Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3869 upvotes

Replacing condenser

For people who actually have experience and an actual idea.

How much would a fair mechanic charge for replacing a A/C condenser for everything (minus tax). Labour, replacing condenser, refilling, taking into account shop tools that mechanics always include, etc. This should be pre-tax as that varies according to the province.
9 replies
Sep 10, 2014
533 posts
89 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
gh05t wrote: They'll probably charge around $150 plus tax for new condenser from their hookup.

Price will depend on type of car and brand of condenser.

They'll probably get 2 cans of freon and one stop leak at about $6 each and charge you the Canadaintire price of $20 minimum each.

These are off course ballpark figures based on one buddy's experience.

They should have their own pressure guage.

Not sure about labour to replace condenser as the radiator needes to be removed too etc.
Please don't give advice on things you know nothing about.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
eldiablo wrote: Which car do you have?
This is quite important as the prices for condensers vary.
I cannot give a price but ca tel you that there is significant work involved. It required the refrigerant to be recovered (if it has not leaked out) then the work to remove and replace the condenser and then to purge and clean the system. Then a presume check (using nitrogen). You ill probably need a filter drier as well and, any other parts that may have failed or be close to failing.
I would not be surprised if it was close to or over $600 and hope the compressor has not failed.
Jul 20, 2012
752 posts
317 upvotes
Guelph
It depends on the vehicle. I had to replace the condenser on my old Chev Tahoe.Total time was 2 hours. Saying that it was a large vehicle and the condenser was easy to remove/replace. Also the system was flat so no need to recover any refrigerant.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12994 posts
7777 upvotes
Brampton
Depending on the car the part is $400-1200. Most of the time $600-800.

It'll be about 2-2.5 hours of shop time on average.

~$100 to recharge the system.

Again if we knew the vehicle this would be easier.
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
Go to autozone.com pinch in your car model and find air compressor. There you go.

Messerschmitt wrote: For people who actually have experience and an actual idea.

How much would a fair mechanic charge for replacing a A/C condenser for everything (minus tax). Labour, replacing condenser, refilling, taking into account shop tools that mechanics always include, etc. This should be pre-tax as that varies according to the province.
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
stt55pot wrote: Go to autozone.com pinch in your car model and find air compressor. There you go.
...lol

What does autozone.com have to do with the complete a/c condenser job in Canada? :|
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3869 upvotes
tebore wrote: Depending on the car the part is $400-1200. Most of the time $600-800.

It'll be about 2-2.5 hours of shop time on average.

~$100 to recharge the system.

Again if we knew the vehicle this would be easier.
Thank you. I was charged 750 all in, including the initial cost to check what was wrong. I felt a bit uneasy about the price after I was informed it takes about 3-4 hours to change the condenser but it was done in just over 1.5 hrs.
Car is a 07 Civic.

On the receipt the condenser only costs 165 but the labour is 320 for replacement and system recharge.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)