• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2020 5:50 pm
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
181 posts
54 upvotes

Renting a backyard for my dog to play?

Hi everyone,

My dog is reactive to other dogs, so we can't bring him to the dog park and unleash him there.

I am looking for a safe place to unleash him, so he can run around etc...

I am relatively new to Toronto and unfortunately don't know many people here, including people who own a house with a backyard.

It might sound strange, but is there a way to rent a backyard? Not like renting an aribnb for a full night, but just a backyard for a day, an afternoon etc...

Would appreciate any thoughts,

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1061 posts
477 upvotes
GTA
There are some dog parks that are relatively empty at various times of the day. Some usually have different sections to separate large from small breeds. I don’t know where you are located, but in Richmond Hill, by Leslie and 19th, Phyllis Rawlinson Park usually has an empty park with separate areas.

I sometimes let my dog run around in the empty tennis courts to grind down his nails. Just make sure you let your dog relieve him/herself before entering

I use to have a very reactive dog too, bark aggressively at other dogs during walks with lunging and pulling, sometimes at people too, but when we took him to the dog park, he was always outnumbered and outsized (10lb shorkie). He always acted differently at the park or in crowded dog events (woofstock). He wouldn’t be aggressive, he would just stick by my side and mind his own business. If another dog came up to him, he would walk away. If it got into his face, he would do a subtle growl kind of saying go away. When one on one, its all out crazy barking.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
I would just try and find a fenced in field/school yard and visit during times when no one else is there. I’m not sure if this would be considered to be trespassing though, so just check on that if you’re concerned. My friends go to a fenced in school yard that the neighbourhood seems to use as an unofficial leash free area and it works well for them.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11350 posts
7659 upvotes
Edmonton
Our dogs are also “reactive” when on leash. But surprisingly, they’re fine when we take them to our groomer, where they stay in the doggy daycare for the day. They were also fine when we took them to another daycare that was having an open house. So apparently they’re just trying to save us.

So my thought is that you might want to talk to a doggy daycare and see what they say. Maybe you can hang out there for a bit to make sure he’s ok with other dogs when he’s not on the leash.

Don’t think you’ll have too much luck with a backyard rental, but maybe put up some flyers in your local neighborhood. It’s not like you’re going to want to drive 3 hours to get your dog some exercise time anyway...

C
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
181 posts
54 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Our dogs are also “reactive” when on leash. But surprisingly, they’re fine when we take them to our groomer, where they stay in the doggy daycare for the day. They were also fine when we took them to another daycare that was having an open house. So apparently they’re just trying to save us.

So my thought is that you might want to talk to a doggy daycare and see what they say. Maybe you can hang out there for a bit to make sure he’s ok with other dogs when he’s not on the leash.

Don’t think you’ll have too much luck with a backyard rental, but maybe put up some flyers in your local neighborhood. It’s not like you’re going to want to drive 3 hours to get your dog some exercise time anyway...

C
Interesting. We left our dog with a sitter for a week with other dogs.. he was fine. First time I saw him walk, sleep, eat with other dogs.. couldn't believe it. We also think he is trying to protect us; maybe he thinks that's his job, when it's supposed to be the contrary. On walks, he gets absolutely nuts if he sees another dog.

Our dog sitter is experienced, just that he lives far and taking uber back and forth quickly adds to the cost. So we can't do it as much as we would like to.

Thanks everyone for the tips, I will try to look for yards/fields.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
Is he reactive to dogs only when he’s on leash?
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
181 posts
54 upvotes
amz155 wrote: Is he reactive to dogs only when he’s on leash?
Well we haven't really unleashed him near dogs, except at the sitter's place. I know he won't bite any other dogs, I'm more scared of the other dogs' reaction.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
mattnew wrote: Well we haven't really unleashed him near dogs, except at the sitter's place. I know he won't bite any other dogs, I'm more scared of the other dogs' reaction.
Often dogs are reactive while on leash but not while off leash. Just something to consider. A dog park might work for you.
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
181 posts
54 upvotes
amz155 wrote: Often dogs are reactive while on leash but not while off leash. Just something to consider. A dog park might work for you.
Agreed, the problem is that he turns crazy as soon as he sees another dog. Not sure what would happen if I unleash him there, just too much of a risk to try.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
mattnew wrote: Agreed, the problem is that he turns crazy as soon as he sees another dog. Not sure what would happen if I unleash him there, just too much of a risk to try.
Sounds like it would be best to start some desensitization and counterconditiong training. Either on your own or with the help of a good trainer. There's a great FB group called Dog Training Advice and Support...in their Units sections, they have a lot of great information to help guide you in resolving the reactivity. Good luck!
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
181 posts
54 upvotes
amz155 wrote: Sounds like it would be best to start some desensitization and counterconditiong training. Either on your own or with the help of a good trainer. There's a great FB group called Dog Training Advice and Support...in their Units sections, they have a lot of great information to help guide you in resolving the reactivity. Good luck!
Thank you for the recommendations.
Sep 17, 2019
24 posts
7 upvotes
after what tenants pets did to my house
new carpet laid the day before they moved in
2 years later had to replace all carpet and underlay due to animal urine and probably worse
i was out of pocket over $3000 after vcat awarded me $600
and now will not have another investment property
try to look at it from homeowners point
https://www.animalpicturesociety.com/pictures-dogs-1432
Last edited by Bakagan on Aug 23rd, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6382 posts
1204 upvotes
Bakagan wrote: after what tenants pets did to my house
2 years later had to replace all carpet and underlay due to animal urine and probably worse
try to look at it from homeowners point,
How does your experience relate to the OP’s question?
[OP]
Aug 15, 2018
181 posts
54 upvotes
Bakagan wrote: after what tenants pets did to my house
try to look at it from homeowners point,
You must have misunderstood my post. I have no problem renting an apartment with my dog.