• Jan 24th, 2023 9:44 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4324 posts
3848 upvotes

Renters referring to the property as 'My Home'

I noticed a lot of renters in Canada, especially the ones facing eviction always refer to their rented property as "my home".

I have lived here 23 years it's "my home".

Please sign the petition as I am being evicted from "my home".

Landlord wants move in their family member into "my home".

Have you seen this anywhere else in the world? I certainly haven't and I lived on 3 continents.

Next time I go to Hertz I'm gonna rent "my car".

Oh....you want your car back? But it's my Beige Toyota.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37666 posts
5414 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yeah people are generally irrational. Even home owners thought it is their home when they have a mortgage and the bank takes away "their home" when they default on their mortgage.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Oct 21, 2008
382 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: Yeah people are generally irrational. Even home owners thought it is their home when they have a mortgage and the bank takes away "their home" when they default on their mortgage.
Strange post, as you refer to them as home owners, so clearly you see and identify a distinction between them and renters. Also, their name is on the deed/title, land registery etc.
But i do see what you're saying overall.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37666 posts
5414 upvotes
Winnipeg
furtado_4real wrote: Strange post, as you refer to them as home owners, so clearly you see and identify a distinction between them and renters. Also, their name is on the deed/title, land registery etc.
But i do see what you're saying overall.
Bank isn't interested in owning RE, the mortgage do generally get paid off so people can be called home owner even though the bank have first claim to the property on the title registration. Renters however have no equity, therefore no skin in the RE game. There is also bright side of been a renter, can move whenever they feel like it.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Oct 21, 2008
382 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: Bank isn't interested in owning RE, the mortgage do generally get paid off so people can be called home owner even though the bank have first claim to the property on the title registration. Renters however have no equity, therefore no skin in the RE game. There is also bright side of been a renter, can move whenever they feel like it.
I think we both agree that there is a distinction between renters and home owners. I think we all know how the systems and processes work. Again, the fact that we make a distinction between the two (as you also did) was my point, and in that choice of verbiage used, specifically, changes the perception around an actual homeowner vs. a renter being "irrational" as you put it.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
1124 posts
715 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Someone's home is literally where they live, not what they own. Wouldn't it sound strange if somebody leaving work says "I'm going to my rental" instead of "I'm going home"? Are renters considered "homeless"?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2021
2141 posts
2709 upvotes
Rural Kanata
Rentoids are just like employees.

Calling it “my office”.

“I am being fired from MY JOB

Employees have no respect for the actual JOB CREATORS. Just like renters have no respect for the landlords anymore. Employees expecting a raise, even when PROFITS ARE DOWN, maybe you should start a company you lazy wagie.

Only self-employed can call it “my job”
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
4724 posts
3821 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
"GIMME MY FAIR SHARE OF YOUR INCOME"

ffs :facepalm: LOL
If you buy vgro for a thousand years Vancouver homes will still be out of reach.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2006
2961 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto ontario
Some feel entitled, partially why I hated being a landlord. When u rent from blockbuster or a library it's pretty clear you don't own it.
"Truth is High, Higher Still is Truthful Living" Guru Nanak
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4267 posts
2588 upvotes
Toronto, ON
JoeBlack23 wrote: Someone's home is literally where they live, not what they own. Wouldn't it sound strange if somebody leaving work says "I'm going to my rental" instead of "I'm going home"? Are renters considered "homeless"?
Yes it would be strange but you're quote is good with "I'm going home" vs "I'm going to MY HOUSE". Where you rent is where you stay, but it does not make it yours.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4672 posts
1930 upvotes
GTA
Home vs. House - two very different things.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3525 posts
1265 upvotes
Ottawa
When we rented, decades ago, our rental was home. Even here in Mexico, with an Airbnb, I call it home, which it is for the present. The OPs rant appears to relate to bad tenants, not the vast majority of decent long- or short-term renters.
Sep 23, 2011
472 posts
747 upvotes
Vaughan
Another troll thread to create division… and yet so many bite.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4022 posts
2509 upvotes
Ottawa
BiegeToyota wrote: I noticed a lot of renters in Canada, especially the ones facing eviction always refer to their rented property as "my home".

I have lived here 23 years it's "my home".

Please sign the petition as I am being evicted from "my home".

Landlord wants move in their family member into "my home".

Have you seen this anywhere else in the world? I certainly haven't and I lived on 3 continents.

Next time I go to Hertz I'm gonna rent "my car".

Oh....you want your car back? But it's my Beige Toyota.
Well Hertz did pay out millions of dollars after people failed to return rental cars on time so they reported them stolen and these people were subsequently pulled over by the police. We know of course that was a trauma to them and they risked death so are owed compensation.
May 28, 2012
12029 posts
4649 upvotes
Saskatoon
Reported for trolling, and it does look like that is the case.