• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2018 10:01 pm
[OP]
Jan 31, 2018
6 posts
2 upvotes

Replacement Key Fob Crosstrek

Hi,

I lost one of my key fobs for my 2015 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid. It has keyless entry and push button start.

Does anybody know of a cheaper way to replace it than going through the dealer?

I have seen them on ebay but how do I know if it would be compatible with my car? My dealer said they won't program a fob unless I buy it from them so I'd have to get a locksmith I guess.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm in Toronto, Ontario if anybody has any local solutions.

Thanks!
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5743 posts
3351 upvotes
Toronto
Search by model number from the remote you still have, it should either be on the back or under the battery cover.

There used to be a RFD go to guy for cutting/programming but not sure if he’s still around.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16403 posts
5140 upvotes
London
Ene from the cheap key cutting thread
[OP]
Jan 31, 2018
6 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks everybody. I called Ene and he doesn't do Subaru keys (yet - he said he was considering adding these since he's getting a lot of calls). I also contacted the people at keys4cars. They do Subarus but the quote they gave me was only $25 less than the dealer

It's looking more and more like I'm heading to the dealer.

I called a bunch of locksmiths and most don't have or can't program my key fob as it is the newer style.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1597 posts
2369 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
I have heard good things about www.keys4cars.ca
I solemnly swear, to never assume I have an inkling at which direction the market will head, and to never make any investments based on a timing strategy.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2018
6 posts
2 upvotes
I found a locksmith here who said he has a used one that he can unlock and reprogram for my car - is that possible?. I read somewhere else that you can't use a used fob - that it won't work. Which is true?
[OP]
Jan 31, 2018
6 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks. Have you heard about not being able to re-program a used fob? I also read that a re-programmed one may not be reliable. I am worried that a) it won't work (in which case I wouldn't pay I guess) and b) getting it to work but then it stop working when I'm away somewhere and then being stuck with a car I can't drive.
Nov 11, 2013
917 posts
1028 upvotes
Calgary
Why stress out and spend hours calling around. Just spend the money and get it done at the dealership. Guaranteed to work and you’ll get a 1 yr warranty on parts.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
3351 posts
2977 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights
forfun32 wrote: Hi,

I lost one of my key fobs for my 2015 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid. It has keyless entry and push button start.

Does anybody know of a cheaper way to replace it than going through the dealer?

I have seen them on ebay but how do I know if it would be compatible with my car? My dealer said they won't program a fob unless I buy it from them so I'd have to get a locksmith I guess.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm in Toronto, Ontario if anybody has any local solutions.

Thanks!
Hello. I order a key off of ebay (user name is virginkeys) for $160cad. I made sure it was a virgin key. One that's able to be programmable.
It arrived 10 business days later and today I took it to Toyota and they were able to program the key for me @ a cost of 65 bucks.
In your case. Ebay then email a bunch of Subaru's and get a quote for programming a key.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2018
6 posts
2 upvotes
I met a locksmith today who had a used fob but unfortunately he could not program it. I might try the virgin keys - I saw them on ebay. I'm going to contact a few dealers first to see if they'll do it. My dealership told me they will only program keys I buy from them.
[OP]
Jan 31, 2018
6 posts
2 upvotes
It's been a while since my original post on this. After the failed attempt with the locksmith, I got sidetracked and didn't have time to look for a key for a while. I ended up buying one on Ebay from virginkeys as suggested by chilli604. Took it to the dealer and they programmed it for me. The combined total of the key on Ebay and programming at the dealer was $210. WAY cheaper than the $450 it was going to cost me had I purchased the key fob through the dealer.

I thought I should update the issue here in case anybody else loses their Subaru fob.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2015
3351 posts
2977 upvotes
Vegas Golden Knights
forfun32 wrote: It's been a while since my original post on this. After the failed attempt with the locksmith, I got sidetracked and didn't have time to look for a key for a while. I ended up buying one on Ebay from virginkeys as suggested by chilli604. Took it to the dealer and they programmed it for me. The combined total of the key on Ebay and programming at the dealer was $210. WAY cheaper than the $450 it was going to cost me had I purchased the key fob through the dealer.

I thought I should update the issue here in case anybody else loses their Subaru fob.
Thanks for the update. Glad I could save you some money! Cheers!

Yes I spent about the same $215. Dealer wanted 450 lol