Home & Garden

Replacing Bathroom Fan

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2023 1:39 pm
Sep 13, 2007
758 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
Ya I was able to find the fan motor, it's one of the obsolete ones....it's 115 bucks for. 10-12 year old product that's discontinued

The Asian in me, is thinking for 30 bucks more I can a much better fan that's a lot more quieter and better

On the other hand, I am starting to realize replacing a new fan unit can be challenging (ducts, mounting etc)
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
noobienoob wrote: Ya I was able to find the fan motor, it's one of the obsolete ones....it's 115 bucks for. 10-12 year old product that's discontinued

The Asian in me, is thinking for 30 bucks more I can a much better fan that's a lot more quieter and better

On the other hand, I am starting to realize replacing a new fan unit can be challenging (ducts, mounting etc)
You can probably swap the motor unit out of a $20 upgrade kit. Otherwise there are $60 Broan fans that are 0.5 sones.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1212 posts
269 upvotes
OTTAWA
engineered wrote: Funny, I actually tried that today on an old fan I have. The motor is very similar, but new one has a longer shaft and different plastic impeller design. Most of the parts were interchangeable but but there wasn't enough height in the box for new motor assembly. The new motor also fouled slightly on the old motor bracket, but I probably could have bent the sheet metal away.
Yes, the length of the shaft is different. I remember the centrifugal fan is taller too for the existing housing. Thus after switching the motors, I installed the old centrifugal fan which is shorter.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1212 posts
269 upvotes
OTTAWA
engineered wrote: You can probably swap the motor unit out of a $20 upgrade kit. Otherwise there are $60 Broan fans that are 0.5 sones.
Guess installing a new fan would be a challenge for OP, as his first post was looking for a "licensed handyman" to install a fan. He may not be so handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Rockymountain wrote: Yes, the length of the shaft is different. I remember the centrifugal fan is taller too for the existing housing. Thus after switching the motors, I installed the old centrifugal fan which is shorter.
Yea, I tried that too, but the new motor's shaft was still too long even with the old fan pushed down on it. I even tried the old motor rotor/shaft and put it inside the new motor stator/winding and bearings. It worked but it did slightly rub. I'm just going to get the Broan unit and cut a larger hole.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1212 posts
269 upvotes
OTTAWA
engineered wrote: Yea, I tried that too, but the new motor's shaft was still too long even with the old fan pushed down on it. I even tried the old motor rotor/shaft and put it inside the new motor stator/winding and bearings. It worked but it did slightly rub. I'm just going to get the Broan unit and cut a larger hole.
I would go with Panasonic.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1212 posts
269 upvotes
OTTAWA
engineered wrote: Yea, I tried that too, but the new motor's shaft was still too long even with the old fan pushed down on it. I even tried the old motor rotor/shaft and put it inside the new motor stator/winding and bearings. It worked but it did slightly rub. I'm just going to get the Broan unit and cut a larger hole.
I was at Home Depot about 2 weeks ago, I noticed they were carrying a bathroom exhaust fan of about 7.9"x8". The brand is ReVent, and the sones is 1. If the size is right, then you do not have to enlarge the existing hole.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2207 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
I’m going to want to do this in a few washrooms. Anyone got recommendations on someone in the GTA who can install the Panasonic ones along with the modifications/patching as required?
Sep 13, 2007
758 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
Rockymountain wrote: Guess installing a new fan would be a challenge for OP, as his first post was looking for a "licensed handyman" to install a fan. He may not be so handy.
ya...i have my limits....i can try to climb the attic to figure out where the roof leak is, and maybe change a few bulbs, but i'm not comfortable nailing a few bathroom fans together....

i took a look at the youtube/online instructions, then look at the fan, and it doesn't make sense to me.....

i definitely wish i wasn't in this predicament...but somethings are simply not me...
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1212 posts
269 upvotes
OTTAWA
noobienoob wrote: ya...i have my limits....i can try to climb the attic to figure out where the roof leak is, and maybe change a few bulbs, but i'm not comfortable nailing a few bathroom fans together....

i took a look at the youtube/online instructions, then look at the fan, and it doesn't make sense to me.....

i definitely wish i wasn't in this predicament...but somethings are simply not me...
OP: I was just like you at the very beginning. You will gain more experience with time.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Rockymountain wrote: I would go with Panasonic.
I'm shying away from them as they are much more costly.
Rockymountain wrote: I was at Home Depot about 2 weeks ago, I noticed they were carrying a bathroom exhaust fan of about 7.9"x8". The brand is ReVent, and the sones is 1. If the size is right, then you do not have to enlarge the existing hole.
I tried to use a Nutone 690upgkit that's 8-1/16 x 7-3/4, but it doesn't fit my 8-1/16 x 8-1/16 current fan box. It's also too tall to fit the housing.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/nutone ... 1000741263

I think I have an old version of the F675.
http://www.broan.ca/products/product/a6 ... bee515308e
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1212 posts
269 upvotes
OTTAWA
engineered wrote: I'm shying away from them as they are much more costly.

I tried to use a Nutone 690upgkit that's 8-1/16 x 7-3/4, but it doesn't fit my 8-1/16 x 8-1/16 current fan box. It's also too tall to fit the housing.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/nutone ... 1000741263

I think I have an old version of the F675.
http://www.broan.ca/products/product/a6 ... bee515308e
May be you look/google around to buy a new motor with a shorter shaft.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Rockymountain wrote: May be you look/google around to buy a new motor with a shorter shaft.
Maybe. Unless it's $10, it may not be worth it. The blower design is also outdated, but I could 3D print a new modern design to increase efficiency and quiet it down.
Sep 13, 2007
758 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
we were able to find a replacement fan motor, the motor is almost as expensive as the panasonic whisper

but given we didn't want to tear open the roof....i guess is worth it....

btw, i'm lucky to have some help....but next time not sure how i'm gonna install the fan myself
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1268 posts
655 upvotes
York Region
noobienoob wrote: we were able to find a replacement fan motor, the motor is almost as expensive as the panasonic whisper

but given we didn't want to tear open the roof....i guess is worth it....

btw, i'm lucky to have some help....but next time not sure how i'm gonna install the fan myself
If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy the replacement fan motor? I was just looking at my noisy bathroom fan and it's the same exact DX90 model. I cleaned it up good and it sounds better now. Keeping my fingers crossed
Sep 13, 2007
758 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
bacalhau4me wrote: If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy the replacement fan motor? I was just looking at my noisy bathroom fan and it's the same exact DX90 model. I cleaned it up good and it sounds better now. Keeping my fingers crossed
send you a PM
Feb 21, 2017
39 posts
13 upvotes
noobienoob wrote: send you a PM
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I just discovered we have an old DX90 and would appreciate the info as well in terms of a compatible replacement (be it complete fan kit or just motor) that would avoid widening the existing hole. Thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)