Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18620 posts
2350 upvotes
Woodbridge

Repainting Vehicle Completely

Any RFD got their vehicle repainted completely or know anyone? Cheap or expensive. Looking for some feedback.

I understand you get what you pay for. I also don't wanna spend too much. So is $2,000 OTR realistic for a great paint job.

I read that Body Work is what increases the cost. Is door dings and stone chips play a factor?

No, I don't wanna wrap especially if the difference isn't that much. I plan to keep her a long time so I doubt trade-in value will matter.

My CivicX is white. Thinking green, yellow or orange in this order.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
57 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1118 posts
487 upvotes
York Region
I paid just over $2000 for a complete respray 20 years ago. Same colour with minimal body work at a decent shop. The job was ok, not perfect.
Lots of more work involved with a colour change since you need to paint the door jambs, trunk, maybe interior and engine bay depending on how far you want to go with the colour change.
Jan 4, 2019
458 posts
465 upvotes
$2000 for a full repaint does not seem realistic. A thing to keep in mind, although price can be a guide you really need to look into long term reviews and pay close attention to reviews by detailers and car enthusiast. I've seen terrible paint jobs typical people called amazing. I didn't have the heart to point out all the mistakes that were staring me in the face.

It also could look great now and peel in a year. They have warranty? Cool...but will they warranty it without hassle and do a good job?

On the extreme side, my buddy has a repaint through insurance. It was around $4000 and wasn't even a full body job. They messed up so badly it had to be redone several times and eventually at another shop. He had a rental for about 3 months while this was done. Extremely frustrating.

A lot can go wrong with paint. Especially a full body job.

Ask yourself, why? What's your goal? Is the risk worth it? If your budget is $2000 or that's your ideal amount is nip this want in the butt quickly.
Aug 5, 2018
137 posts
153 upvotes
For $2k you will not get "great". A colour change is a big task when you consider all the crevices, engine bay, etc. You are probably looking in the area of $5k+. The wrap would be the economical approach.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15064 posts
2645 upvotes
$2000 ~ Hood and 2 doors

Good luck.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2632 posts
1879 upvotes
Markham
I wouldn't go for a full repaint unless you're 100% certain of two things, you won't change the colour back and you found an excellent painter. There are a lot of body shops around but for me a lot of them are disappointing and some are downright bad. If you find a body shop with an excellent painter that's the keeper. You will need a discerning eye to catch those flaws to tell things like over spray, fish eyes, orange peel, dull finishes and heck sometimes wrong colour.

The budget I think is too low if you want a very good job. There's nothing worse than getting the car actually painted, the job wasn't well done and when its time to sell...it further kills the value of the car.

Alternatives to fully painting, wrapping is one route and the less expensive route is plasti dip. If you want to change the colour of the car quickly and cheaply its probably plasti dip. Both are not permanent and should you decide to ever sell this car, take the wrap or plasti dip off and you got a stock colour car to sell.
Feb 12, 2006
788 posts
330 upvotes
Have you considered wrapping ?

Much cheaper alternative if you don’t plan on keeping the car long term.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2812 posts
1049 upvotes
Iirc, the going rate right now is about $5-600/panel for paint.

Usually a fully respray is around $4-5k for a decent job. For amazing quality and a full color change, it can be double.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28787 posts
9257 upvotes
LOL $2k for a whole car + colour change in 2020. As one other guy said, yeah...maybe 20 years ago lol. If you want Maaco type paint job then sure. But unless your paint is in really bad condition for some reason already, a $2k job is going to be much, much worse than the paint on there now.

Here's some advice on cheap paint jobs (note that stuff is cheaper in US because you won't even get Maaco paint jobs as cheap as he's talking about in Canada):
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15064 posts
2645 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL $2k for a whole car + colour change in 2020. As one other guy said, yeah...maybe 20 years ago lol. If you want Maaco type paint job then sure. But unless your paint is in really bad condition for some reason already, a $2k job is going to be much, much worse than the paint on there now.

Here's some advice on cheap paint jobs (note that stuff is cheaper in US because you won't even get Maaco paint jobs as cheap as he's talking about in Canada):
A while back I remember reading this comment from someone who went through one of these "Cheap Express Paint -$799 Special" places and instead of sanding the car down they just prepped it by washing it in gasoline. Cheapest primer and one coat of cheap paint. Voila.
The paint started flaking and peeling about two months later. :lol:
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1286 posts
1544 upvotes
Barrie, ON
2k won't even get you a Maaco paint job..
Jun 11, 2015
442 posts
437 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Don't do it.

Repaints in the $4k range will still look worse than factory.

I'd suggest plastidip.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18620 posts
2350 upvotes
Woodbridge
Thanks. I would call around but not the right time. Quick Google says AUTO MAGICIANS in Mississauga.

I know about Maaco. LOL I guess great for $2k was a mistake.

I looked at Vinyl wrap a few years ago and was quoted in Thousands.

The CivicX is available in green but only in a coupe and I wanted a hatchback.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4093 posts
4222 upvotes
GTA
Anyone who's worked in an auto factory, or even watched one of those restoration shows on tv knows what a good, OEM quality paintjob takes.

You can probably get a half-assed job done for $5k. But a proper job is going to be like $20k.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6359 posts
4977 upvotes
bembol wrote: I looked at Vinyl wrap a few years ago and was quoted in Thousands. .
A 1/2 ass paint job is permanent.

A full ass wrap job is not.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11280 posts
3027 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Full car paint jobs start at $4,000 for something lower quality. If you want it done properly where they remove all the rubbers around the car and so on its going to be around $6,000
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36156 posts
10273 upvotes
Ottawa
eldiablo wrote: A while back I remember reading this comment from someone who went through one of these "Cheap Express Paint -$799 Special" places and instead of sanding the car down they just prepped it by washing it in gasoline. Cheapest primer and one coat of cheap paint. Voila.
The paint started flaking and peeling about two months later. :lol:
I have done a couple cars at MAACO.
Thing is, hey do an i and out job in one day so, you get what you pay for. I was not expecting a show car finish and the car was old. I only wanted the paint to look good for a couple years.

MAACO does not wash with gasoline? That is stupid and anyone saying that knows very little about cars and gas let alone painting. Gas leaves an oily surface.. Anyway, MAACO does a mild acid wash on the car to get rid of any old waxes, contaminates and etches the surface.
What I learned form the first car I got done is to take off everything that you can, mirrors, any removable chrome pieces etc. MAACO will only tape over them if left on. Sand out any bigger chips with a fine paper, feather the edges the best you can as they will not do it and just paint over them. If you do have dents or body damage, try and fix it or get them to fix it (for extra of course). Even prime some areas yourself. Oh and, they do not use primer, just a straight paint (cannot expect primer to dry and then the paint to dry all in one day).

Change of colour will cost a lot more no matter where you get it done because of the amount of cleaning, sanding, etching and taping.

Hint, go to MAACO and get an estimate, don't let them upsell you. Tell them you will think about it. They will call you and pester you and will reduce the price to get you to come in. They can only survive and make money by having a full shop and production line.

Be aware, you get what you pay for. They do not use quality paints or products but, if you want something to last a few years and then still looks OK to sell your vehicle, it is a very valid option.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Jan 8, 2015
384 posts
327 upvotes
Mississauga
Trust me just wrap your car. A full respray in a different color is not feasible unless the whole car is stripped. That will cost a lot and even more time to finish.
Reputable shops charged $2K before the pandemic for a wrap.
Im sure you can use this to your advantage to get an even better deal.
Apr 8, 2010
780 posts
431 upvotes
toronto
as pete said, do most of the prep work yourself if you can. take everything off and get the car ready for them to paint it without having to much prep. remember, you'll be paying them to take off stuff off or have to tape around it. Get it towed to the shop on a flat bed if need be.

but then agan, if you have the space in the garage, and got time on your hands, cost of getting a good sprayer with a compressor might be worth it?