Tags:
[OP]
Sep 29, 2012
732 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto

Renter Problem.

Hello

I recently bough property in Peterborough. It has 4 units where two of them were rented by previuos owner. and I got 2 new tents. I am having horrible time with the old tents they seems to have too many problems and many verbal agreement with old owner which they want me to honer it.... for example both of the old tent share hot water and they were sharing it before I bought the property as well now they are complaining they always run out if hot water, there is parking issues and constant complains about new tenets ...

1st tenant lease expires on end of may and 2nd tenant lease expires in 8 months.
anyway I can give them notice of eviction notice ? what's my right in this situation ?

any help will be greatly appreciated.
46 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12428 posts
8938 upvotes
Edmonton
sndeal wrote: Hello

I recently bough property in Peterborough. It has 4 units where two of them were rented by previuos owner. and I got 2 new tents. I am having horrible time with the old tents they seems to have too many problems and many verbal agreement with old owner which they want me to honer it.... for example both of the old tent share hot water and they were sharing it before I bought the property as well now they are complaining they always run out if hot water, there is parking issues and constant complains about new tenets ...

1st tenant lease expires on end of may and 2nd tenant lease expires in 8 months.
anyway I can give them notice of eviction notice ? what's my right in this situation ?

You can only evict for violations of the lease or RTA. Being a PITA doesn’t count. And because it’s a 4 unit building, you can’t even file for a personal use eviction.

C
Mar 30, 2017
859 posts
559 upvotes
You have no right for being a landlord in Ontario.
You have to honour existing lease agreement.
You cannot evict them for not liking them.
In fact, they can take you to tenancy board and ask for compensation of you not treating them like a king.
Landlord always lose in tenancy board.
Your only 'win' is to turn new tenants against old tenants, then you will have a fair fight in tenancy board, because it is no longer landlord vs tenant, but tenant vs tenant.
profit on 6/23/2021 = 117.61% since 11/10/2020 to be exact😎
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2991 posts
2800 upvotes
Montreal
Solution: sell the building. Yes, I'm being serious.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12428 posts
8938 upvotes
Edmonton
FrancisBacon wrote: Solution: sell the building. Yes, I'm being serious.
Well, that's what the last landlord did... :)

C
Oct 2, 2017
783 posts
548 upvotes
Tell them you won't do anything about it and send a new notice with updated rules. Their verbal agreement did not transfer over if it wasn't in the lease
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2874 posts
1557 upvotes
Ottawa
sndeal wrote: Hello

People really buy 4 unit buildings in Ontario and think they can evict someone at the end of a lease.?!?!? Yes this might be logical but they can basically stay forever. Once exception is you can renovate their units. If they are a bit dated and have weird things like sharing hot water it could be worthwhile and you up the rent and can depreciate your costs and bonus you get rid of them.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12428 posts
8938 upvotes
Edmonton
fogetmylogin wrote: People really buy 4 unit buildings in Ontario and think they can evict someone at the end of a lease.?!?!? Yes this might be logical but they can basically stay forever. Once exception is you can renovate their units. If they are a bit dated and have weird things like sharing hot water it could be worthwhile and you up the rent and can depreciate your costs and bonus you get rid of them.
Except the tenant has the right of first refusal after the renovations. So you’re taking a chance that you’re just spending a bunch of money and encouraging the tenant to stick around.

C
Jul 31, 2018
197 posts
73 upvotes
sndeal wrote: I bought the property as well now they are complaining they always run out if hot water
Check if your water tank generates hot water? If yes, then ignore your tenant's complaint.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12428 posts
8938 upvotes
Edmonton
maxineli wrote: Check if your water tank generates hot water? If yes, then ignore your tenant's complaint.
Hot water is considered a “vital service”. If the water system isn’t capable of providing sufficient hot water to the units, the landlord can be taken to the LTB and forced to make upgrades/repairs as needed. So, for example, if there’s a residential sized hot water tank (suitable for a single family) in a 4 unit building, saying that “hey, it’s putting out as much hot water as it can” won’t get the landlord off the hook.

C
Banned
Apr 15, 2021
33 posts
21 upvotes
maxineli wrote: Then deal with it then when the tenant makes the complaint. If the tenant gets fed up and doesn't bother to complain to LTB, tenant might move out. It's a win for the landlord.
This is terrible advice.
Jul 31, 2018
197 posts
73 upvotes
YoungStonerLife wrote: This is terrible advice.
I beg to differ. It might suck for the tenant, but no loss to the landlord. If tenant make complain to LTB, landlord will just be forced to upgrade the water tank then. That is IF the tenant decide to go through the trouble to complain. Most often than not, tenant likely will move out on their own to avoid frustration and trouble.
Jul 31, 2018
197 posts
73 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Hot water is considered a “vital service”. If the water system isn’t capable of providing sufficient hot water to the units, the landlord can be taken to the LTB and forced to make upgrades/repairs as needed. So, for example, if there’s a residential sized hot water tank (suitable for a single family) in a 4 unit building, saying that “hey, it’s putting out as much hot water as it can” won’t get the landlord off the hook.

C
As I say if the landlord's water tank is big enough to service the size of property, then landlord done their job.
If tenant decide to keep hot water running all day that tank can't keep up, that is not the landlord's problem to fix.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12428 posts
8938 upvotes
Edmonton
maxineli wrote: As I say if the landlord's water tank is big enough to service the size of property, then landlord done their job.
If tenant decide to keep hot water running all day that tank can't keep up, that is not the landlord's problem to fix.
No, you said:
Check if your water tank generates hot water? If yes, then ignore your tenant's complaint.
If the tank is generating hot water but it can't reasonably keep up with the number of tenants, then the landlord needs to deal with it. You said nothing about it having sufficient capacity as well.

C
Jul 31, 2018
197 posts
73 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: No, you said:

If the tank is generating hot water but it can't reasonably keep up with the number of tenants, then the landlord needs to deal with it. You said nothing about it having sufficient capacity as well.

C
Well I wrote that in my previous post so whats your point?
Banned
Apr 15, 2021
33 posts
21 upvotes
maxineli wrote: I beg to differ. It might suck for the tenant, but no loss to the landlord. If tenant make complain to LTB, landlord will just be forced to upgrade the water tank then. That is IF the tenant decide to go through the trouble to complain. Most often than not, tenant likely will move out on their own to avoid frustration and trouble.
If you ignore tenant complaints until it gets to the LTB you are in for a world of hurt.
Jul 31, 2018
197 posts
73 upvotes
YoungStonerLife wrote: If you ignore tenant complaints until it gets to the LTB you are in for a world of hurt.
You realize "not enough hot water" is subjective right? Tenant will just have to shower one after another, big deal.
What world of hurt do you speak of? Worst that can happen is LTB looks at how big your water tank is, and conclude whether you should get a bigger tank or not.
Mar 23, 2015
100 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto, ON
maxineli wrote: You realize "not enough hot water" is subjective right? Tenant will just have to shower one after another, big deal.
What world of hurt do you speak of? Worst that can happen is LTB looks at how big your water tank is, and conclude whether you should get a bigger tank or not.
And what if the tenant applies for and receives a rent reduction based on the fact that the landlord is not supplying a legally required feature of the unit?
Jul 31, 2018
197 posts
73 upvotes
pizzaclown wrote: And what if the tenant applies for and receives a rent reduction based on the fact that the landlord is not supplying a legally required feature of the unit?
OP never said he didn't supply hot water.
Mar 23, 2015
100 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto, ON
maxineli wrote: OP never said he didn't supply hot water.
If you supply heat to a unit but the heat is set to 9 degrees, you're in violation of the law. What's the difference between that and serving someone an inadequate supply of hot water?