Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2009
1297 posts
4 upvotes
Waterloo

Renting question

If I rent a 3 bedroom townhouse for $1300 can I rent out the other two bedrooms? Do I need the owner's permission? Can I have the power to evict the other two tenants since I am the first tenant and therefore ultimately responsible for paying the owner $1300/month? As far as the other two tenants would know, I am the owner.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2008
1053 posts
286 upvotes
Ottawa
You may need the owner's permission to rent out the other rooms, it depends on the terms of your lease. For example, it may state that every occupant over the age of 18 will sign the lease. There may also be limits on the number of occupants allowed in the home. Again, refer to your lease agreement.

As to evicting any other tenants, you have no basis to do so as you are not the landlord. There is a process involved in evicting tenants, you can find out more info on the Landlord and Tenant Board website:

http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/index.html
Dec 18, 2008
949 posts
24 upvotes
I think all 3 names have to be on the lease - you can let the landlord know your plan if you don't have the people lined up already

basically it protects you - if one of the room mates damages or does something and its only your name on the lease you will be held responsible for that persons damages etc

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)