head office and ask for email confirmation). If rental is over and you are free then RUN!!!! Forget Reliance. Get your own tank and have it installed by people you choose.
This is in a investment property that I just bought. Unfortunately, the water tank is used in a hydronic system to heat the house (hot water goes through the furnace making air hot). I think this water tank would be a bit expensive to replace (~4K).
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12147 posts
7338 upvotes
Paris
headleygrange wrote: This is in a investment property that I just bought. Unfortunately, the water tank is used in a hydronic system to heat the house (hot water goes through the furnace making air hot). I think this water tank would be a bit expensive to replace (~4K).
A few houses on my street have water furnaces. I think they are just higher output (75-100k BTU). Not $4k, maybe $2 installed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)