Real Estate

Rentals - Female Only

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2020 6:29 pm
[OP]
Apr 9, 2020
6 posts

Rentals - Female Only

Hi guys just wanted to get your opinions/thoughts. Can a landlord (male) restrict the sex of a tenant (female only) if the rental is not a shared space, but only for 1 individual? Or is there a law against that? Kinda get the feeling there are creepy single men who own properties for rent that just want to use their rentals as leverage for dating/hookups/potential prospects.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2010
1841 posts
902 upvotes
Moon
I believe it is illegal. The people you talking about won't care about the legality of it though.
Nov 1, 2001
948 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
There was one divorced old woman I knew who was renting out her basement. She felt more comfortable with female because shared areas.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1327 posts
1178 upvotes
Toronto
Why not. I think its a reasonable request.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5768 posts
2931 upvotes
Thornhill
It's illegal however it would be okay if he wanted a male tenant only.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1884 posts
417 upvotes
Females keep the house much more cleaner and less wear and tear.
Mar 7, 2017
13 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Singh_21 wrote: Females keep the house much more cleaner and less wear and tear.
That’s debatable and entirely cultural. More home cooking. Crappy Pinterest and Instagram home decorating projects that ruin existing finishes, less inclined to do simple repairs and replacements themselves, pads disposed of in toilets, makeup stains. Etc. Etc.
Jan 7, 2019
310 posts
284 upvotes
Singh_21 wrote: Females keep the house much more cleaner and less wear and tear.
Too much of a stereotype. I know girls who are way messier than I am and don’t clean up after themselves. (I’m a male)
Remember to always Thumbs Up good responses! Spread positively.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2546 posts
401 upvotes
my buddy did that before with a property next to a university, rent out to females only, not a problem. He end up getting a wife out of it also.
Banned
Jan 23, 2016
1430 posts
405 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
You want to restrict the gender of someone renting a non shared space to female only.......dont worry buddy we wont tell anyone about your hidden cameras or your cam site you are selling the footage on. May I suggest you dont limit it to just one female though? Your revenues will probably be higher be higher with 2
Sig abuse is not permitted on RFD - Mods
Apr 16, 2020
41 posts
52 upvotes
rogerrabbit168 wrote: my buddy did that before with a property next to a university, rent out to females only, not a problem. He end up getting a wife out of it also.
So he was one of the creepy men OP was talking about.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11510 posts
7798 upvotes
Edmonton
JohnDoe00 wrote: Hi guys just wanted to get your opinions/thoughts. Can a landlord (male) restrict the sex of a tenant (female only) if the rental is not a shared space, but only for 1 individual? Or is there a law against that? Kinda get the feeling there are creepy single men who own properties for rent that just want to use their rentals as leverage for dating/hookups/potential prospects.
If you’re the landlord, you should make sure to never give a reason for declining a tenant’s application in any case. Making a decision based on someone’s gender sure sounds like gender discrimination, much the same as if you said that you wouldn’t rent to people of a particular ethnicity would be racial discrimination. So you’re walking on thin ice, IMHO. But, IANAL.

Second, keep in mind that you have no say over roommates. So as long as the tenant isn’t breaking any bylaws, you can’t prevent them from having a male (or female) move in with them. Even if your lease doesn’t allow it; that portion of the lease would be voided if it made it to the LTB for a hearing.

And third, if you (as a male landlord) stated that you’d only rent to a female tenant, you would very much give off the “creepy landlord” vibe and scare off many prospective tenants, I’d think. If you have a spouse who could handle the application process, it would probably help a lot.

C
Jun 7, 2017
944 posts
678 upvotes
BC
Legally, cannot be done via advertising and contract. In practice, can be achieved through tenant selection. To be frank, you can just keep looking for a tenant who you "trust".
Oct 22, 2019
100 posts
84 upvotes
He can have that mind set but he can't publicly announce that he's only looking for females.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3603 posts
3720 upvotes
I've seen people publicly post this on ads, and no, it's not legal.

Replace "women" with "blacks" or "Asians" or "Whites". If the latter 3 don't make you cringe, it should.

Racism/sexism, etc is just that.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.