Cell Phones

Repair cracked screen at Samsung Experience - Catch?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2018 10:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1613 posts
294 upvotes

Repair cracked screen at Samsung Experience - Catch?

Got some price quotes for a cracked S7 screen and was surprised that the quote I got from the Samsung Experience store was lower than one of the mall kiosks:

Mobile Klinik quoted $219+tx with lifetime warranty
Samsung Experience: $170+tx, 90 day warranty

Both said they use genuine Samsung parts.

After having read on various forums that the cost from Samsung would be crazy expensive ($320+), I was pleasantly surprised at the Samsung quote but a little cautious at the same time as to why it might be lower than expected.

Has anyone ever had work done at Samsung Experience store? Is there anything I should be concened about because of the price?

While im also on the lookosut for alternatives, I really like this phone so I'd like to hold onto it for a little longer
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1997 posts
810 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
bobor wrote: Got some price quotes for a cracked S7 screen and was surprised that the quote I got from the Samsung Experience store was lower than one of the mall kiosks:

Mobile Klinik quoted $219+tx with lifetime warranty
Samsung Experience: $170+tx, 90 day warranty

Both said they use genuine Samsung parts.

After having read on various forums that the cost from Samsung would be crazy expensive ($320+), I was pleasantly surprised at the Samsung quote but a little cautious at the same time as to why it might be lower than expected.

Has anyone ever had work done at Samsung Experience store? Is there anything I should be concened about because of the price?

While im also on the lookosut for alternatives, I really like this phone so I'd like to hold onto it for a little longer
You could order the parts and do it yourself. If you are paying someone to do it, there are people on Kijiji which will do it for about $100. I had an iPod Touch 4 my son broke the screen on four times. The first time I did the replacement on it. That never worked well. The next time I paid for the replacement. The person who did the repair did an excellent job and even told me what I did wrong, should I need to repair another screen. I had him repair the IPod Touch one more time, then the final time I never did repair it.

One thing I learned though is in most cases the Chinese replacement parts are not the same quality as the original. They break much easier, and sometimes do not use quite the full screen... So it is worth paying more for those geniune parts. I had a Samsung phone than I accidentally dropped in a bathtub. I just used the cheapest screen I could order online when repairing it, because I wasn't certain it would work even with the replacement screen. That one has been working well, and has been dropped multiple times by my son. So you can get lucky with non-certified parts...

Overall I found it a bit easier to repair the Samsung product, but in either case the biggest challenge is seeing exactly what you are doing and keeping your hands steady. I've had a constant shake ever since I had Lyme decease about 10 years ago, and I need to use reading glasses. So it is probably more challenging for me than most people. If you have the proper tools, the only thing additional required is patients, to keep retrying each time you try to connect those ribbon cables and such.

It seems to me it is worth paying extra for a lifetime warranty, if and only if that warranty includes future accidental breakage. It seems unlikely a repair that works for 90 days would suddenly stop working later, without an external cause.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1158 posts
617 upvotes
Toronto
When I needed my s8 screen repaired the Samsung store (sherway gardens location) will take your phone for a few days/weeks to get it repaired. They ship it somewhere else to get the work done. You wont get a loaner.

I ended up going to Mobile Klinik @ Vaughn mills mall to get it done. They did it on the spot with genuine parts and its been working like new for the past 6 months.

All my work was done under warranty so there was no cost to me
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4177 posts
744 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have experience getting a battery replaced at one of the Samsung stores? I have an S7 and a battery-monitoring app says I have 80% "life" in it (nominally 3000 mAh battery is holding only 2400 mAh).

I had a bad DIY experience with a third-party replacement battery for a Samsung tablet (not the DIY part but the third-party part) so I'd prefer to go with someone who has access to a genuine part.
Sep 27, 2003
10507 posts
2919 upvotes
Newmarket
submarine wrote: When I needed my s8 screen repaired the Samsung store (sherway gardens location) will take your phone for a few days/weeks to get it repaired. They ship it somewhere else to get the work done. You wont get a loaner.

I ended up going to Mobile Klinik @ Vaughn mills mall to get it done. They did it on the spot with genuine parts and its been working like new for the past 6 months.

Mobile Klinik does warranty work for Samsung?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2009
1158 posts
617 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote: Mobile Klinik does warranty work for Samsung?
yep. i had to call samsung several times to find an authorized repair center that did repairs on the spot and they were the only one near me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1613 posts
294 upvotes
submarine wrote: When I needed my s8 screen repaired the Samsung store (sherway gardens location) will take your phone for a few days/weeks to get it repaired. They ship it somewhere else to get the work done. You wont get a loaner.

Maybe the Eaton’s centre is different. They told me that to would take only 90 minutes or so.

Did you have to back up your phone? Did it come back with everything erased?
Sep 27, 2003
10507 posts
2919 upvotes
Newmarket
submarine wrote: yep. i had to call samsung several times to find an authorized repair center that did repairs on the spot and they were the only one near me.
That's great news. I've been referring clients to the Samsung Repair Depots but they're not convenient for everyone. Lots of Mobile Kliniks though.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1354 posts
244 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
The Samsung store will likely send you phone to the repair/warranty center in Toronto, which does good work. I've used the one in Surrey (Vancouver), and they do terrible work.