Home & Garden

replacement garage door openers. Anyone identify this?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2015 5:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6103 posts
649 upvotes
SW Ontario

replacement garage door openers. Anyone identify this?

So we are buying a house, and we found out they don't have remotes for their garage doors. Nor is there an outside control. So we are hoping to get remotes for it and a panel to open from the outside ASAP, so we can have the parts as soon as we move in. However, I only have this one photo to go by (opener is pretty old, but it still works)

Not sure if replacement remotes that work would be available? or should I just get a new opener? Is there a certain type I can get that could just swap out the unit and use the existing track to install it easier and quicker?

thanks for any suggestions!

edit:

http://www.costco.ca/Chamberlain®-Click ... 20127.html
would something like this work?
9 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
410 upvotes
You can check out the company's website here: https://www.liftmaster.com/For-Homes/Ga ... or-Openers where you can find a local dealer.

BTW: Always make sure you change the garage door codes whenever you move. We left all the remotes when we sold our last home, but I had forgotten that I activated the built in garage door opener in my car. We moved 3 years ago and was recently driving by the house and I decided to push the garage door opener in the car. You guessed it - the garage door opened. The garage door codes were never changed. Considering that you can now open your garage door with your cell phone, not re-programming everything is just plain stupid.
Mar 6, 2012
767 posts
252 upvotes
LiftMaster is made by Chamberlain. I have a Craftsman opener (also made by Chamberlain) and when I was looking for a remote the way to tell if they were compatible was by the color of the programming(learn) button on the motor, so you would actually need a picture of the side or rear panel on the motor (or at least know the button color, its usually near the hanging wire antenna on the motor).

By Googleing Lift-Master security plus it looks like your model has an orange button and orange buttons use the 390 mhz frequency. That remote you linked is 300/310/315/372/390 MHz compatible, so it should work.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6103 posts
649 upvotes
SW Ontario
toy187 wrote: LiftMaster is made by Chamberlain. I have a Craftsman opener (also made by Chamberlain) and when I was looking for a remote the way to tell if they were compatible was by the color of the programming(learn) button on the motor, so you would actually need a picture of the side or rear panel on the motor (or at least know the button color, its usually near the hanging wire antenna on the motor).

By Googleing Lift-Master security plus it looks like your model has an orange button and orange buttons use the 390 mhz frequency. That remote you linked is 300/310/315/372/390 MHz compatible, so it should work.
Ok. Thanks. Being its from costco I might get that and just return it if it's not compatible on move in day. But that's very helpful. Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6103 posts
649 upvotes
SW Ontario
toy187 wrote: LiftMaster is made by Chamberlain. I have a Craftsman opener (also made by Chamberlain) and when I was looking for a remote the way to tell if they were compatible was by the color of the programming(learn) button on the motor, so you would actually need a picture of the side or rear panel on the motor (or at least know the button color, its usually near the hanging wire antenna on the motor).

Good point. I wouldn't have thought to de-program the old remotes. The original house owners probably have them.
Mar 6, 2012
767 posts
252 upvotes
yeah, it is a good idea to erase the old codes, which I have never done myself after purchasing my house. The old owners gave us 2 remotes... hopefully that is all they had. At least they moved not too far away and I know where (I've brought them some mail that I got for them) and we are on excellent terms.

But to remove all the old codes its usually as simple as holding the learn button on the motor for between 5 to 10 seconds.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16850 posts
5318 upvotes
Markham
if remotes + outdoor keypad cost is around $100
might as well buy a new door opener that comes with complete set

belt drive, nice and quiet
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/whisper ... ive/812504
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8620 posts
5549 upvotes
Mississauga
^This. If the opener is really as old as the OP says it may be time to replace it. Advantage is you'll get a new opener plus all the accessories.
Jul 9, 2015
117 posts
12 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
how much would it cost to get it installed?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)