[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9133 posts
1587 upvotes
TO

Replacing hose bibb vacuum breaker - screw snapped

Hi folks,

I've had this backyard faucet that leaks water everytime we turn on to water grass. I looked up some DIY vidoes on YT and it tells me it's simple to swap out for a newer hose bibb vacuum breaker but they do mention if you have a screw in one and if it's snapped, you'd need to drill it out.

Not sure if anyone has replaced theirs recently - is this something we an do it or will need to hire a plumber to fix?

Pictures included (I threaded this in the last year or so b/c of the amount of water that splashes)
Images
  • IMG_20200706_132302.jpg
  • IMG_20200706_132158.jpg
  • IMG_20200706_132151.jpg
  • IMG_20200702_203837.jpg
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5031 posts
1709 upvotes
Is that...copper pipe resting directly on brick? That's a recipe for corrosion

In any event, cut the copper pipe from the inside and then run pex.

Copper --> copper to pex fitting with shut off valve --> pex --> new house bib
Let's hug it out
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9133 posts
1587 upvotes
TO
RCGA wrote: Is that...copper pipe resting directly on brick? That's a recipe for corrosion

In any event, cut the copper pipe from the inside and then run pex.

Copper --> copper to pex fitting with shut off valve --> pex --> new house bib
You mean this https://www.screencast.com/t/dQyZIwwdKb ? This was how builder had setup -
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1343 posts
1590 upvotes
GTA

Read one of the comments near the top - cut a straight line into the screw then unscrew it
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9133 posts
1587 upvotes
TO
SKill7 wrote:

Read one of the comments near the top - cut a straight line into the screw then unscrew it
Thanks so much, I saw your earlier post, didn't show up here but it was emailed in RFD notification.
I'll try this out. If not pliers it is lol will be a gamble if I break it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7599 posts
5769 upvotes
Ottawa
Sometimes these screw off easily and other times you have to cut them off. I used an angle grinder with a metal cut-off wheel but I have a steady hand. Then buy a screw-on replacement anti-siphon.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9133 posts
1587 upvotes
TO
CaptSmethwick wrote: Sometimes these screw off easily and other times you have to cut them off. I used an angle grinder with a metal cut-off wheel but I have a steady hand. Then buy a screw-on replacement anti-siphon.
I don't even have these tools but will try to get rotary grinder someone mentioned above, this will be a fun project lol. What if I tear off entire faucet lol
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4488 posts
3876 upvotes
Toronto
Funny this is the second vacuum breaker thread started in the last couple of days, and I don't even know what they're for. 27 years of home ownership and I've never had one, and don't recall seeing one growing up either.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9133 posts
1587 upvotes
TO
torontotim wrote: Funny this is the second vacuum breaker thread started in the last couple of days, and I don't even know what they're for. 27 years of home ownership and I've never had one, and don't recall seeing one growing up either.
Yeah coincidence, skill mentioned that above.

To be honest all this time I used to just say it's atap/faucet in backyard but it's been so problematic that I changed two hoses thinking it's them.

Then I researched and what do you know. Sigh. Apparently they last 5-7 yrs
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5280 posts
2717 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Funny this is the second vacuum breaker thread started in the last couple of days, and I don't even know what they're for. 27 years of home ownership and I've never had one, and don't recall seeing one growing up either.
It is to prevent back siphonage, and is a code requirement.

Many inspectors will make us snap off the screw head so they cannot be removed.
Last edited by Red_Army on Jul 7th, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2019
1343 posts
1590 upvotes
GTA
I started the first thread lol.

TorontoEh wrote: Yeah coincidence, skill mentioned that above.

To be honest all this time I used to just say it's atap/faucet in backyard but it's been so problematic that I changed two hoses thinking it's them.

Then I researched and what do you know. Sigh. Apparently they last 5-7 yrs
I was careful to not snap the screw so it can be easily replaced next time around.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3985 posts
3176 upvotes
Ottawa
I have never come across these vacuum breakers in almost 40 years. I have only seen the anti-siphon version in all the homes that I've seen. I've had to replace a couple outdoor faucets and I could only see and get the current anti-siphon faucets in the hardware stores. The anti-siphon valves have small plastic components inside and they break just as easily or easier than these screws so both solutions don't last long. It's a new thing to learn for me!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4488 posts
3876 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe my frost-free spigot has the vacuum breaker built in. I installed it about 18 years ago.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9133 posts
1587 upvotes
TO
SKill7 wrote: I started the first thread lol.

Skill7, thanks for posting, one of the best done explanations I've seen, he explains very well. I've seen the newer vacuum breakers he shows initially but most of us probably has the smaller ones attached to our backyard bibs.

I was careful to not snap the screw so it can be easily replaced next time around.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4352 posts
2459 upvotes
Toronto
TorontoEh wrote: I don't even have these tools but will try to get rotary grinder someone mentioned above, this will be a fun project lol. What if I tear off entire faucet lol
Funny enough I also had a vaccum breaker post from over a year ago with similar question. vacuum-breaker-garage-faucet-2296819/

I didn't need any rotary tool to remove it. The screw head is designed to snap off to prevent people from removing them. All i used was a small hacksaw to put a groove into the top of the remaining screw, used a screw driver to unscrew it, then a wrench to unscrew the entire breaker (it was super tight, almost seized on).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7599 posts
5769 upvotes
Ottawa
You can also drill out the screw or use a bolt removal bit.

They are - as said above - a code requirement so that outdoor bacteria or pathogens are not siphoned back into the house's water supply. Some hose bibbs have them integrated but I would rather have an attachment fail than the bibb's integrated anti-siphon valve. And some of those integrated units are cheap crap - and are VERY susceptible to frost damage if you don't have the slope just so.