• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2020 1:06 pm
[OP]
Nov 29, 2011
878 posts
1008 upvotes

replacement for aging Dell u2711?

Hello all,

i'm realizing that my 27" Dell monitor is getting old. not because of performance, just the fact that i've had it now for TEN YEARS. which gets me a bit nervous.

currently i'm using my early 2013 macbook pro 15" (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP669?locale=en_US) with the Mini Displayport to Dual-link DVI adapter to get to 2560x1440 resolution on the Dell

looking at new Dell monitors, it's looking like the DVI standard is basically DEAD. the only one that seems to have it is the 30" monitor, but that thing is very expensive...i think twice what i paid for the u2711.
seems like a lot of the new monitors only have HDMI or Displayport. and they're a LOT cheaper than 2k...so if i can avoid needing DVI, and still get the same resolution, then that would save the day.

Any suggestions on what to replace this aging monitor with, while being able to keep my current setup? I do professional creative work so prioritize accuracy other other issues. I don't game at all on this.

and...can this MBP output resolutions higher than 1920x1080 via other methods than dual-link DVI? im pretty sure it cannot with HDMI, as i use it on occasion and don't recall higher than 1080.

Thank you!
1 reply
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14774 posts
6013 upvotes
Ottawa
I'd be surprised if the hdmi couldn't output more than 1080p. The specs do say Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors so you should be good with displayport to a newer monitor with displayport.

I'm not sure why you want to replace a working monitor with another unless you want some other features like HDR
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.