Real Estate

Renter Neglecting Home - Can We Do Anything? (Pickering, Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2020 11:19 am
Sep 7, 2018
727 posts
646 upvotes
Some of you must live like slobs - no pride of ownership - even in a rental

Disgusting.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
44180 posts
7257 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Frankly... OP probably shouldnt do anything if its simply just a messy tenant. Even if they are a reeeeallly messy tenant (except some examples).

Why.... the most civilized and best course of action can have repercussions. “Excuse me sir. Can you please be more tidy?”.

Another civilized way... write letters and documentation giving them “friendly reminders”

“Hello. Just a friendly reminder that keeping hallways and entry ways free of clutter prevents fire hazards. Please ensure your home is free of excess clutter in order to avoid fire hazzards.this is to protect your safety, as well as the safety of other occupants.

And ensure garbage is tied up and taken out frequently to assist us in preventing peat infestations.”

That can insult them. And they actually don’t have to comply if its just a messy tenant.

The only instances where you can do anything, is if the messiness actually causes damage/dangers. It seems like it doesnt because other wise OP would mention it. He is just bothered by someone being messy in his rental property.

Example

-the garbage is rotting food or exposed food. But if it causes pest infestations
A few sandwich crust and greasy pizza boxes with crust isnt gonna do it. The bar in ontario is rotting food EVERY where with flies and roaches climbing out of it.

-if clutter or garbage is impeding fire exits inside the unit, or if garbage/clutter is in common areas.

@ the end of the day... it seems really just a lifestyle choice of theirs that doesnt align with yours.

Send written documentation like the above and keep records of it all. Time, date, delivery time etc.
That way if you ever do need to evict them for actual damage, you have something to go by.

This is going by my experience when i worked as a social housing administrator (think landlord for government housing). So i’ve seen the worst of the worst.
One with literally thousands of roaches everywhere... and dead cats believe it or not. It was horrifying that one was being eaten by roaches.

Thats why i have little faith that you can do anything except in an actual extenuating circumstance.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5097 posts
2167 upvotes
markham
superscoots wrote: Some of you must live like slobs - no pride of ownership - even in a rental

Disgusting.
pride of ownership?
what pride does a renter have of completing his landlords ownership?,,,if you play the game...you live with the score
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4054 posts
2816 upvotes
Furcorn wrote: You want to tell them how they should live? That seems presumptuous on your part. They are adults, they pay rent, it's their home to do as they please.

If it becomes a liability to the facility then you might be able to request an intervention from the LTB. Call them?
No it's not their home to do as they please just because they are paying rent. What bad logic. It is owner's property, not the renter's and it's being devalued. I can only imagine the pest infestation problem that will ultimately arise from, rodents can do a lot of damage and they're pretty hard to get rid of, as are roaches.
Last edited by hierophant on Aug 16th, 2020 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1012 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
IHavocI wrote: I found this in the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006

"The tenant is responsible for ordinary cleanliness of the rental unit, except to the extent that the tenancy agreement requires the landlord to clean it. 2006, c. 17, s. 33."
They had some clause like this when you buy homes as well. People will still leave it in shit. I had a lawyer and it still didn't help
Sep 7, 2018
727 posts
646 upvotes
This is why I don't do home landlording, condos are small and you can only trash them so much. Also hard to have a grow op in 350 sq ft. Lol
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
793 posts
533 upvotes
Clutter alone is a minor issue and can be easily cleaned for the most part. I have nieces and nephews, so I understand first hand that homes will have clutter. The major issue is the unsanitary dirtiness of the home. Old garbage laying around all over the home. Dirt, filth, grease, and stains everywhere. When I first saw the condition of the home, I almost refused to believe that a family could live here.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
793 posts
533 upvotes
And for some reason, every air vent cover (that I saw) was in a closed clear plastic bag and then on top of the air vent. I have no idea why.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11729 posts
7993 upvotes
Edmonton
You can't tell your tenants how to live, unfortunately. And the LTB isn't taking hearings at this point unless something extreme is happening.

For your sake, I hope you took good pictures before the tenants moved in, and you can try to claim damages from them when they move out.

C
Oct 19, 2011
27 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
This are rough & bad times for landlords, big and small, not sure if you aware of what's going on with the industry. If you're tennant would stop paying you rent, it can take you a year to evict him! If you're tenant pays the rent I would leave him alone,you risk loosing many thousands of dollars and many headaches.
"Not to enter into a Water Heater Rental contract in the first place. As a home owner, you don't rent your shingles, fridge, windows, stove or furnace, why would you want to rent the hot water tank?"
Oct 19, 2011
27 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
IHavocI wrote: And for some reason, every air vent cover (that I saw) was in a closed clear plastic bag and then on top of the air vent. I have no idea why.
Like I wrote in a separate reply, do not step on you're tenant toes at this era, he could stop paying you rent whatsoever, it's a very shitty situation for landlords really get now.
"Not to enter into a Water Heater Rental contract in the first place. As a home owner, you don't rent your shingles, fridge, windows, stove or furnace, why would you want to rent the hot water tank?"
Jun 30, 2019
96 posts
128 upvotes
OP, this is the risk of being a landlord in Ontario. Renters have rights and it will be an uphill battle for you to ask the tenant to change their way of living.

You should have accounted for this type of behaviour and charged the appropriate rent to cover any damages by the tenant. If that doesn't make you happy, find a rental property in a landlord friendly province/state. Ontario ain't it.
Nov 22, 2009
100 posts
113 upvotes
Vancouver
My first step would be to talk to the tenant and gently asking them what's the issue with the neglect.
Messy & dirty is subjective to people's standard but you can explain to them that it impacts the property and can damage it
Then take it from there
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
793 posts
533 upvotes
vbomb wrote: My first step would be to talk to the tenant and gently asking them what's the issue with the neglect.
Messy & dirty is subjective to people's standard but you can explain to them that it impacts the property and can damage it
Then take it from there
I sent them an email yesterday. I made sure it was friendly reminder. I explained that clutter can be a fire hazard and that a clean unit prevents infestation of rodents. Also, showed that (based on the Residential Tenancies Act) they are responsible for the cleanliness of the unit.
Mar 10, 2004
638 posts
210 upvotes
James Stonehenge wrote: Of course not, no one wants to search for prospective tenants during a pandemic, and the money is good too isnt it?

Chalk it up to part of the rental business. Once they leave start the deep clean. If they dont leave, explore what others said.
Yup. Btw how long has tenant been there? If 10-20 years then u really shouldn t rock the boat.
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
793 posts
533 upvotes
tempperm wrote: Yup. Btw how long has tenant been there? If 10-20 years then u really shouldn t rock the boat.
1.5 years.
Dec 24, 2010
103 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Pay for a cleaning service if you're this bothered by it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
8774 posts
10560 upvotes
Toronto
Just reading some of these comments and some people must be teenagers or something, only lived in a place their parents cleaned for them. How can an unkempt home become damaged? Seriously? Roaches, mice, rats they can all cause serious damage to a home. Not to mention the damage that can be done to the HVAC system or drains.

OP give them 24 hours notice, take pictures, you do not need their permission, you tell them you are coming. Then start the eviction process.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11929 posts
6447 upvotes
Brampton
mazerbeaner wrote: Just reading some of these comments and some people must be teenagers or something, only lived in a place their parents cleaned for them. How can an unkempt home become damaged? Seriously? Roaches, mice, rats they can all cause serious damage to a home. Not to mention the damage that can be done to the HVAC system or drains.

OP give them 24 hours notice, take pictures, you do not need their permission, you tell them you are coming. Then start the eviction process.
It's clear you're not a landlord at least not one in Ontario.