[Reolink] [Black Friday] RLK8-520D4 8CH 5MP PoE Security Camera System $384.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2021 12:00 am
[OP]
Sep 18, 2007
166 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto

[Black Friday] [Reolink] [Black Friday] RLK8-520D4 8CH 5MP PoE Security Camera System $384.99

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
30%
Retailer:
Reolink
Been watching this for a while. Have bought a couple Reolink cameras in the past and they work well. Just moved to a larger house and have been looking for a NVR solution. Seems like a good price.
Last edited by dsforsaken on Nov 25th, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Koodo $40/11GB (6GB + 5GB Bonus)
15 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4346 posts
4587 upvotes
If you're planning to buy these to for home security - think again. They are practically useless at preventing home theft. Thieves do not care if you have security cameras at home. In fact, they assume that you already do before they enter your home, that's why their faces are usually covered up.

From personal experience, my relative's got robbed of over one million dollars worth of luxury goods at their home, twice over a period of 6 months. They had a monitored home security alarm system installed, monitored by a home security company.

Thieves didn't care, came and left within minutes after the alarm went off.

The only people advocating for home security systems are the home security industry. Go figure!

https://www.sscqueens.org/projects/scan/faqs#one
Last edited by AsianXL on Nov 25th, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 14, 2018
9 posts
7 upvotes
It shows $384.99 to me. Am i missing anything?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2016
1744 posts
1227 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: If you're planning to buy these to for home security - think again. They are practically useless at preventing home theft. Thieves do not care if you have security cameras at home. In fact, they assume that you already do before they enter your home, that's why their faces are usually covered up.

From personal experience, my relative's got robbed of over one million dollars worth of luxury goods at their home, twice over a period of 6 months. They had a monitored home security alarm system installed, monitored by a home security company.

The only people advocating for home security systems are the home security industry. Go figure!

If they had a million dollars worth of luxury goods in their home that was ready to be stolen in minutes, it was definitely someone that has been there before.

If it's mostly jewelry and they don't have a hidden safe, then that's a major failure of their security. Cameras alone aren't good enough but they are an effective deterrent. Regular criminals in the suburbs will be deterred, pros won't. I don't think people on RFD have millions of dollars worth of luxury goods in their homes so they shouldn't be worrying about professional burglars.
Mar 22, 2021
248 posts
620 upvotes
AsianXL wrote: If you're planning to buy these to for home security - think again. They are practically useless at preventing home theft. Thieves do not care if you have security cameras at home. In fact, they assume that you already do before they enter your home, that's why their faces are usually covered up.

might as well not lock your door when you go out
Aug 1, 2020
210 posts
211 upvotes
Durham, ON
OP how exactly did you see $198 for this? Your link leads to $384 like others are saying.
[OP]
Sep 18, 2007
166 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry, I thought that field in the post was the amount saved Face With Tears Of Joy. All fixed
[OP]
Sep 18, 2007
166 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto
performance wrote: any reason why this is superior over wyze cam v3?
Wyze depends on the cloud, sure you can use an SD card, but if someone takes the camera you don't have that either. Different price points for different features. I like having a central location where all my feeds are stored and also not having to depend on a cloud.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
2331 posts
597 upvotes

Security cameras are a deterrent. You see them in condos, work buildings, malls, etc... Lots of people are identified and arrested due to being captured on video. Without the cameras, there would be a lot more thefts (and violent crimes) in society.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2971 posts
1620 upvotes
B.C.

Security cameras - like car dash cams are essential IMO. Cops out here won't even come by if you don't have camera footage.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2566 posts
1751 upvotes
The Reolink NVRs work with Reolink security cameras ONLY.
385$ isn't a bad price especially for cameras that record 5MP @30Hz

I bought some bootleg Hikvisions on aliexpress for 60$ a piece.
They do 5MP (2592x1944) @ 15 fps but have color night vision.

Installed NVR software on my NAS and bought an EOL Cisco POE switch for 25$.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2801 posts
4756 upvotes
Atlantic

You ever hear the quote: Locks keep honest people honest?

Same applies to security cameras.

You are using locks and security cameras to deter and prevent crimes of opportunity.

A high end security camera system will always be useless against thieves that have made up their minds and preplanned the theft. All they have to do is wear a balaclava and break the lock or door.
Last edited by EasyCompany251 on Nov 25th, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3079 posts
3039 upvotes

I don't understand this logic. You could make this argument about almost any form of home security. What do you suggest instead?
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1408 posts
777 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: I don't understand this logic. You could make this argument about almost any form of home security. What do you suggest instead?
Secure your house home alone style

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)