• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2019 12:55 pm
[OP]
May 28, 2012
443 posts
405 upvotes
ONT

Replacing Kitchen Tiles

Our 16 year old house has about 200 sq.ft. of tiles in the kitchen area, some of which or cracked and dinged. It looks like when the house was built the whole area was tiled and then the cupboards installed on top.
Excluding the cost of new tiles, can anyone guesstimate the cost to remove the old tiles and replace? Would the cupboards have to be removed or would the new tiles butt up against the cupboards’ base?
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9529 posts
2127 upvotes
Somewhere
My kitchen needed re-tiling too.

I paid $700 for demolition. The guy tore out all the old tiles up to just behind the existing cabinets.

I installed Ditra and the new tiles myself, but I've been told installation is $5-$10/square foot.
:confused:
Jan 14, 2007
569 posts
190 upvotes
GTA North
mrct1944 wrote: Our 16 year old house has about 200 sq.ft. of tiles in the kitchen area, some of which or cracked and dinged. It looks like when the house was built the whole area was tiled and then the cupboards installed on top.
Excluding the cost of new tiles, can anyone guesstimate the cost to remove the old tiles and replace? Would the cupboards have to be removed or would the new tiles butt up against the cupboards’ base?
My 4 year old GTA North guesstimate based on doing 750sq ft (kitchen/laundry/2 pce bath/hall/front foyer)
Smaller job might be higher price
$3.50 per square foot plus HST (demo and removal of old tile)
$13.00 per square foot plus HST (Superseal/Thinset/quickdrive screws/levelers/transitions and install of 18*36 tile)
We bought the tiles separate so not included in above

I would definitely remove everything under the cupboards and re-tile the entire area with new. Would suck if you ever decide to replace the old cupboards and didn't use the same configuration and then had to redo a section. Floor Cupboard are only held to wall with a few screws so easy to remove.

We were replacing entire kitchen cabinetry so it was a no brainier.