• Jun 5th, 2019 5:46 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1899 posts
630 upvotes

Replace 1 or 2 tire?

Got a puncture on a sidewall that needs to be replaced. I am wondering if I should replace just the one or both tires on the axle. Mileage on the tire is 24,000km, the car is a AWD. The service guy said I got plenty of thread left on the rest of the tires and replacing just the one should be good, but I thought replacing both on axle was always the way to go.

Please advise, knowledgeable RFD. Thanks
8 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11456 posts
3719 upvotes
Toronto
I would buy 2 and put both new tires on the car and keep the good one which is on your car now as a spare.
You never know if 24000km later, another tire also flated, then it will comes in handy. lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28584 posts
13980 upvotes
Toronto
Get the shop to measure the other tire of the same axle. Compare a new vs the other tire and if wear is minimal, then replace just the bad one
Nov 10, 2015
315 posts
262 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
If youre only replacing one make sure its the identical brand and size as the tire on that same axle!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1899 posts
630 upvotes
Thanks for all your input.

Another silly question. I've ordered the tire and it won't be available for another 3 days. My spare is a donut and not full size. I will need to go on the highway in the meantime. I'm thinking putting on one winter tire as spare. Would there be any issue with that?
Last edited by manho on Jun 1st, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28584 posts
13980 upvotes
Toronto
manho wrote: Thanks for all your input.

Another silly question. I've ordered the tire and it won't be available for another 3 days. My spare is not a donut and not full size. I will need to go on the highway in the meantime. I'm thinking putting on one winter tire as spare. Would there be any issue with that?
No issue. just drive accordingly and make sure the winter tire pressure is correct.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13664 posts
7801 upvotes
Toronto
replace the pair and drive on the winter in the interim
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1899 posts
630 upvotes
Another stupid question.

The new tire is delayed. So I'm forced to drive with the one winter for longer. The winter tire is slightly narrower and downsized. I checked online and am told the circumference of the winter is 1.6% larger. I expect that by the time I'd get the new tire, I'll probably driven 500km with this set up. The car is a AWD. I take it this won't kill the differential, but it'll probably wear down a lot more so than usual.

Would it be necessary to do a differential fluid flush next time I go servicing the car? Car is brand new and only 24000 clicks in.

Thanks again for all your inputs. Much appreciated
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28584 posts
13980 upvotes
Toronto
I think you are fine. No need to worry .