• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 12:00 am
[OP]
Sep 13, 2007
428 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto

Replacing Bathroom Fan

It looks like our current Bathroom fan, the Broan DX 90/110 is discontinued, and the new ones they carry do not have the same size (8" by 8 1/2 ")
so it looks like whichever handyman i bring in, will need to cut a bigger hole.

should i ask the person doing attic insulation to install the fan or it needs to be a licensed handyman?
Should i also co-ordinate and ask them to bring down the Spinning fans too?

Thanks
35 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15142 posts
16134 upvotes
Oakville
Is there a "handyman license"?

What do you mean by spinning fans?

Anyone can just cut a bigger hole and attach a new fan to the existing duct.
Feb 16, 2005
66 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Look into the Panasonic Bathroom fans. They're designed to install through the existing fan opening in the ceiling (Flex-Z bracket) so you don't have to go through the attic. You'll need to enlarge the hole to around 10.5" but I've found that the Panasonic FV-0511VQ1 DC motor one I recently installed in my condo to be much quieter and stronger than the old Broan it replaces. There's a lot of different models but I would recommend one with a DC motor.
Sep 4, 2006
871 posts
80 upvotes
picked up the Dewstop Breeze Easy from Costco for 49.97$. check if the store near you carries one.
I definitely will need to cut open the drywall a little. Not sure if the exhaust pipe is 3 inches, the new one is 4 inches. Is there an adapter I need to look for incase I need one?
Happy Koodo customer with S9 and the 25$ unltd Canada plan :-)
[OP]
Sep 13, 2007
428 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
just curious, since we on the same topic, is there anything wrong with my exhaust piping

notice it's not latched to the vent box...any concerns?
Images
  • FanExhaustPipe.jpeg
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1458 posts
719 upvotes
noobienoob wrote: It looks like our current Bathroom fan, the Broan DX 90/110 is discontinued, and the new ones they carry do not have the same size (8" by 8 1/2 ")
so it looks like whichever handyman i bring in, will need to cut a bigger hole.

should i ask the person doing attic insulation to install the fan or it needs to be a licensed handyman?
Should i also co-ordinate and ask them to bring down the Spinning fans too?

Thanks
1) there is no such thing as a licensed handyman

2) you may be able to just buy a replacement motor I stead of buying an entirely new unit. This assumes you are ok with the existing housing/vent cover.
[OP]
Sep 13, 2007
428 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
everyone i'm talking to, is refusing to touch the fan, even if it's to replace it, so annoying
Aug 4, 2006
592 posts
261 upvotes
GTA - Gwilly
noobienoob wrote: everyone i'm talking to, is refusing to touch the fan, even if it's to replace it, so annoying
I would just check with Broan to see if they supply a replacement motor (I assume you have a motor problem). Then it's a simply replacement. Could be as easy as unplug the AC power & 4 screws to remove the motor. You won't know until you remove the cover or look at an explored diagram of your unit.
Broan probably US site

Only worth doing if you were happy with the current setup.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1163 posts
249 upvotes
OTTAWA
OP: You can buy an "upgrade kit (a 70 cfm motor)" for about $25.- from Home Depot to replace the existing motor. I have been doing that several times. What you need to do is to unplug and unscrew (1 screw) the existing fan. Take off the old motor and install the new one.
[OP]
Sep 13, 2007
428 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
thanks for the advise. i look into both ideas

unfortunately, my model, dx90 is discontinued, and the motor is $104 and it's 2.5 sones,
the upgrade kit EC60 isn't compatible with this model
i may as well replace the whole things sadly :(
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1080 posts
803 upvotes
Montreal
Rockymountain wrote: OP: You can buy an "upgrade kit (a 70 cfm motor)" for about $25.- from Home Depot to replace the existing motor. I have been doing that several times. What you need to do is to unplug and unscrew (1 screw) the existing fan. Take off the old motor and install the new one.
Unless op has a silent one I don't think he wants a loud fan.
Sep 12, 2017
96 posts
53 upvotes
elpaso wrote: Unless op has a silent one I don't think he wants a loud fan.
Oddly enough some people want loud fans. I've run across this in a number of builds. If the bathroom is close to a living area like a kitchen or living room a loud fan will cover the noises in the bathroom. I've had a couple people request a loud fan for this reason. lol

CHM
Apr 17, 2016
322 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
Jumping into this thread with a fan related question.

I have a delta breeze fan, same as https://www.deltabreez.com/SIG110.php

It is in a flat roof, with spray foam all around it. I would like to replace with a panasonic fan, but it will be very difficult to remove the delta box without causing a lot of other damage and work.

Is there such replacement fan "guts" from panasonic that can be installed within the existing delta box, or is this typically not a possiblity? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1080 posts
803 upvotes
Montreal
CanadianHandyman wrote: Oddly enough some people want loud fans. I've run across this in a number of builds. If the bathroom is close to a living area like a kitchen or living room a loud fan will cover the noises in the bathroom. I've had a couple people request a loud fan for this reason. lol

CHM
The world is upside down...