• Jun 5th, 2021 7:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3713 posts
2692 upvotes
Toronto

Replacing Bathroom Fan Switch

Hi all, was looking for some help. I'm replacing the fan switch in the bathroom with a timer switch.
20210605_161554.jpg

Would anyone be able to tell me which wires need to be pigtailed together please?

20210605_161959.jpg

Attached are the pics, thank you for the help!

20210605_162225.jpg
EDIT: More context:

The timer switch colours I believe are coordinated as such:

Black = Line
White = Neutral
Red = Load

Edit 2: I think I figured it out but any confirmation is appreciated!

Top Original Black (Line) to Timer Black
Timer White to Neutral Bundle
Bottom Original (Load) to Timer Red pigtailed

The box is grounded so I figured don't need green.
6 replies
Jan 21, 2011
627 posts
264 upvotes
GTA
White to white
Red to black at the top of switch( single black)
Black to the lower blacks

Your light is the load and your feed (supply) is the line.
Jan 21, 2011
627 posts
264 upvotes
GTA
Np, but tie in green as well. Normally you tie in green first, white second, load third and line last. Just proper practice.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3713 posts
2692 upvotes
Toronto
lamin wrote: Np, but tie in green as well. Normally you tie in green first, white second, load third and line last. Just proper practice.
Hey thanks for the help again, I tied everything together but the switch doesn't seem to power on.

I'm pretty certain I pigtailed everything correctly but I'm thinking I may have switched up the colours.

The switch manual diagram shows the red wire as the load and the black wire as the line for single pole.

So I think I need to pigtail the top black with the timer black and bottom blacks with the red timer.
Jan 21, 2011
627 posts
264 upvotes
GTA
Best to get a non contact voltage tester. If you were to put it close to the bottom loop, beeper would sound. With light off it would not sound. It is normally understood that your load is on top and line on bottom when it comes to a single pole light switch. Never assume though, always check.

Lutron timers and dimmer generally last longer than Leviton, but are normally more money.