Automotive

Repairing Deep Scratch on hood of Brand New Corolla(pics)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2018 5:29 pm
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
59 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Repairing Deep Scratch on hood of Brand New Corolla(pics)

I just bought a new Toyota Corolla 3 months car and went grocery shopping. Came back to find my car badly damaged when left in the parking lot for just an hour. Really gutted that somebody would damage a car so badly
and flee the scene like nothing happened. This is a brand new car. I'm not sure how the car was damaged as the there are deep scratches just on the hood of the car and nothing near the front end
Could this be from a pickup truck or something or shopping trolley? Does anyone have any idea what this would cost to repair in York region? The scratches seem deep enough as this would require a professional.
Its a new car and really scared of how much it is going to depreciate as these are highly noticeable scratches. I could barely afford the car to begin with and this happensGrinning Face With Smiling Eyes I'm baffled that somebody actually backed their car right across the aisle and into the hood of someone else's car as I wasn't parked behind another car. Unless there is another cause for the damage and have no idea what it is?
Pics are attached. Any advice greatly appreciated
thanks
Images
  • car scratch 006.JPG
  • car scratch 008.JPG
  • car scratch 009.JPG
Last edited by anna33 on Aug 9th, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26 replies
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
59 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Pics are attached now. thanks
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28091 posts
13306 upvotes
Toronto
that looks like a pickup truck backed right onto your car thus hitting/denting your hood.

You may want to file for insurance. That is easily $1000 if paying out of pocket.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13687 posts
8697 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
OUCH!
Not even sure if that hood can be repaired properly, probably be cheaper to get a new hood.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
59 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm scared this would affect my insurance rate wouldn't it?
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
59 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I couldn't tell from the link you posted. How much would a new cost me to replace hood as this a 2018 car?
Is it hard to see when when driving a pickup truck? How do people get into accidents in parking lots this is really beyond me. I'm gutted and bewildered by this entire experience.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28091 posts
13306 upvotes
Toronto
you are kind of stuck between choosing to file a claim which could impact your future premium vs you can barely afford this car and yet have to find funds to pay for the repairs out of pocket.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5229 posts
2807 upvotes
Toronto
anna33 wrote: I'm scared this would affect my insurance rate wouldn't it?
If you put a claim through, it will effect few things like your future premium. You will be charged comprehensive deductable so check how much it is before calling. No point if your deductable is $1000 and the repair bill is $1100. Get an estimate also as if you can find some place that can fix it for $300(work quality can vary so be warned) why take the risk of going to insurance. Some insurance do have hit and run deductable waiver so inquire and hang up as if you put a claim or motion of an accident, they will record it and there will be 1 at fault minor accident for 3 to 6 years on your profile regardless you use insurance to fix it or changed your mind.
Last edited by peteryorkuca on Aug 9th, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28091 posts
13306 upvotes
Toronto
anna33 wrote: I couldn't tell from the link you posted. How much would a new cost me to replace hood as this a 2018 car?
Is it hard to see when when driving a pickup truck? How do people get into accidents in parking lots this is really beyond me. I'm gutted and bewildered by this entire experience.
Richmond Hill/Markham are full of clueless and irresponsible drivers.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13687 posts
8697 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
The area that you were parked, does it have cameras?
You can try auto junkyard and see if they have the same hood there. Or just bring the car to a repair shop have then sand it, paint it so it won't rust......that line dent will still be there though.
anna33 wrote: I couldn't tell from the link you posted. How much would a new cost me to replace hood as this a 2018 car?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
59 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond Hill
booblehead wrote: you are kind of stuck between choosing to file a claim which could impact your future premium vs you can barely afford this car and yet have to find funds to pay for the repairs out of pocket.
That is correct. I'm a senior on fixed budget so this is a tough one. Does anyone have any idea what appoximate costs are to replace the hood in Toronto? When I look up things online they only lead me mostly to American sites.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13502 posts
7622 upvotes
Toronto
the link to the aftermarket hood was $75 USD. It would still need to be primed and painted on both sides then fitted.

An OEM one was $400 USD

Shipping was also $400.

I would estimate $1000-1500 to either repair the existing hood or get a new aftermarket one painted.

If you claim insurance, it would be a hit and run claim which falls under collision, with no third party info, you would have to pay your deductible.

https://www.insurancehotline.com/how-to ... t-and-run/

Your rates won't increase as a result of this.

Check your policy, if your deductible is $1000 it's not worth claiming.

Make a police report, try to get a witness or video first, then decide if you want to claim.

If you do, then call your insurance company.

Good luck OP
peteryorkuca wrote: If you put a claim through, it will effect few things like your future premium. You will be charged comprehensive deductable so check how much it is before calling. No point if your deductable is $1000 and the repair bill is $1100. Get an estimate also as if you can find some place that can fix it for $300(work quality can vary so be warned) why take the risk of going to insurance. Some insurance do have hit and run deductable waiver so inquire and hang up as if you put a claim or motion of an accident, they will record it and there will be 1 at fault minor accident for 3 to 6 years on your profile regardless you use insurance to fix it or changed your mind.
this is completely false.
Last edited by Swerny on Aug 9th, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5229 posts
2807 upvotes
Toronto
anna33 wrote: That is correct. I'm a senior on fixed budget so this is a tough one. Does anyone have any idea what appoximate costs are to replace the hood in Toronto? When I look up things online they only lead me mostly to American sites.
Going by rockauto pricing, the cheapest is U$75 + delivery around U$300. Plus tax and duty which will come out to U$400. Covert that to cad, you are looking at CAD$520 to your house. You bring to a paint shop, it will cost you around $500 for good quality paint job.

So it will cost you anywhere about $1000 get the replaced with new. But do check how much it will cost to fix it and repaint.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
59 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Cheapo-Findo wrote: I have a 2018 Toyota Corolla in Slate Grey Metallic.
There were no witnesses to it. I walked to the rear of my car and packed my groceries in the boot and only noticed the horrendous scratch when taking groceries into the house. Gave me a real shock.
Would it be useless to take the car back to my dealership to see the prices of getting a new hood? I'm nervous about rust as winter will be around soon....
Cheapo-Findo---I have no idea who OEM is? My car knowledge is quite limited
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toy ... ,hood,1396

If that's your car, hood starts from 96 bucks, if you want OEM it'll be higher. Painting will roughly cost $500.....so you're looking roughly around $800 including labour.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13502 posts
7622 upvotes
Toronto
OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Meaning it's identical to what's on your car now.

I think it will be far easier to just get your existing hood repaired at a reputable body shop, either through insurance or out of pocket
Dec 19, 2015
902 posts
480 upvotes
Calgary, AB
peteryorkuca wrote: If you put a claim through, it will effect few things like your future premium. You will be charged comprehensive deductable so check how much it is before calling. No point if your deductable is $1000 and the repair bill is $1100. Get an estimate also as if you can find some place that can fix it for $300(work quality can vary so be warned) why take the risk of going to insurance. Some insurance do have hit and run deductable waiver so inquire and hang up as if you put a claim or motion of an accident, they will record it and there will be 1 at fault minor accident for 3 to 6 years on your profile regardless you use insurance to fix it or changed your mind.
It's a hit and run, not an at fault claim.

It could be a pickup, but it would have to be lifted to get that far in without hitting anything, otherwise it could be a commercial truck of some sort.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
59 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond Hill
]I didn't report it within 24 hours and not sure if that makes a difference. This happened 2 days ago. Your right Andy there is no damage anywhere else expect as shown in the pictures. I Just guessed a pickup but after looking at pics of pickups more closely-- realize this car is quite high up to do this sort of damage. If I was to order a hood online...Where would I take it to have it painted and placed on car? I have no idea how any of this works? A regular body shop place or something more specific? I'm in the Richmond Hill/Vaughan area.
Andy34 wrote:

It's a hit and run, not an at fault claim.

It could be a pickup, but it would have to be lifted to get that far in without hitting anything, otherwise it could be a commercial truck of some sort.