• May 12th, 2015 3:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2693 posts
897 upvotes
Winnipeg

Replacing car fob

The fob for my 2000 Honda Prelude doesn't work all the time. Sometimes I need to press lock and then unlock over and over again for a minute before it works.

I'd like to replace it. I'm assuming the dealership would charge a fortune for this.

Are there any other options? Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2593 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
Have you tried replacing the battery??

Canadian Tire sells replacements as do a lot of locksmith services. Don't know which is the cheapest...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6868 posts
2666 upvotes
BC
Yes, battery replacement, and some other possibilities:

- find the 2nd. fob that you haven't seen for years

- open the case up and use an alcohol swab to clean the contacts for the buttons

- if the fob has been swimming or laundered get a new or used replacement off ebay and follow the programming directions

- if just the case or buttons are damaged get a replacement case/shell off ebay from China for a couple of dollars and transfer the electronics with no programming required
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5442 posts
902 upvotes
Try replacing battery first. CT or Shoppers Drug Mart also has batteries. Look in your owner manual. Should have instructions on how to replace.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2004
2693 posts
897 upvotes
Winnipeg
I remember changing the battery a couple years ago and remember it not helping, but maybe it has just worn down again.

Perhaps I'll try cleaning the contacts before purchasing a new one.

Thanks
Jan 30, 2013
522 posts
89 upvotes
Vancouver
I had the same issue with my 1998 Golf back in the day. New batteries didnt help and VW wanted $150 for a new fob.

I went to my local Future Shop (RIP) and bought a basic Viper Alarm with install for $150. Came with 2 new fobs and window shatter detection :D