Home & Garden

Renting a top dresser (soil spreader) in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2020 9:55 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1198 posts
68 upvotes

Renting a top dresser (soil spreader) in Canada?

Does anyone have any idea of where I might be able to rent a top dresser in Toronto, Canada? I've been searching on line and calling around but no one seems to know what I'm even talking about. I've found aerators, vacuums, overseeders, dethatchers, etc. but no top dressers.

I know Bannerman manufacturers one here in Toronto (http://sportsturfmagic.com/ProductPages/minitopper.html) but it goes for about $1,000 and I don't want to buy one; I'd rather just rent one when I need it as I don't have too much storage space.

My lawn is about 4,500 sq. ft. and the gate to my back yard is 27" wide so I'm not looking to rent a huge industrial model.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1110 posts
78 upvotes
Ajax
The homeowner topdressing market is very small, and as a result, nobody rents them.
The company I work for receives several calls a year requesting this rental, but our equipment is way overkill, and won't fit through most gates.
You aren't the only one asking

Bannerman is a reputable manufacturer (we sell them too), and while it is an expensive upfront cost, you can always sell it down the road for close to what you paid for it.

I know this is not helpful in your search, but I just thought I would give some commentary.

-Logan
Oh boy, Buffalo testicles!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1198 posts
68 upvotes
Thanks, I had a feeling that might be the case. Storage is my main issue. I don't really have anywhere to put it when I'm not using it.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1328 posts
1406 upvotes
West GTA
Honestly I have heard that topdressing is picking up a bit of steam as a service - it's certainly getting more attention in the US, and Canada typically follows close behind. If you can't find a solution this year, then you might find one next year. Your issue might be the 27 inch wide gate. A lot of topdressing tools need wider.

It should pick up steam, it really improves lawns (and gardens!)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1198 posts
68 upvotes
grumble wrote: Honestly I have heard that topdressing is picking up a bit of steam as a service - it's certainly getting more attention in the US, and Canada typically follows close behind. If you can't find a solution this year, then you might find one next year. Your issue might be the 27 inch wide gate. A lot of topdressing tools need wider.

It should pick up steam, it really improves lawns (and gardens!)
I've been thinking of calling around to some lawn care places. I've always put top soil down by hand but it's so time consuming. I've seen a few 20 - 24" top dressers but the problem is I don't want to buy them, just rent one.
May 31, 2017
304 posts
83 upvotes
If you do find a place that rents them out, please share the info.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1198 posts
68 upvotes
breads wrote: If you do find a place that rents them out, please share the info.
Will do. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1198 posts
68 upvotes
Yeah, that's an over seeder. It won't work with soil.
May 31, 2017
304 posts
83 upvotes
JohnEnglish wrote: No :(
If you lived in the KW area, I'd have offered to split the purchase price, and could've stored it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1198 posts
68 upvotes
breads wrote: If you lived in the KW area, I'd have offered to split the purchase price, and could've stored it.
That’s very kind of you to offer. Unfortunately, I’m way down in Toronto.
cliff wrote: There are what looks to be a couple options at Salisbury in Caledon - might be worth a call

http://www.salisburygardensupplies.ca/price.html
Thanks, I’m going to give them a call and find out what the dimensions are and what the delivery charge is for Toronto. Might as well ask them about soil delivery too.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1198 posts
68 upvotes
cliff wrote: There are what looks to be a couple options at Salisbury in Caledon - might be worth a call

http://www.salisburygardensupplies.ca/price.html
Well I called them and they said it’s only 12” wide which makes no sense as the one they show on their website is the Bannerman mini topper and that’s 35” wide. I also got a good laugh out of them when I asked if they delivered to Toronto. Their website says all of the GTA. They said they do the GTA including areas east of Toronto but “we don’t deal with Toronto”.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5995 posts
671 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
hey buddy, find anything like this for rent? I don't want to shell out the $1000+ to purchase and store this thing, I need to use it to revitalize my lawn personally and I have a decent size of lawn to do it with.
--
Aug 8, 2020
1 posts
Just finished a 2750sqft lawn reno and spread 12 bags of peat moss by hand - would really have liked to have one of these. Also handy for yearly sand top dressing. I might buy one if I can get enough interested renters.