Real Estate

Renter Neglecting Home - Can We Do Anything? (Pickering, Ontario)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2020 11:19 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 4, 2017
759 posts
490 upvotes

Renter Neglecting Home - Can We Do Anything? (Pickering, Ontario)

My SIL rents her home. Today, me and her went to the home to check a leak. The house was disgustingly dirty and unkept. Garbage everywhere, clutter, etc. The home was very well kept and clean before they moved in. Can she do anything?

Location: Pickering Ontario
Last edited by IHavocI on Aug 15th, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
53 replies
Sr. Member
Jun 7, 2017
944 posts
678 upvotes
BC
Can you clarify? Do anything for what?
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 4, 2017
759 posts
490 upvotes
Furcorn wrote: Can you clarify? Do anything for what?
Do we have the power to ask them to care of the home properly, making sure it's clean and tidy?

What is our best course of action?

What can we do if they dont take care of the home? Or refuse to?

The home is absolutely disgusting. It's like animals have taken over the home.
Sr. Member
Jun 7, 2017
944 posts
678 upvotes
BC
IHavocI wrote: Do we have the power to ask them to care of the home properly, making sure it's clean and tidy?

What is our best course of action?

What can we do if they dont take care of the home? Or refuse to?

The home is absolutely disgusting. It's like animals have taken over the home.
You want to tell them how they should live? That seems presumptuous on your part. They are adults, they pay rent, it's their home to do as they please.

If it becomes a liability to the facility then you might be able to request an intervention from the LTB. Call them?
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 4, 2017
759 posts
490 upvotes
Furcorn wrote: You want to tell them how they should live? That seems presumptuous on your part. They are adults, they pay rent, it's their home to do as they please.

If it becomes a liability to the facility then you might be able to request an intervention from the LTB. Call them?
The house has clearly been neglected. There's garbage and old food everywhere. There isn't a place to sit because there is garbage and clutter in every corner and area of the home. The floor is turning black and is sticky because they don't clean the home at all. It's disgustingly dirty.

I just want them to stop completely neglecting the home.

I don't believe I'm being presumptuous.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
43743 posts
6969 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
IHavocI wrote: The house has clearly been neglected. There's garbage and old food everywhere. There isn't a place to sit because there is garbage and clutter in every corner and area of the home. The floor is turning black and is sticky because they don't clean the home at all. It's disgustingly dirty.

I just want them to stop completely neglecting the home.

I don't believe I'm being presumptuous.
How exactly does this cause damage to the home?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1264 posts
954 upvotes
HAMILTON
it would assist greatly, in others providing advice , if you told us the province in which the issue has arisen. Each province may have different rules.

Not being an expert ...... I just googled for Ontario and came up with this >>>>>>>>>

" https://ontariolandlordandtenantlaw.blo ... to-do.html "

So you may find it just as easy to google for your current circumstances and in the applicable province.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 4, 2017
759 posts
490 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: How exactly does this cause damage to the home?

Neglect and lack of care has the potential to cause damage to a home. Especially, over time.

Same way you neglect a vehicle, it can damage it.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 4, 2017
759 posts
490 upvotes
luckystrike1 wrote: it would assist greatly, in others providing advice , if you told us the province in which the issue has arisen. Each province may have different rules.

Not being an expert ...... I just googled for Ontario and came up with this >>>>>>>>>

" https://ontariolandlordandtenantlaw.blo ... to-do.html "

So you may find it just as easy to google for your current circumstances and in the applicable province.
Thank you. It's Ontario, I updated my post.
Jr. Member
Jun 8, 2009
139 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
IHavocI wrote: Thank you. It's Ontario, I updated my post.
Eviction time
N7 for tenant. L2 at the tribunal.

Of course take necessary steps to contact tenant first to clean up the place. Document everything including photos. If that fails, do the above.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 4, 2017
759 posts
490 upvotes
beemer2009 wrote: Eviction time
N7 for tenant. L2 at the tribunal.

Of course take necessary steps to contact tenant first to clean up the place. Document everything including photos. If that fails, do the above.
Can't the renter just deny our request to take pictures?
Jr. Member
Jun 8, 2009
139 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
IHavocI wrote: Can't the renter just deny our request to take pictures?
You can’t force them to keep the place neat and tidy. That’s a subjective assessment. But if they damage the property then they can be liable. Problem is getting them to pay for fixing the damage. Say you manage to evict them, you finally take possession and realize it costs you 5k to fix everything. Then you must chase them through small claims court.
Just because there is stuff untidy that just makes them a messy tenant. If you suspect that there are more tenants living there than originally agreed then they may be in breach of the lease agreement.
Read about N7 to determine if it applies.
Bottom line if they pay on time and do not cause substantial damage, I would say leave it be.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 4, 2017
759 posts
490 upvotes
beemer2009 wrote: You can’t force them to keep the place neat and tidy. That’s a subjective assessment. But if they damage the property then they can be liable. Problem is getting them to pay for fixing the damage. Say you manage to evict them, you finally take possession and realize it costs you 5k to fix everything. Then you must chase them through small claims court.
Just because there is stuff untidy that just makes them a messy tenant. If you suspect that there are more tenants living there than originally agreed then they may be in breach of the lease agreement.
Read about N7 to determine if it applies.
Bottom line if they pay on time and do not cause substantial damage, I would say leave it be.
I found this in the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006

"The tenant is responsible for ordinary cleanliness of the rental unit, except to the extent that the tenancy agreement requires the landlord to clean it. 2006, c. 17, s. 33."
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
43743 posts
6969 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
IHavocI wrote:
The house has clearly been neglected. There's garbage and old food everywhere. There isn't a place to sit because there is garbage and clutter in every corner and area of the home. The floor is turning black and is sticky because they don't clean the home at all. It's disgustingly dirty.

I just want them to stop completely neglecting the home.

I don't believe I'm being presumptuous.
UrbanPoet wrote: How exactly does this cause damage to the home?
You actually have to answer this question if you want any chance of successfully evicting the person.
It has to be well drawn out, documented, and reasonable as to what damage this “messiness” causes for you to even have a small chance of evicting him.

Neglect and lack of care has the potential to cause damage to a home. Especially, over time.
Thats not going to work

If you say something like

“Um... the dirty floor has the potential to damage the home.” Is not going to get this tenant evicted.

Top