• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2020 4:27 pm
[OP]
Nov 17, 2007
211 posts
15 upvotes
Thunder Bay

Replace an old furnace in Thunder Bay.

My old furnace is about to reach the end of service period and am looking for buying and installing a new one. I just got an offer $4300 CAD of an 2-stage Goldman furnace. I have no experience about the furnace and pricing. Any suggestions about the furnace and the price range. And also is this a good time to replace it or should I wait until summer? The furnace is still working.
5 replies
Feb 16, 2020
54 posts
16 upvotes
Windsor
Do you maybe mean Goodman ? If so look up the model online and you will find here here in Ontario for FAR less then that. The money is in the install and those guys are not afraid to charge. Try and find a guy in the trade that works for a larger company that will work with ya on installing it. As to your question, i say now is the time as once heat hits us they will be going crazy with work. Research and pick on your time, not once you have to take the first one that comes along.
Oct 8, 2010
178 posts
42 upvotes
Check out the rebates that are available:

https://www.uniongas.com/residential/sa ... ome-rebate $500 off towards your furnace and a few other upgrades.

Also make sure it's a variable speed motor GMVC. Depending on the size of your home, the price seems to be the going market rate for outside the GTA. It also depends on how complex the install is.

Does it come with 10 year labour warranty or just parts?

Goodman offers aluminum and stainless steel heat exchanger. Amana is their sister brand and offers both stainless steel heat exchangers and also a replacement warranty.

Get a few prices in writing from some companies and compare.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
707 upvotes
Waterloo
tb06mar wrote: My old furnace is about to reach the end of service period and am looking for buying and installing a new one. I just got an offer $4300 CAD of an 2-stage Goldman furnace. I have no experience about the furnace and pricing. Any suggestions about the furnace and the price range. And also is this a good time to replace it or should I wait until summer? The furnace is still working.
How do you know its reaching the end of service life? Is there a defined service life for the furnace?
What specific model and make is your current furnace and what issues are you having with it?

bargainhunter99 wrote: Also make sure it's a variable speed motor GMVC. Depending on the size of your home, the price seems to be the going market rate for outside the GTA. It also depends on how complex the install is.
2 Stage > Variable speed.

IMHO. Its less expensive with 0 benefit from going variable speed.
Variable speed model cost difference + Upsold to Proprietary thermostat + Install cost for new Thermostat = $1000 more than Two stage,
----
Pay it forward.
Oct 8, 2010
178 posts
42 upvotes
2 Stage > Variable speed.

IMHO. Its less expensive with 0 benefit from going variable speed.
Variable speed model cost difference + Upsold to Proprietary thermostat + Install cost for new Thermostat = $1000 more than Two stage,
I was referring to the furnace's blower motor not gas valve.

There are 3 type of gas furnaces.

Single Stage Gas Valve
Two Stage Gas Valve
Modulating Gas Valve

Some Single and Two Stage gas valve furnaces come in 2 models. Variable and Multi Speed Blowers.

A modulating (which sometimes can be confused for a variable) always comes with a variable speed blower and may require a proprietary thermostat to communicate which usually costs over $600. With the new design of Goodman and Amana modulating furnaces, they no longer require proprietary thermostats. The technology is built into the furnace (comfort bridge technology) when you pair it with a smart thermostat. A modulating furnace's heat exchanger will outlast any other furnace because it will take less abuse since it will be firing at low BTU's most of the time. Not only it saves more gas but it helps keep temperatures more consistent throughout the home. They also offer advanced features to help with dealer diagnostics if you have the proprietary thermostat. So it saves money in both short and long term.

The variable speed blower will help keep sound levels low and allow you to run the fan on continuous without consuming a lot of power. This is great if you have a media filter or better filtration system.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2251 posts
772 upvotes
Woodbridge
Prices are very different here in GTA ( much much cheaper ) . In mid 3K, you can actually get Lennox with variable motor. Goodman is around 3 K .
Furnace price varies bit depending on venting lenght and complication, new boot requirement or redo the gas line ( if you are changing face backwards)
I will assume Thunderbay doesnt have much competition like in GTA. You should still call around and find a reputable installer who gives you best deal ( not cheapest)
Good luck with your search.
tb06mar wrote: My old furnace is about to reach the end of service period and am looking for buying and installing a new one. I just got an offer $4300 CAD of an 2-stage Goldman furnace. I have no experience about the furnace and pricing. Any suggestions about the furnace and the price range. And also is this a good time to replace it or should I wait until summer? The furnace is still working.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy