34 posts
48 upvotes

Reolink RLC-822A POE 8MB 4K 16/9 3X Optical Zoom is finally available

Deal Link:
Price:
$ 129.99
Retailer:
Reolink
This is a new model (about 6 months) and I've been trying to buy this camera since 3 months but the only option was "notify when ready".

Not many had the chance to review the prototypes sent to them...

It's a 8MP 4K 16/9 Smiling Face With Open Mouth camera that is not only compatible with their NVR but also my Asustor NAS, Blue Iris etc.

We don't see how many there's left but they had 39 this week-end.

Considering what you get for this price, this is a deal even if not on special.

A quick overview of the Reolink RLC-822A specs:

Person/Vehicle Detection
3X Optical Zoom
Image Sensor : 1/2.8″ CMOS Sensor
Lens: f=2.8-8mm, F=1.6, with IR cut
Field of View
Horizontal: 94°-50°
Vertical: 53°-30°

Video Resolution: Default: 3840X2160 (8.0 Megapixels) at 25 frames/sec
Video Format: H.265
Day & Night: IR-cut filter with auto-switching
PoE: IEEE 802.3af, 48V Active
DC Power: DC 12.0V⎓1A, <12W
Ethernet: One 10M/100Mbps RJ45
Audio: Built-in microphone
Storage: Micro SD card slot (Max. 256 GB)

Free shipping

Review: https://mightygadget.co.uk/reolink-rlc-822a-review/

31 replies
Jul 27, 2014
660 posts
449 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I have some of their 1440p cameras and am very happy. I got a 4 camera kit with an NVR for under $400 and it works great. The web interface could use some improvement but I heard there is a firmware update for an html 5 viewer that is supposed to help with that. They have already come in handy on more than one occasion.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3103 posts
1110 upvotes
Ottawa
Just a FYI for people about reolink when I tried their 5MP cameras - day time quality is ok, but live viewing lag was around 6 seconds. Nighttime quality is abysmal, I kept getting motion blur, making it next to impossible to identify anything that happens at night.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4680 posts
2083 upvotes
GTA
I'm waiting for the RLC-811A with 5x zoom, i have the rlc-810a and the quality is damn good, just need one with a loooong zoom.
duhastvielgeweint wrote: What's the difference vs the 820A which seems to be on sale?
The 3x optical zoom.
Akitakara wrote: Just a FYI for people about reolink when I tried their 5MP cameras - day time quality is ok, but live viewing lag was around 6 seconds. Nighttime quality is abysmal, I kept getting motion blur, making it next to impossible to identify anything that happens at night.
Which camera's are good at night time? I've seen the swann 4k and qsee 1440p and they all suffer at night.
Dec 19, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
I have 6 of the 522's running sighthound software and have been really happy with them. Contemplating upgrading the ones at the front of the house. Hoping for some feedback on difference in quality. Cameras have been great though, recommend the brand.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1581 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
How do you record videos? locally onto storage device like external drive?

Does it record continuously?
Mar 5, 2005
522 posts
314 upvotes
i use contacam to record locally and love it - and its free. you can also donate to remove the watermark
Dec 9, 2009
225 posts
71 upvotes
Can any of 810 be simply accessed/managed via app on mobile phone without the need of NVR?
Dec 19, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
mike_dera wrote: Can any of 810 be simply accessed/managed via app on mobile phone without the need of NVR?
If you are just live viewing then yes. Via the reolink app.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
3177 posts
347 upvotes
How do these compare to hikvision cameras?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2766 posts
2379 upvotes
crimsondr wrote: How do these compare to hikvision cameras?
Hikvision makes about 1000 different models so you'll have to be a lot more specific
Dec 9, 2009
225 posts
71 upvotes
wakeboarder1 wrote: If you are just live viewing then yes. Via the reolink app.
Does the app not allow recording on phone or any SD card on camera itself?

Should I just buy/test drive one bullet cam loke 510 etc with PoE and use the app on phone.
May 15, 2011
525 posts
87 upvotes
Canada
mike_dera wrote: Does the app not allow recording on phone or any SD card on camera itself?

Should I just buy/test drive one bullet cam loke 510 etc with PoE and use the app on phone.
The app can record on your phone as well as to the SD card installed on the camera triggered by motion or manually.
Dec 19, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
mike_dera wrote: Does the app not allow recording on phone or any SD card on camera itself?

Sorry yes SD card on camera. App has playback section. I can't really comment on functionality of that since I've always used 3rd party desktop software.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8336 posts
705 upvotes
Scarborough
crimsondr wrote: How do these compare to hikvision cameras?
I will take Hikvision any day. Yes, you have many models to choose from. I usually pick the ones still have ongoing firmware support.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2766 posts
2379 upvotes
Elecpro wrote: This is a new model (about 6 months) and I've been trying to buy this camera since 3 months but the only option was "notify when ready".

Not many had the chance to review the prototypes sent to them...

It's a 8MP 4K 16/9 Smiling Face With Open Mouth camera that is not only compatible with their NVR but also my Asustor NAS, Blue Iris etc.

We don't see how many there's left but they had 39 this week-end.

Considering what you get for this price, this is a deal even if not on special.

A quick overview of the Reolink RLC-822A specs:

Person/Vehicle Detection
3X Optical Zoom
Image Sensor : 1/2.8″ CMOS Sensor
Lens: f=2.8-8mm, F=1.6, with IR cut
Field of View
Horizontal: 94°-50°
Vertical: 53°-30°

Video Resolution: Default: 3840X2160 (8.0 Megapixels) at 25 frames/sec
Video Format: H.265
Day & Night: IR-cut filter with auto-switching
PoE: IEEE 802.3af, 48V Active
DC Power: DC 12.0V⎓1A, <12W
Ethernet: One 10M/100Mbps RJ45
Audio: Built-in microphone
Storage: Micro SD card slot (Max. 256 GB)

Free shipping

Review: https://mightygadget.co.uk/reolink-rlc-822a-review/

The specs listed aren't remarkable in any way. No mention of what sensor it uses. No mention of low-light performance/sensitivity. The the review video isn't at all helpful because
1) it is during daytime (so there's plenty of available light hitting the sensor so the camera doesn't have to decrease shutter speed i.e. we have no idea how sensitive the sensor is)
2) it is not during bright sunlight (so everything is uniformly lit, there's no peak bright spots, these kinds of scenes are the easiest for the sensor to expose, not stressing it at all)
3) youtube re-encodes video with its own compression so its pretty hard to judge detail (resolution isn't really important anyway, it's more of a marketing thing -- some 2MP Dahua cameras will outperform this 8MP Reolink anyday)

I've tried several Reolink cameras from amazon.ca and they have all been very average in performance. They're usually initially priced around $100-150 but sometimes go on lightning sale for $40-$60. They're "ok" at the $40-$60 pricepoint, but definitely overpriced at $100-$150

My general advice is to look for the Sony Starvis sensor. Sometimes it is also branded as "Starlight" or "Dark vision" or "colour nightvision" (though be careful with the last one, it is a generic term and lots of brands slap it anything as just a moneygrab)
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
1955 posts
291 upvotes
Vancouver
Finally, 4K option from Reolink that is ONVIF compatible!!! The 820-A is not ONVIF compatible. That is great news for the 822-A. I hope they improved the mounting system so that it is more robust and where a person can't just twist it and take the whole camera :rolleyes:

Thanks for the great post OP.
Images
  • 822-a.PNG
Apr 23, 2016
514 posts
553 upvotes
Kelowna
I'm curious how good the improved human/vehicle motion detection is. That's my biggest gripe with reolink - motion detection is abysmal. So bad it's a worthless feature on the system, completely unusable.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3258 posts
1000 upvotes
BC
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Hikvision makes about 1000 different models so you'll have to be a lot more specific
hikvision software is crap in comparison IMO.