[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1395 posts
732 upvotes
Toronto

Replacing light fixture

Hi there

Was trying to replace a light fixture and noticed that the junction box has 3 wires: white black and ground. The ground was not connected to anything. the original fixture wires white and black were connected to the just action white and black but the fixture ground was wrapped around the green ground screw on the mounting bracket.

New fixture has white black and 2 grounds.

I assume the one ground goes to the green mounting bracket screw and the other connects to the junction box ground?

Why wasnt the original fixture junction box ground commented to anything?

Metal junction box btw

Thanks!
JS
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8743 posts
4357 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
The ground should be connected to the box (usually via a screw). There are screws for that. Light (or whatever) fixture (assuming metal) is assumed grounded when it is fastened to the grounded box. Note that plastic boxes have metal grounding strips connecting the ground wire screw with the threads for the lamp fixture screws so it works the same as a metal box (theoretically).

The new fixture may have plastic or some non-conductive material between where the light bulbs and the fixture base (or the wires are there for extra safety). Are there two lights on the fixture? Might be one for each light source. You can pigtail it to the ground wire or the ground screw on the bracket. All effectively the same..
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1395 posts
732 upvotes
Toronto
3 lights on the fixture. Right now the shorter of the 2 ground wires are connected to the green ground screw on the mounting bracket. The other isnt connected and the one that was part of the junction box iant connected to anything either
JS
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5299 posts
2742 upvotes
James Stonehenge wrote: 3 lights on the fixture. Right now the shorter of the 2 ground wires are connected to the green ground screw on the mounting bracket. The other isnt connected and the one that was part of the junction box iant connected to anything either
The ground wire that feeds into the box along should be connected to the fixture box regardless . Why it wasn’t before is irrelevant, it should have been.
The ground wires from the light itself can be attached to the mounting bracket, the fixture box, or the ground wire feeding the box. It all will serve the same purpose so long as the incoming ground is attached to the fixture box
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)